37 coaches online • Server time: 11:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
El_Jairo

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2005 - 18:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I know, this is a stupid question, how to beat team X with team Y, but I pose it anyway.

Team X would be http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=211015

and team Y: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=212587

First I'll tell you what I do know.
I know my biggest strength is having block all over and frenzy on three players. If the sinks refuse to go down, they will need to go in the crowd. My main weaknesses are: AV7 and only 11 players.
Extra skills I have gained: +ST on a catcher: he will need to take care of the Sauri and Tackle on a lineman: he will take care of the side step and block skinks.

The gameplan is to tie up the sauri with linemen, and hope they will roll pow-skull enough to cause turn-overs. The downside of this is that there will be injuries we can not counter with reserve players.
The other priority is of course to knock out the skinks first and if possible push a saurus into the crowd.
An other mental note I made to myself is to make sure my tackle-lineman is close to ball handling in case it goes wrong that the rapid skinks will not be able to cash in on those errors.

Now have you guys any extra advice for me or experiences?
Is there any other way to minimize the injuries on the linemen, except for praying for bad luck on the oponents armour roles?
Macavity

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2005 - 18:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't tie up the Sauri. Avoid them. One blitz per turn, so dodge unless it exposes the ball carrier. Forget hurting the Sauri at all until at least most of the Skinks are out. Lizard players depend on Sauri tying up multiple opponents. Bash away at the skiinks and get a clear number advantage as quickly as possible.

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2005 - 18:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Try tieing up the sauri by good TZ placement, but if that fails just bung a lineman next to one. Only tie them up by placing a lino in a TZ if that plugs the Saurus, never put one lino next to two Sauri at once since that's just a free block and lets the other move anyway. If you get a chance to crowdpush a Saurus, even at 1d twice, do so. Skinks don't really need to go into the crowd, you can handle them, it's the Sauri that will make or break your plays.

Offence: Try getting deep into his half, and once you're there, pin all the sauri down so you can stall a couple of turns while the only players that can move (the skinks) may attempt to steal the ball. Use this opportunity to hit them around a bit. Should the skinks not bother you, enjoy the free stall and send in one or two available players to try and hunt them down. If you start to get hurt, you'll have to score, but delay as much as possible.

Defence: Stopping lizards from scoring is not easy. The ST 4 MA 6 Sauri make a good screen for a skink, so they can go deep (enough) fast for a skink to make a really easy two-turn TD. Granted he may have to dodge, but with Dodge and Stunty you're basically waiting on that 1/9 chance of failure. So you don't want to give him many opportunities at a quick TD (see previous paragraph about stalling). If you're ahead, he'll likely score quickly (unless there's the possibility of over-time which he may elect to go to, especially if the player advantage is his). In that case you can stall it out in your next drive. In case he doesn't score quickly, you'll want to try and pick off a few players. A foul could be useful here, but without a DP that's not really advisable. In this case, foul a skink since you'll get +1 to both AV and injury (at the least). Anything to take some of his players out and force a quick score. Crowdpushing is also a great help here.

I'm tired and can't think of anything else right now. Good luck anyway.

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2005 - 19:11 Reply with quote Back to top

You should really go for putting a lino on to every Saurus. Since none of them have block, his RR will be gone in no time, and therefore ballhandling will be difficult as he will have to stick to the running game. And blitz a skink every turn. Good luck

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2005 - 19:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Avoid the sauri - last action of the turn should be to dodge away or block them (a 1 die block is better than dodging, so if you can get players to assist, do that instead).

Crowdpushing is the way to go, even if you're at a 2 dice against you block, you've still got a 44% chance of a push, so for the last space it's a fair chance. With the skins, it's a tough decision. Most people would knock them down due to the +1 injury, but since they're annoying and I like it too much to resist, I'd crowd push them anyway.
tautology

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2005 - 21:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Norse suck.
That being said, blitz his skinks with your tackler, then withdraw him to prevent being counter-blitzed (i.e. protect your tackler).
If your tackler is not around, use the Berserkers.
Crowd-push the Sauri if possible, but not at the expense of giving up protection on the ball.
Otherwise, tie them up by marking them with a linemen. Remember, he has 2 rerolls and does not have block....throwing blocks will cause turnovers or burn rerolls.
A lizard team without skinks can do nothing (or very little, at least).
Good luck!
tza

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2005 - 22:00 Reply with quote Back to top

get a DP'er as well - fouling sauri can prove extremely valuble - are only 6 of them and they will go down on normal blocks as well:)
RC

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2005 - 22:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Norse is actualy good a beating the Lizzards. Do what they said on offence just place a lino next to each Saurii and make sure that they can not get away. Then screen the ball carrier so that he can not get 3 skinks alone on him. Block the skinks any chance you get. On defence keep the tackler handy and try make sure he have to dodge the scoring skink past him . Typicaly for lizzards when they go for the 2 turner is along the side lines and 1 skink to handover to. Make him pass instead... Lizzards vs Norse is not a hard matchup.

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2005 - 22:30 Reply with quote Back to top

tza wrote:
get a DP'er as well - fouling sauri can prove extremely valuble - are only 6 of them and they will go down on normal blocks as well:)

Bit late for that, friend. The teams are set. Wink

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2005 - 08:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Blitz a skink once a turn untill they're dead.

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2005 - 08:51 Reply with quote Back to top

MrMojo wrote:
Blitz a skink once a turn untill they're dead.

While this may seem like a great idea it's really not a valid tactic without some sort of damage amplifier such as MB/Claw/RSC/Piling On. While there may be a good chance of knocking a skink down there's less than a 50% chance of breaking armour without any of the above mentioned skills. Once you break the armour there's a good chance of a KO or even a cas but the chances of a stun are as great as those of breaking armour.

It's a good idea - but if you count on it to win you the game you've already lost.
SideshowBob

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2005 - 09:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Beating Lizzies with Norse is hard, since Lizzies rule and Norse suck. The teams that causes trouble for Lizards are Dwarves (MB/tackle/guards), Elves (Blodgers) and Zons (Even more blodgers). But they can and should pretty much outplay every other team if the coach is skilled.
Firesky

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2005 - 09:43 Reply with quote Back to top

cover the 6 sauri with one lineman each... use your tackler to blitz a skink each turn... in critical situations use the 2d against block...

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2005 - 09:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I really haven't had a lot of experience with or against lizards, so I may or may not be making wonderful suggestions but anyway, some things to consider ...

While the "until they're dead" part is probably a bit hard to achieve, removing skinks from the field really limits the available options as far as ball carriers go. Go for 3d blocks on them if you arent hitting with a tackler. You are definately better off hitting skinks than saurus if the aim is to remove them from the field.

It is certainly possible (although usually painful) to tie up saurii ... with AG1, they change from being highly mobile blitzers to stuck right where they are. This tends to come in *very* handy on defence if you want to pull apart a saurus cage... painful it may be, but it will give you a good chance of getting to the ball carrier in the following turn if you play it right.

Also, keep in mind that he only has 2 RRs - if you can get your opponent to waste his/her re-rolls (without wasting your own) you will be well ahead (ask any 'fling coach how effective it can be to take the opposition re-rolls away Wink ).

El_Jairo

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2005 - 10:34 Reply with quote Back to top

@ Mezir: I get your point of not putting linemen next to sauri when it not is necessary. It's better to screen then them, since giving free blocks is not that wise with AV7. On the other hand this is a part of my tactic of removing his RR and forcing turn overs. But it is indead better to wait for him to put his Sauri next to you and giving you the free blocks.
The point about stalling: I believe it is only usefull after turn 5, or is it possible to stall for three turns or more? I can see the point at not ginving them the chance in scoring back in two turns. And also it is the ideal moment to take full benefit from the ball possesion to hunt down the skinks.

Thx everyone for their advice, it was pretty much what I was expecting after reading both racial strategies. I think I like the blitz a skink every turn policy but as Redfish said the first priority is the ball, on offense as on defense.

I will try to cage near a sideline, to force him to put skinks in front of it, so it will be easier to blitz one skink into the crowd each turn. I know it is not really nice for the skinks, but I guess Lizzie coaches are used to the fact that any opponent will try to maime them.
I do have to watch out for being too preoccupied with maiming skinks. First priority remains getting the ball as deep as possible in their half.

Now something about defense: I will keep the tackler always deep enough to be free to blitz a skink. The linemen should screen the suari to prevent them from joining on the offense. If it is not possible to blitz the ball carrier, make sure he needs to dodge from my tackler to score. I do believe we have a benefit with three frenzy guys: they can't put a half cage next to the sideline, unpunished Wink

Jump to: