62 coaches online • Server time: 18:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Getting diced 3 game...goto Post 7s for fummbl?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Voorn

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 05:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Checked on the registry tonight to see about a recovery match for my skaven (I had been mauled in previous game and needed a recovery game to at least get my miss next game players back). I see that someone has a single team registered as looking for a game. The team is within my range but is not too terribly tough looking. It had an ungodly high fan facter but the players were average. I though well, they are still much tougher then the few guys I have who will be able to play, but doable. So, I ask this player if he will play me with his orcs (he only has one orc team registered) and he says yes. So, I host and he comes with a different team then he had registered as looking for group. I refuse to play because not only did not bring the team he had registered. However, since it was also an "orc" team and team names were not mentioned (I had no reason to think that was nessessary as he only had the one team registered) , The admins forced me to play this ringer team.
My question is this...
Is it a viable tactic to do this in order to cherry pick free wins? Now, I am a poor player (crappy to be honest) and he would have won even with the team I agreed to play so I definately dont mind losing games (or I wouldnt be playing this. lol ) But I dislike losing to such an underhanded and dirty trick. Would you be upset if this were to happen to you?
Superstar

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 05:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I had it happen to me once, i said it was not the team i agreed to play, and just logged off. He whined and bitched about it. However, i would think, that if i started to setup, i would have sealed the game. I doubt this tactic is in any way valid.
Aries3

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 05:19 Reply with quote Back to top

thats rather underhanded... id just pass the word around, there are only so many people here, and people will eventually stop playing him/he will only be able to play the Wuhans of fumbbl
incantrix

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 05:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Had that too, also with two orc teams - one advertised on gamefinder, the other not. When the far better team showed up I pointed out I clearly meant the one on gamefinder but it was pretty clear the other player was going to try to browbeat me into playing. In the end I noticed that the new team was much higher rated and pointed out that it wouldn't upload at which point they just quit. Might have been an honest mistake but they seemed mightily ready to argue the point..
Voorn

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 05:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the reason he got away with it is because his multiple teams are of the same race. Sucker an opponant in with a weak team with super high ff and then stick in the powerfull kill team of the same race for the actual game. Since I had no way of knowing he had multiple teams of the same race, I did not specify a team name assuming he would bring the only one he had on as looking for a game. The admins saw only the race name mentioned and forced the game.
Not saying that I reccommend this tactic in any way shape or form, just seeing if I was only one thought it not "right". Regardless, I added that player to my info page as a player I will not play again.
Funny thing was, immediately after the game, he tried to sucker me into an immediate rematch using the same ploy.
Incantrix, I see your post. Probobly the same player.
banana_fish900

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 05:34 Reply with quote Back to top

With all due respect Voorn I can't imagine this is the full story. Either you aren't telling us everything or you made a horrible case to the Admins about how this came to pass.
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 05:38 Reply with quote Back to top

lol...I just saw which coach you mean...6 teams, all Orc. Something makes me think he tries this trick a LOT and support tickets need to be filed in that case.

While I suppose there might be another side to the story...looking at that team lineup, and knowing that he only put one team on gamefinder, I would have to say the Orc coach is trying to abuse what he beleives is a loophole in the site rules. I hope the admin that enforced this game was drunk or something, and will not make that mistake again.

Support ticket this guy Voorn, and anybody else he falls victim to should as well. Once the admins have a 'paper' trail proving this is a standard tactic of his, hopefully a ban will result.

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 05:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually it IS the full story. The thing is, I had no way of knowing he was not bringing the agreed upon team until after he had logged onto my game. At this point both of out teams left the looking for game list. The admins only had our word about the thing and since I had not specifically said the exact name of the team he had registered, he was able to substitute in the different team. I was told to just be mnore careful next time. The thing is, when this is done, you have no possible way of knowing that that sort of thing is going to happen. The only way to not fall prey to this is to type out the exact name as well as the race of the team you are intending to play which should not be nessessary when the player only has one team of that race registered. Should being the key term in the last sentance.
Corperateslave, I did send a support ticket. I got the receipt back saying it was resolved. The resolve was that the guy got away with it due to the loophole and I was the one warned about it and told I was going to be banned for causing trouble. I personally dont think trying to stand up for what is right when I see a dishonest practice being done is all that wrong a thing to do.
Did you also notice that all of his teams have names that are so similer that it is easy to get them confused if you arent paying attention? That only makes it even easier for him to do this.
DonTomaso

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 05:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Trying those cheap tricks, and still have a winning-% of 11. Nice going... Can't be easy being unarmed in the battle of wits.

No way you should have played that game, man!

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 06:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I would have refused to play. I mean the admins aren't going to strap you to your comp and literally force you to play out the game so the only alternatives they would have is to either do nothing and the game gets canned or ban the victim of this cheap trick, which is unlikely...
Bacillen

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 06:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Yup same guy did this to my new high elf team today.

He fouled the living hell out of me too he did...but then he knew what I didn't: that the game was in fact not going to count because of the TS40+ difference limit. (I hadn't seen the he actually brought to the match and didn't know how badly outgunned I was).

TS40+ down I might've been but I still won it.
Shame it didn't count really.

No idea what I was thinking when I agreed to play it.
Voorn

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 06:26 Reply with quote Back to top

That is the problem. Since I did not specify the particuler name of the team that was registered to play, I was the one going to be banned if I did not play the game. Even though there was only one team regged to play and they brought an entirely different one. The "oversight" of giving the guy the benifit of assuming he was honest and would bring the team agreed to made me somehow responsible for his actions Shocked so that if the game was not played, I would be the one banned instead of him. How is THAT for justice? Rolling Eyes
Mully

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 06:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Lesson learned : always state which team is playing BEFORE you load it up

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 06:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Angry post... removed...
=o)

Sorry!

And I misunderstood some things, I guess...

Sorry, Voorn...

Last edited by DonTomaso on %b %16, %2005 - %08:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
Voorn

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2005 - 06:45 Reply with quote Back to top

LOL, I know its really easy for me to get games. But then again, I got my low stat scores by sucking at the game honestly. Embarassed
 Jump to: