52 coaches online • Server time: 23:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jeppan

Post 5 Posted: Dec 17, 2005 - 02:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Heya. I have recently started a DE-team that I want to bring into a league. I have no prior experience with DE so my playstyle is a bit hampered (I have mainly played orcs, skaven and human).

I am having a lot of trouble on the offense when it is my kickoff. I cannot seem to develop any other strategy than running on one side with as many as possible and then try to get the ball there via a long pass or a middle-man.

On the defense I am having a difficulties against the cages.

I have read the racial strategies and I have browsed this section of the forums (and I found a few things that I find useful).

Please speak your mind. Any advice would be valuable.

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=221016
Here is my team for consideration (and if anyone would like to look at the games I have played you are of course most welcome to comment on misstakes and such.)

Thoughts on how I should continue developing the team skill-wise would be welcome as well.

- Jesper
pac

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2005 - 02:57 Reply with quote Back to top

It's too late for me to post at length here, and many others are far more expert than I. Just three quick points:

• More re-rolls can't be undervalued - the 11 Linemen, 3 RRs starting option is quite a nice one, and it can be worth prioritising the purchase of a further RR ahead of positionals

• Don't worry about losing early games: Dark Elves take time to find their feet. Your development choices look textbook, and the team will improve a lot as Block/Dodge becomes more widespread

• In terms of tactics, the feint is everything for DEs: threaten a possible two turn TD, but rarely go for one; send most of the team down one flank, but send at least one spare guy down the other (some coaches will undermark him, some will overmark him); hit them when they expect you to dodge, and vice versa; run when they expect you to pass, and vice versa

YMMV! Very Happy

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2005 - 03:00 Reply with quote Back to top

One of the best things about DE's as they progress is you have 6 players that get blodge after only 1 skill up. Then you can diversify skills accordingly. At lower spp they arent quite as strong.

On offense it depends on what type of team you are up against. Dark elves can cage pretty effectively, and against a slower team can also run and gun.

On defense against cagey teams a good defense to employ at times is to surround the cage but do NOT touch any of their players. They will only be able to knock down one of your players with a blitz. After your opponent moves guys next to your players on his turn, set up as many 2d blocks as you can to knock them back and dodge everyone else away so you are again left with no players touching the opposition. This is a basic way that elves can "out-bash" many bashy teams. Use your AG-4 to your advantage - its an excellent weapon.

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2005 - 05:35 Reply with quote Back to top

First of all, your next purchase should be a reroll.
You should try to have 4 rerolls by the time you hit TR 190 or so, then 5 by 210 or 220. 6 is a bonus, but not really necessary. (Elves need more rerolls than Orcs or Dwarves)

On offense, I think things work best if you develop an accurate, safe throw, and hopefully strong-armed or AG5 thrower. +MA is nice too.
Give him the ball and send him back out of blitz range.
SPREAD your elves out as much as possible and make your opponent respond to multiple scoring threats. DON'T get bottled up on one side or the middle. (especially against high MA teams like wood elves or skaven, or even lizards).
Don't take unnecessary chances with the ball...if you can safely hold back another turn, don't risk a pass without a reroll available to catch the ball.
Learn how to control the field by screening out the opponents.

You can also develop a successful running game, but in my opinion this is more difficult with elves. If you do try it, consider dump-off and nerves of steel to help protect against broken cages.
Good luck!
Jeppan

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2005 - 03:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Good tips but please keep them coming! I need more advice! Very Happy
Mordus

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2005 - 15:47 Reply with quote Back to top

One thing that is good about DE, Especially once you get their positionals and only have a few lino's is the fact that they are the middle ground (just like hummies) but have AG4 compaired to hummies 3. They are All Str3, they are all Ag4, they are mostly AV 8. They are better than every race at something... they can bash better than a lot of the smallers races (especially with that blodge that was mentioned) and they can run circles around the bigger bashier races. There are so many tactics especially on offense that works it all depends on who you are playing really. You can easily do a side push and run halfway down the field, having such a protective line that it is simple to get in for the two turn TD with very little risk. You can also very easily spread out your team more and break through at a few points leaving your options open of how you want to pass the ball down the field. Like was stated before, they can easily do a fake and push to one side, waiting for him to overcommit and then pass over to the other side, while tieing up most of his team. A good DE team is a force to be reckoned with.
DE can be one of the most diverse teams out there, especially early on, it is just a matter of the tactic you want to use at the time. Use the AG4 it is a big advantage, whether you are dodging a few guys to put them in the perfect position or making that pass in early games. Use your AV8, it is a lot better than 7 and is worth the risk when you really need to put a TZ on someone.
Find a good player and look for a low TR/TS DE or Pro Elf team (very similar at low TR/TS) and watch how they play, but really you can do just about anything with DE, just need to exploit the advantages you are pulling over the enemies. Shocked
SergeiBautin

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2005 - 16:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Får jag råda dig till att skafa en Dirty Player om du nu ska vara med i Svenska ligan? JAg har gjort ett tappert försök där, och det enda som räknas i den är bloood. Hoppade av, för det var inte riktigt min sort som var där och lekte. Men det kan ju ha blivit bättre, så vem vet? Annars ser laget trevligt ut, det kommer säkert funka, kör hårt bara!
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2005 - 16:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Try to keep it in english on general, english topics, ok?

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2005 - 16:19 Reply with quote Back to top

try to play games as they come, do not evade races as you play, the more difficult it looks the more you can learn.

I learned the hard way how to play delfs and right now I not sure I know every trick in dark elf play.

Btw. it does not hurt to diversify your linos. Getting blodge side step looks nice , but 2 sidestep diving tackle linos really can tie a fast scoring player...

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2005 - 16:31 Reply with quote Back to top

i agree with sinner, the DT sidestep combo is pure evil. But without block i not sure it will help much

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2005 - 16:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Jeppan wrote:
I am having a lot of trouble on the offense when it is my kickoff. I cannot seem to develop any other strategy than running on one side with as many as possible and then try to get the ball there via a long pass or a middle-man.

Why do you want to score in 2 turns if you have 8. Its not a must to flee on the sides and score that fast since darkelves are tough as hell. Lets get some hitmen and 1-2 dirty players, and throw that pass at the most comfortable moment in powerplay situation.
Paddock

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2005 - 16:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Dark Elves are the bashiest of the elf teams. They can develop a running game if necessary, which would look much like a human running game although when necessary you can dodge more easily.

However, the passing game is still your most potent scoring threat. On offense, you should be trying to punch a hole in the opposing LOS and flooding the opponent's half with at least four players, which will force him to commit at least that many players (and probably more) to marking them to stop any two-turn scores. Pick up the ball and move the thrower out of blitz range.

In turn two, you have two main options, based on your opponent's reactions in turn one. If the opponent has used many players to mark your potential catchers, consider starting a sideline run down the other wing of the field. you can throw the ball to a carrier. If instead the opponent only used a bare minimum number of players to mark your potential catchers, consider dodging someone free for a blitz which frees up a catcher in position to score. Then you can run and throw, or better yet run-handoff-run-throw-catch-run for a TD this turn.

That's the basic idea. If you get lucky in the first couple turns and score some early KOs/BHs/whatever, you might be able to dodge your players together and simply run an 8-turn cage. Nothing is more entertaining than successfully dodging an entire cage away from the defense...

Regarding defense, you will first have to accept that you could lose a couple players while the opponent takes his time with the ball. The best you can do is what's been stated before: get players in front of the cage but not necessarily touching it, push back the front of the cage without following up, and dodge your players away to minimize the damage you take each round. Don't let the cage advance forward more than one square a turn. If the cage goes sideways trying to go around your wall, you've accomplished half your task already.

Also try to take some faster players around the back corner of the cage and lay TZs on the rear corner players, which forces them to either hit or dodge away to maintain the cage's forward momentum and integrity. If the entire cage turns back to pop your flankers, you've slowed the cage and perhaps have an opening to hit the ball carrier. Sometimes your flanker/backstabber types can dodge loose for a quick catch in a blitz-ball pickup-dodge-throw-catch-TD after you crack the cage and blitz loose the ball.

Last edited by Paddock on %b %18, %2005 - %18:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
pac

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2005 - 17:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Another thought: against a cage, prepare for the best as well as the worst. If you are lucky and that crazily risky attempt to blitz the ball-carrier comes off, you want to have a couple of players left who haven't acted yet to cover the ball - if possible - and even try and snatch it and throw it to yet another free player - if you can spare one.

The dice the caging player will throw are more reliable, but he has to keep rolling them with no mistakes for several consecutive turns to get a TD. The defender's dice offer poorer odds, but you can try to make sure that they only need to come up right for you <i>once</i> for you to get the counter-attacking score.

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2005 - 18:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Methinks cages scare the hell out of pac. Laughing

Wink

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2005 - 18:24 Reply with quote Back to top

If you are faced with a cage, tie up the cage by marking the two players at the back of the cage. That way, if they block, they open the cage for you - and if they want to move they'll have to blitz or dodge with their players. Guarding sidesteppers are awesome for this, if they somehow block you and only get push results, you'll get a guard *into* the cage. You will also want to frustrate the forward movement by putting players two spaces away from the front of the cage (don't mark them because a block will move the cage forward).