79 coaches online • Server time: 23:04
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
fen

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2005 - 11:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Voorn wrote:
Fouling IS ok. No one is saying it isnt. The question is at what point do you cross the line from using it as a tool within the context of the game to play a fair and balenced game within the framework of the game as it was intended to using to just be a jerk trying to abuse it to the point of which it was never intended or even concieved of just to try to ruin the game for everyone but yourself?

You can foul once a turn. That's the framework of the game. It's optional to foul less. You can get assists, that's also in the framework of the game. It's optional to have less assists.

Someone fouls you every turn with 4+ assists, they're just playing within the context of the game. Infact it's those players who expect less fouling that are being unrealistic.

The game has 16 potential fouls per side per game. Each foul has a potential for up to 7 assists. This is the design of the game. Deal with these facts, or find people who like to play gentlemanly-sponge-bowl.
tza

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2005 - 11:15 Reply with quote Back to top

putting the hurt on the RO ususally works wonders - SI/RIP and the apoc goes leaving you free to hurt those GRs at your whim:)

Not all put their RO on the LOS - just enjoy some quality time ripping the LOS apart Smile the RO will make it to the LOS sooner or later then, and its a player so expensive that its bound to cost an apoc:)

Other than that, hurt the GRs. hurt hurt hurt them Smile
PandaPower

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2005 - 11:30 Reply with quote Back to top

anyone here thought of playing halflings against them? big trees, small flings... if you cant injure them , at least you'll make them laugh so much at the failure of your thrown teammates that theyll forget to score!
Optihut

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2005 - 11:42 Reply with quote Back to top

fen wrote:
The game has 16 potential fouls per side per game.

Discounting Blitzes, Injury Time and Overtime - but yeah, in most games it's 16 potential fouls per side.

EDIT: Fixed a screwed up quote bracket and a typo.
Kamahl

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2005 - 11:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Beating skaven should not be that hard for team with similiar tr . You'll need 4 tacklers and preferably some stand firm players to clog the line.
use tacklers to make last line of defence, strech them to cover entire widh with tacle zones. In front of each tackler put a player to prevent blitzing the tackler out of position. This way, only weak spot is front 3 players on the line-skaven coach need to remove your player to score,since only way to push thry without a ton of rolls is directly thry the middle. Forcing them to bash away is making them play your game Wink
When you get the ball, play smashball for a full half and see what happens. War of atrittion is always good against av7.

Foul if you have to but dont be a jerk with it; fouling to prevent a player from blitzing the ball carier is good idea, othervise never risk losing a player to a ref call[16% 1st time] for a smaller chance to hurt a player.

*Although i think that fouling opposing best player on the pitch every turn is low class[and often leads to defeat] i tend to turn the blind eye on mangling 1turn scorers - they are just a loophole in the current rules.
Opponent should always have a chance to react [get a turn] before td. Now when you are able to nail a td in 1 turn with ma8 player that is class Cool but having ma10+ is asking for a chainsaw cosmetic surgery for the entire team Wink
pac

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2005 - 12:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Topper wrote:
No matter what team you play, you enjoy getting your players killed or crippled.

I don't think that this what you meant to say. In fact, I think there should have been a 'not' in there somewhere. Wink

However, I agree with the statement as it stands. Highly-developed stars may occasionally be another matter, but player death and injury happen so frequently that you have to laugh when it happens. On cheap teams in particular, sudden RIPs can be greeted with a cheer! Very Happy

I stand by my earlier argument: in essence, play with a more carefree attitude, and worry a little less about your players, and you will find a far wider range of opponent to be enjoyable to play.

Deliberate team-killers are easy to spot if they are what really concern you: no one would be criticised for avoiding them.

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2005 - 12:10 Reply with quote Back to top

blizzt95 wrote:
Amazing how this turned from a beating-skaven topic to a is-it-okay-to-foul topic.... didn't even take all that long.

It's a shame actually: this is all good material that could be going to good use making the current 13-page on-going fouling thread even longer. Instead it goes to waste here and draws off comments. Crying or Very sad

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2005 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Optihut wrote:
fen wrote:
The game has 16 potential fouls per side per game.

Discounting Blitzes, Injury Time and Overtime - but yeah, in most games it's 16 potential fouls per side.

You can't foul on a blitz.

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2005 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

It is funny how we started with giving good actual advice on how to legitimately defeat skaven (easy to do by the way) to posting that the absolute only way to ever win a game is to gang fould your entire team each and every turn without using such things as tactics or strategy. It also appears that if you have not killed at least 16 of your opponants players and scored 16 times to your opponants zero. Then again, it also seems that if your opponant is not forced to retire thier team and switch to a different race in disgust, you have not won either. Rolling Eyes

Immitated in chat by another member "S**n"
Panda_

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2005 - 16:00 Reply with quote Back to top

As a skaven coach, i have some advices.

If you play elves. Don't try to outbash the skavens. Due to their Storm Vermin and Rat Ogre, they usually have more Mighty blow than you do.
Witches are the only one that are can hurt badly, more due to their natural JumpUp Frenzy. And Wardancer are not bad too, but they are weaker than SV.

Compare the Lineman now:
Skaven lineman have: Block Tackle
Elven lineman have: Block Dodge.
And players are cheaper. That means that often the skaven player can stand more casualty than the elf.
Quess who stand better the opposition ? Ok, maybe if you have better armor.

When we look at skills, naturally skaven have 2 more mighty blow than the elves. When people get some double, elfes get MB or Guard. Skaven get Claw or Guard, or Foul Apparence. Guess who hurt the other more ? Of course skaven.

So play with your mobility, don't let many skaven alone, they will profit from their MV, but tie some. Make some wall of tackle zone on the one that are deep in your field and tie their player on the midfield.

If you play a bashy team, you should already know what to do. But be carefull of not loosing the ball. One ball lost often means a lost match.

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2005 - 16:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Voorn wrote:
It is funny how we started with giving good actual advice on how to legitimately defeat skaven (easy to do by the way) to posting that the absolute only way to ever win a game is to gang fould your entire team each and every turn without using such things as tactics or strategy ...

Mate, no one has actually ever said any of this (in this thread at least). Very Happy That's just the way you seem to have chosen to interpret it. Please re-read what I and others have actually posted. Wink

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2005 - 16:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Make a Chaos team and pick Tentacles on the first double for each player.
No Claw, RSC, Big Hand... just Tentacles.
Then take 5 Tentacle players and space them out to cover your end zone.
Perfect GR defence! And with no Claws, these Chaos might even be able to get a game against a Skaven team!
Laughing
Voorn

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2005 - 16:41 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
Voorn wrote:
It is funny how we started with giving good actual advice on how to legitimately defeat skaven (easy to do by the way) to posting that the absolute only way to ever win a game is to gang fould your entire team each and every turn without using such things as tactics or strategy ...

Mate, no one has actually ever said any of this (in this thread at least). Very Happy That's just the way you seem to have chosen to interpret it. Please re-read what I and others have actually posted. Wink

You failed to quote the rest of the sentance for some reason. Rolling Eyes This is what is being espoused. Not only is that behavior despicable and underhanded, it is simply not needed to win the game (unless you are an even worse player then myself which is not likely). The person asked for actual advice to help win games, not how to twist the rules of the game to the point where they are quivvering on breaking and try the best to ruin the game for everyone. Especially, when that is not nessessary to win easily in a fair and humane way.

f_alk

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2005 - 16:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Voorn, do think it could be somehow not all others fault that you are/feel consistently misunderstood by all (but one, in this thread)?
Voorn

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2005 - 16:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps I have been sheltered in my life outside of here. If I have been, I am glad of it. Regardless, When I play, I play to win and have a good time as well as make sure my opponant has one as well. I try to win in a manner in which both players can enjoy themselves. I disliked playing against people who feel the need to kill 16 of my players using fouls each and every game. I dislike playing people who are up by 4 TD who feel the need to foul players on turn 16 after they have already won the game. I also dislike playing people who care nothing about scoring or even winning the game but are more intent upon destoying destroying your team to the point of retirement each time you play them.
If that is a fault of mine, it is a fault I want to have.

Jump to: