39 coaches online • Server time: 11:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
pac

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2005 - 17:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Voorn wrote:
You failed to quote the rest of the sentance for some reason ...

I cut down the quotes because I try not to spam these forums <i>too</i> much.

My point stands: for the life of me I can't understand yours. No poster in this thread has supported fouling an <i>entire Skaven team</i> off the pitch, carrying on right up to turn 16. No one has even mentioned the idea except for <i>you</i>, my friend: you seem to be arguing against people who don't exist - or at least who haven't posted here. Wink

OTOH, many posters have supported fouling Gutter Runners specifically and often: that's an entirely different matter as they are often a threat down to the very last turn.

I can only assume that your last Skaven team came to a bad end against a coach who adopted the kind of tactics you dislike. That's unfortunate. Put that coach on your personal DNP list and try to avoid others like him in the future: but please don't identify everyone who makes use of and sometimes enjoys fouling with the individual who killed your team.

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2005 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
No poster in this thread has supported fouling an <i>entire Skaven team</i> off the pitch, carrying on right up to turn 16. No one has even mentioned the idea except for <i>you</i>, my friend: you seem to be arguing against people who don't exist - or at least who haven't posted here. Wink

I support fouling an <i>entire Skaven team</i> off the pitch....

in fact I support fouling an <i>entire any team</i> off the pitch....especially t16 RIP gangfouls on big guys...and boot parties on any other downed player you can find who is susceptible...

but I think I like throwing a monkey wrench in pac's arguments even more Very Happy

--j
Optihut

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2005 - 19:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Voorn wrote:
When I play, I play to win and have a good time as well as make sure my opponant has one as well.

If only that outlook would extend to your posting habits.

Last edited by Optihut on %b %19, %2005 - %19:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
Macavity

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2005 - 19:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Voorn, I'm afraid I'm with the others this time. Talking about BEATING (meaning winning against) Skaven by intentionally hurting players, is not saying all you should do is foul. Someone who doesn't even try to win is despicable, someone who hurts the other team to allow themselves to win is using good strategy. As our esteemed Skaven coach mentioned a page back, GUARD the BALL! If it ends up on the ground, a GR can scoop it easily and score again (as can Wood Elves). If you have an example of a non-elf team beating Skaven without injuring them, I would, in complete honesty LOVE if you could post the replay link. I have trouble beating them, as I mentioned, so any otherr working tactics would be appreciated.

Post 18 Posted: Dec 19, 2005 - 19:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Voorn

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2005 - 19:35 Reply with quote Back to top

When I post, I am totally and bluntly honest just as I am at any other point in my life. Being dishonest simply does not get you anywhere. True, many people do not want to hear the truth and the way I put it forth may be abrasive, but that doesnt change the basic principle. It may also have to do with my disabilty which forces me to be honest. The causes behind my posts support my feelings. This is a game that is meant to be enjoyed by all who play, not just a few.

Macavity, I too agree with the principle that fouling is there for a reason. I also agree with using it to help you win a game. The only point I disagree with is fouling when there is no need for the simple reason of spite and taking it to unreasonable extremes. The examples I gave demonmstrate when it has become unreasonable. (too lazy to retype them and I apologize it my posts came across the wrong way).

Immitated in chat by another member "S**n"
pac

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2005 - 19:40 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
I support fouling an <i>entire Skaven team</i> off the pitch....

in fact I support fouling an <i>entire any team</i> off the pitch....especially t16 RIP gangfouls on big guys...and boot parties on any other downed player you can find who is susceptible...

but I think I like throwing a monkey wrench in pac's arguments even more Very Happy

And who can blame you? Wink

On this basis, I hand the official 'arguing-with-Voorn' baton over to you, shadow. May it bring you great joy. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2005 - 21:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Voorn wrote:
Macavity, I too agree with the principle that fouling is there for a reason. I also agree with using it to help you win a game. The only point I disagree with is fouling when there is no need for the simple reason of spite and taking it to unreasonable extremes. The examples I gave demonmstrate when it has become unreasonable. (too lazy to retype them and I apologize it my posts came across the wrong way).

There are instances where "fouling where there is no need for the simpe reason of spite and taking it to unreasonable extremes" is more than acceptable....

- one-turners
- claw/rsc
- any other abomination(ss/blodge/tackle/MB/guard/+2 on any stat/etc...any combination of 3 or more of these skills)
- gutter runners
- any player on any of dreadclaw's team Smile

players like this should not exist for the welfare fo the community...they're going to exist though, and they're going to continue to thrive....so when the opportunity to put your boot through one of their skulls presents itself...it needs to be taken advantage of, regardless of whether or not you're winning by 4 TD's, or the opponent has his entire team in the injury box...etc etc....

it's their own fault for letting the little buggers develop into that sort of nastiness, and they have to expect that they're going to have as many shots taken at them to eliminate them....

it makes it that much sweeter when they survive....and that much more celebratory when they die Smile

--j
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2005 - 22:07 Reply with quote Back to top

You forgot another reason shadow45x2: to deliberately get a bad reputation as coach and becoming a famous member of many blacklists. Wink

incantrix

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2005 - 22:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Appreciate all the advice for dealing with Skaven! I never normally stall or foul without a good reason (ie a player is downed in a position that threatens a TD etc), that's just not really how I play. I tried out guarding the ball and going on the offensive against Skaven twice, once on here and once in the boardgame with drastically different results. Instead of the usual 3-1 or 2-1 panning I was getting I had a concession in my favour and a win instead. I'm not interested in wrecking anyones team but having said that taking down and maiming ultra fast players like gutter runners seems to be a pretty useful tactic and to be honest I've tried everything else and it didn't work!
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2005 - 22:14 Reply with quote Back to top

By the way, what are the best Anti-Eshin-Adept tactics? The seem to outrun stunty.

shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2005 - 22:22 Reply with quote Back to top

don't mark the poison daggers for starters....if you're going to mark them, be one step out of range, so they have to blitz to use their dagger...keep them down to one dagger shot a turn....if you're really luck on dice rolls, do a quick TTM score, and pray you get high rolls on the weapon check....

force the assassin into dodging(lack of stunty makes harder dodge rolls....relatively), and take him out quick....the high agi/lack of stunty makes him a severe passing threat....slow the game down to your speed, don't play the eshin at their speed, you'll lose...viciously...

they're pretty much the skaven of the stunty league...so the same tactics that apply to skaven apply to eshin as well :-p

--j

ImageImage
incantrix

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2005 - 22:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd say get the Eshin Runners as soon as you can, preferably with a big guy that can keep pounding them every time they get back up again because the daggers are (mostly) useless against high AV. Keep at least two players back one with diving tackle if possible because that Eshin Assassin will almost always end up making a bolt for your line sooner or later. If you are playing offence score as quickly as possible, the ref is more likely to kick out runners and eliminate Eshin's main weapon than you are to take it out unless you vastly outnumber the Eshin player or you don't mind giving them a chance to poke you with a potentially lethal dagger a few times. Obviously if you have illegal weapons too this might not be the best policy.
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2005 - 22:50 Reply with quote Back to top

incantrix wrote:
If you are playing offence score as quickly as possible, the ref is more likely to kick out runners and eliminate Eshin's main weapon than you are to take it out unless you vastly outnumber the Eshin player or you don't mind giving them a chance to poke you with a potentially lethal dagger a few times.

This is a very dangerous tactic...ref check on a dagger is 10+,...additionally...first poison dagger hit on a drive is a +3, instead of a +1(if i'm remembering correctly)....

so, in effect, you're lining up first, you're letting your opponent line up all their daggers on the front line, for 4 easy dagger blocks, might as well go ahead and say goodbye to a few players....not a viable tactic....way too risky, imo

--j
nin

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2005 - 23:01 Reply with quote Back to top

four pages and plenty of discusion on fouling, some advice about how to play bashy against skaven and just a couple of hints on what to do when skaven outbash and outrun your elves, well one post in pag3 treats the matter (one in four pages)

first contribution: Kick, and may be some Block Pass

second: one turners allwais threaten a touch, so every foul is tacticall (exception are tr16 fouls if your opponent doesn't have a 16th turn left, but I'll be glad winning even if I lose a gutter runner so no problem here Wink ) Keep in mind that fouling with expensive elves is tricky at least if you don't have DP.

thirth: st3+ag4+Leap is very good if you can mark the SVs and RO. 1d or 2d blitzes, probably with Block, Tackle, Pro, Strip Ball and even Frenzy
 Jump to: