24 coaches online • Server time: 01:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
bova

Post 22 Posted: Dec 28, 2005 - 21:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Is having a Big Guy on your team worth it? And if so which is best?

(with the lack of full control and scaring off opponents etc) Question
Macavity

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2005 - 21:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, but not 'til later. As to which... there have been a couple of 8+ page threads about it. Quite amusing, but I think the majority of votes went to Troll.

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2005 - 21:18 Reply with quote Back to top

having a troll on the LOS to soak up hits is awsome Smile
celas

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2005 - 21:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I think most people would say either an Ogre or a Troll. Ogre is the most reliable in terms of actions and Trolls are best for taking CAS. Minos are really fun (with access to mutations) but unpredictable and having AV 8 makes them easier to injure and most of the teams you play will be bashy. I like getting a BG after I have all my CWs.

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2005 - 21:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Mino is funny (from my tabletop point of view), but here better wait untill you have all the CW. If you plan to buy now ("Lower prices in Jannuary!!! Buy them now, buy them fresh Wink ") better buy a Troll, sturdier, cheaper, happyer... (if it is for a new team)
MightyQuinn

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2005 - 21:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I went with a Troll who now has Pro & Block... He has Regenerated 2 for 2 on injuries now also...
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2005 - 22:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I think I started with a troll, still have him. He's good on the LOS, beastmen break too easily and CW are too expensive and useful to be broken.

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2005 - 22:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Your playing a chaos team... and your worrying about a sucky big guy scaring off opponents? Do you take feather dusters as secret weapons ?
GreatCthulhu

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2005 - 22:46 Reply with quote Back to top

It all depends on your starting lineup.

I have always started with a minotaur and found myself rather happy with it. It's a little less sturdy than an ogre or troll but the fact that wild animal doe NOT lose his tackle zones even when fail is unvaluable.

Also chaos (especially at the beginning) tends to favour a mildly fast running game since is not much suited for the pass but also is not good when stuck in block quagmires.

I find that a fast moving big guy is a good asset for my playstyle.. also mino has frenzy that can be used for crowdpushes.

Anyway.. question back to you: what's your playstyle?

Do you run? Do you try to blitz a hole in the enemy flank and then you try to scamper through that and then score (Minotaur)? Do you cage and then plodder slowly towards the enemy's endzone (Ogre)? Or do you simply try to batter the opponent's team into the turf until he can do nothing to stop you and THEN score (Troll)?

Cool
KhorneliusPraxx

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2005 - 22:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Which kind...ROLL RANDOMLY and let the lords of chaos decide for you.
Khorne has picked all of my big guys.

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2005 - 23:10 Reply with quote Back to top

trolls are great, my troll on my goblin team died 3 times in one game all from unassisted non DP fouls.. and he's still around to talk about it
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2005 - 23:38 Reply with quote Back to top

GreatCthulhu wrote:
It all depends on your starting lineup.

I have always started with a minotaur and found myself rather happy with it. It's a little less sturdy than an ogre or troll but the fact that wild animal doe NOT lose his tackle zones even when fail is unvaluable.

Also chaos (especially at the beginning) tends to favour a mildly fast running game since is not much suited for the pass but also is not good when stuck in block quagmires.

I find that a fast moving big guy is a good asset for my playstyle.. also mino has frenzy that can be used for crowdpushes.

Anyway.. question back to you: what's your playstyle?

Do you run? Do you try to blitz a hole in the enemy flank and then you try to scamper through that and then score (Minotaur)? Do you cage and then plodder slowly towards the enemy's endzone (Ogre)? Or do you simply try to batter the opponent's team into the turf until he can do nothing to stop you and THEN score (Troll)?

Cool

When you coach a Chaos team, you'll run into bashy teams a lot (unless you are one of those types that take claw/rsc and tackle to play elves and skaven exclusively). Taking an AV8 big guy isn't such a great idea then. Besides, in a team in which most of your players already have horns (and can blitz reliably due to team rerolls), blitzing with your mino doesn't look too hot anymore. Besides, you're only a double away from frenzy on any of your players, if you really really want it. Frenzy is overrated anyway.
BiggieB

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2005 - 00:46 Reply with quote Back to top

frenzy rocks booo for torsoboy!
deathgerbil

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2005 - 01:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Ya, thats the problem with minotaurs, - low av and wild animal. You're generally getting the big guy to just soak up hits and keep as many guys occupied for as long as possible, and for that purpose, av8 just can't compare with av9. Also, Wild Animal is arguably the worst (other = take root, but thats another discussion entirely) negative trait in the game. Also, minotaurs CAN mutate, but they NEED to use their doubles on general skills much much more than they need claw or razor claws, like pro or block. Without block you can't really count on them not killing themselves, and without pro, good luck ever moving the dumb animal.

Yes, the big guy doesn't lose their tackle zones if they go "wild", but with a 1/2 chance of losing your action for every non-blitz movement, don't expect your minotaur to get in the thick of things much unless you're willing to waste a blitz action every turn on a big guy without block or rerolls. It really sucks when your minotaur doesn't get up for half the game off the ground, and you watch teh action pass right on by him, and theres not a damn thing you can do about it. Believe me, after creating pikachu and pikachu the immortal, I tried to use minotaurs for a while, but they just can't hack it by comparison to the other big guys chaos get. Any decent basher coach knows how to use wild animal to their advantage, and transform the big "wild" minotaur into a road block half the field away from the action with minimal risk. Yes, they have frenzy, but how often do you think your minotaur will actually be in any position at all to give a crowd push with his "wild animal" keeping him from moving much past his starting position?

Ogres and trolls are very similar, - bone head and really stupid for most teams are exactly the same thing 9/10 times, - give it about 2 or 3 good games and you'll learn how to make really stupid into bone head. The key difference here is ogres are good for the short run, and trolls are much better for the long run. One more movement and thick skull is pretty powerful for the immediate game, but regen will save you speed bump, and keep him taking much more hits than an ogre can over 5-10+ games.
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2005 - 03:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Get yerself a +ST +ST Troll, you'll never regret it.