48 coaches online • Server time: 13:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Getting diced 3 game...goto Post 7s for fummbl?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
pac

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2005 - 01:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, I think the 'How to be a Right Bastard' thread is great, and it's fantastic that it's still going on at 33 pages after all this time, but even so I felt the need for something to off-set it.

Am I being too naive?

I'm looking here for somewhat unexpected ways in which to play fair in a game, things which - when your opponent did them - you thought: this is a decent guy, I never would've expected so much.

A couple to start with:

• there's a bug in the client where, when you reload, it's impossible to take a Blitz action when you should be able to. I've had at least one opponent who was quite happy to turnover (losing a turn of the game when this might well not have been ideal) so that I could take the Blitz action which, in that tactical position, was my only real chance

• if I plan to foul a lot in a match, I do my best to set my stall out early, and foul as soon as possible: Turn 1 when I can. I find that there's a lot less animosity about early, up-front fouling - which then continues in the same vein throughout - than there is against fouling which starts later in the game, which can seem to be 'frustration fouling'

Does anyone else have any examples of unusual and respect-worthy sportsmanship? Or am I shooting in the dark here? Wink

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2005 - 01:39 Reply with quote Back to top

refuse to throw turn 16 blocks.
Ungamarax

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2005 - 01:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Turn 16, opponent is truing for a td that will not change the outcome, but has a 2d block against involved: if he gets a skull/ pusback, do not try to kill his player Wink
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2005 - 01:49 Reply with quote Back to top

If you block a blockless guy and get a POW - POW/SKULL result on a 2d block on the sideline, choose POW/SKULL in order to get a chance for spps and not crowdpush him, instead of going for the crowdpush.

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2005 - 01:50 Reply with quote Back to top

ok, i'm a very fair player, i did a 2db, and rolled a push back, and the line went dead... when i reconnected, i rolled the same block, and had a pushback and POW... i chose the pushback...

and when i see my team being beaten up, i find it hysterically funny and end up having loads of fun... most opponents are shocked by that attitude and approach, as they would find the match tedious and boring in my shoes...

but my answer to fouling, is chain pushing revolving around crowd pushing. it means that for every player of mine u foul, i will crowd push 2 of yours, which will result in 1 of mine being crowd pushed too (inevitable i find). but i also warn for fouls 'sorry this is tactical' b4 fouling. after the warning the opponent doesn't mind, and of course i never say anything when my opponent returns the favour, fouling a WE with 6 assists and a DP...

but most important, i think is the typed information to your opponent, when they foul you 'smile', regardless of how u are feeling. After their first TD you congratulate them for their 'tactics', and so on... play Shepard, his communication is amazing, he blocks your player and types 'BONK', making the game so hilarious u lose your concentration due to crying from laughter... (unfortunately i was extremely lucky with armour rolls that match, so i think i entered his black list)...

a lot of this, for me, grew from the fact that i tend to lose anyway, but love playing BB.

EDIT: Spelling

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]

Last edited by LordSnotball on %b %31, %2005 - %01:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
Athoria

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2005 - 01:51 Reply with quote Back to top

How about scoring when your 1 square from the goal line like your supposed to instead of just sitting there, 1 square away, so your team can get in a few more blocks. I don't mind moving the ball carrier last in a turn to score, that's fine. But when you sit there, just outside, delaying the game so that your players can get just 1 more cas from a already defeated team... that is unsportsmanlike, and rude.

Just score already... DAMN!

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2005 - 01:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice avatar, Athoria: you should post more and get that seen! Very Happy

Another one that's quite nice:

• Pointing out to your opponent (in Turn 16) that he still has a long-shot chance to score (with a dodge, pick-up in TZ, Long Bomb, catch in TZ, blitz + gfi to score move; or something like that).

Of course, this one can go sour when it actually works for him ... Sad

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2005 - 02:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice thread!

For me a Good Guy is someone who accept the game, have the ability to laugh at misfortune, DON´T WHINE and ofcourse says thank you after the game.

How you play doesn´t really matter since it´s a game. As long as you know how to behave!
LordSnotball

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2005 - 02:05 Reply with quote Back to top

heh, that's when u play elf style, dodge into an impossible situation, and block the player 1 square away, and force a pushback-score. unfortunately the client treats this differently than the board game, but its far better than having ur team pounded...

another useful couter-strategy is to ignore the ball carrier, and turn your focus on the remaining 'bashing players', and ask if they will continue stalling, and after their answer foul whoever you can. Make it a point that you will continue fouling until your opponent scores. This pays off for you, as ur players get sent off and don't risk dieing, and forces your opponent to rethink their delaying strategy. If your opponent delays too long, he might not have enough supporting players, and u can slam the ball carrier towards the end of the half.

turn 16 blocks are fun, i rolled double skulls and had a blitzer die once (apothecary failed of course). turn 16 fouls though are another matter. only in tournaments where casualties count, and when u have had extremely good luck (and your opponent may be disgruntled) are the only 2 average situations where i see this as acceptable. Otherwise, well, i'll play you again one day...

EDIT: Personally i don't like telling newer players 'do this and you might score', but rather 'if u try, u can score in 2 turns/this turn'. Its far more educational if they figure it out on their own... if they can't see how, then i give pointers, never the solution...

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
Gus

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2005 - 02:09 Reply with quote Back to top

If a player chooses to stall and you chooses to foul....well, enjoy. It´s part of BloodBowl!!!
Plorg

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2005 - 03:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Turn 16, you have the ball, and you are winning the game...
Find an opponent player within 2 spp of a skill and throw a pass(int) directly to them.
Tribune

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2005 - 03:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Conversely, player can't win and has possession in turn 16 - suggest he set up a simple pass attempt for the SPP.
ChrisB

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2005 - 05:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry I don't understand the question. Bloody elven ticks..........
Voorn

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2005 - 06:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Talk (type) decently to your opponant or if you are unable to, just dont type at all. Playing someone who spams insults or jibes throughout the game is just annoying.
Fouling, when it does not affect the game in the slightest bit, dont foul. After all, if you are up by 3 td and it is turn 16 with you having stalled and just sitting on the goal line to score, there is no reason to foul a guy on the opposite end of the field.
Generally treat your opponant with the same respect and dignity you want for yourself.

Immitated in chat by another member "S**n"
celas

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2005 - 07:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Unless I am in a tourney (or facing multiple turns of stalling; which is rare), I don't foul. Not even when I have a DP and Get the Ref. Unless the opponent fouls first....or is abusive......or is an Orc.