33 coaches online • Server time: 00:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
pluto670

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2005 - 17:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with you all it is much better to be nice and a meany if there is one thing i cant stand it is people just sitting there just so they can kill me some more.

Its not in the spirit of the game. But You definatly need to be a sporting player in stunty or at least able to accept seeing half you team get sent of of killed.but i see fouling as part of the game, you run a risk of getting sent of when doing it so go for it

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2005 - 17:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
Cas Diff: -176 (32/28/6 - 127/79/36) after 44 games! I must have the nicest team ever, by Habeli's judgement!

Well just flings teams is nice, but did you take a look at my team?
Khermi team which has made 17 cas in 41 games,
but it isn't just the amount of cas.
Being nice includes more...

"We might not be fluffy or nice-looking but our hearts
would be made of pure gold, if we actually had one."
-Pasifists
MiBasse

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2005 - 17:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
Cas Diff: -176 (32/28/6 - 127/79/36) after 44 games! I must have the nicest team ever, by Habeli's judgement!

That's not quite what he meant Mac Wink I think what he meant was that people shouldn't just think "Yeah, right. Nice team my a**!" as soon as they saw it was a Khemi team. And I think those little bag o' bones might just be the nicest team I've ever seen.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2005 - 17:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I think that my interpretation has me looking nicer, so I'll stick with it, thank you very much! Wink

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2005 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm with Diarmuid ingame. But some admin said something, since you HAVE to play to win. If you make an intentional touchback on turn 16 so the oppo can get cp spp, is that not allowed? And what about consolation TD's? Some guy was winning over me something like 3 - 0, and kicked, and just let me run the TD in, not even stopping. He said he was preserving his woodie team, but it was a nice thing anyway =)

Oh, and personally, I enjoyed it, when hurting some oppo's player, he started smack talking "Is that the best you've got!?".

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2005 - 18:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Once after a reload a ball scatter went heavily in my favour. I was winning so I thought what the hell and threw the ball to where it landed after a reload.

Tymless

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2005 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I have been a bastard in quite a few of my games but when I am winning in a game with the knowledge theres no way to lose like 4-0 or something, I try to let my opponent get a score or two to get his ff up or do anything to make the game seem like some fun. I know I have been in situations were my luck was so bad that I couldnt make a pass with my ag 6 thrower even with rerolls. so I try to make people have a little fun even if their game is bad. I just think trying to get people to enjoy a game even if its totally not going their way. Even if it means I have to throw the ball to one of their players to get his/her team at least one score.

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2005 - 20:11 Reply with quote Back to top

DonTomaso wrote:
It amazes me how slow this thread is compared to the Bastard-thread. That one just went through the roof in a few minutes.

Is it really that difficult to be a nice guy? Specially some guys here who suggests pretty nasty tactics as their 'good-guy'-advice.

Sheeesh!

Don: Keep in mind that many nice guys probably do not self-promote...it's part of the nice guy image. Take a look around at the biggest mouths in the chat..they are often the ones b_tching about how no elves will play their bashers.
Doogs

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2005 - 20:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I think one of the best things to do is to not complain. Nuffle has struck us all down with cursed games. Accept it that it won't be the last time. When this happens in a game, and nothing could go wrong for your opponent, don't berate them and tell them that without the luck they would be losing. When it comes down to it, this is a game based on dice rolls, which is (gasp!) random.

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2005 - 20:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I disagree, Celas. I've never heard myself, Jan, MrMojo, BrownRob, or Skate-Bacon complain about that. Who exactly do you see as the biggest mouths in chat?

Edit:: come to think of it, these are forums... not Chat... NM..... I'm dumb.

I think a big reason my thread accelerated was tha rating system. It meant I added posts regularily, and people felt they got something back from posting.

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2005 - 20:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Indeed. More than that, I think that the "right bastard" concept was very appealing... I think I am a very good guy in-game, and I prefer to be considered so than a "bastard", but this thread is just not as funny as the other one.

Very Happy

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2005 - 20:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Ahhh, there is the crux of the matter. ENTERTAINMENT. It is more fun to try to think up ways to be a jerk (without having to actually do it) then think up ways to be nice. It is also more entertaing to read through that. That doesnt mean that this topic is bad, more people should try to play so that thier opponant can enjoy themselves as well as yourself. There are any number of ways to be a good guy. One of the best is to just not try to act a prat and treat others as you would like to be treated.

Immitated in chat by another member "S**n"
pluto670

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2005 - 21:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the reason the how to be a meany forum went throught the roof is that it is much easyer to be mean i mean look at the game a significant part is to injure oposing players and its not like you can try to heal them to be nice or anything. i think its possible to be sporting and try to make it a good game but its not possible to go out of your way to be nice in the way that its possible to go out of your way to be harsh

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2005 - 22:03 Reply with quote Back to top

It wasn't about being mean..... If people would re-read the first three pages or so, you'd know that, and we could stop hi-jacking this thread....... Sad

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2006 - 01:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
I think a big reason my thread accelerated was tha rating system. It meant I added posts regularily, and people felt they got something back from posting.

Hmm. I suppose I could rate things here ... nah: can't be bothered. Wink

I wouldn't have expected this thread to take off like the '... Right Bastard' one did; I just thought it would be nice for forum-browsers to see that we don't spend <i>all</i> our time thinking up way to be nasty. Very Happy Clearly being devious and sneaky is always more appealing: this is Bloodbowl after all. Wink

But the strangest things can result from overly gentlemanly play, I had an exchange that went something like this not long ago. My Norse (who I was planning to drop from Ranked soon) were playing above themselves against some Lizards, had taken virtually every Skink out of the game, and were on course to win:

[paraphrased]
<opponent> My Skinks are all crippled: I may just concede and retire the team.
<pac> No, no need to do that: my team's going to drop from Ranked soon anyway, so they don't need the money. It'll be more fun if we both play on.
<opponent> Okay: we'll just not block and let you rack up SPPs if you want.
<pac> NO! No, we can't stand it when the opposition doesn't hit back, not sporting at all. My players feel terrible about it.
<opponent> Sure then, let's just play on.

So the game went on in a light-hearted fashion, both sides making every effort, and my Norse did win (was by no means a sure thing, though).

However, I never noticed until the next day - after a friend of mine who'd looked at the match report pointed it out to me - that my opponent had actually conceded in his turn 16 after all! That explained where all that money had come from though!

An unexpectedly generous opponent: happy for me to rack up SPPs <i>and</i> then get his winnings and MVP as well! Of course, it all went to waste since his team retired as expected, and mine dropped to Unranked soon enough in any case. A strange one - when I hadn't expected or encouraged the concession at all!

Jump to: