35 coaches online • Server time: 11:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Straith

Post 5 Posted: Jan 12, 2006 - 18:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been trying to search this up on the board so as to prevent this post from adding to a pile of redundancy, however I can't find anything so here goes.

What are some generally good formations to use in various situations? I've been thinking about how I should place big guys, fast guys, guys with certain skills, etc.

This only really pertains to the initial kickoff, since past that it becomes very fluid, but I wanted to know more about initial formations that are effective and when to use them.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2006 - 19:02 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fredweb.chez-alice.fr/def.php

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2006 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

It depends a lot if you are kicking or receiving. If you are kicking, never put anyone worthwhile on the LOS. Set up blitzers in a place where they can actually blitz... yadda, yadda. Are you wondering about a particular team?

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2006 - 19:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, but I don't speak French. Is there an english version of this?
pac

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2006 - 19:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Tres bien. Peut-etre quelque chose en anglais?

I don't know any good links. I just throw my players on at random anyway ...

That being said, the Help section offers this: http://fumbbl.com/help:Defensive+Setups

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2006 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't speak French myself *much*, but the pics are pretty much self-explanatory, aren't they?

/me crawls back to his cave cursing all those superior minds who don't find his help useful enough...
Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2006 - 19:25 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
/me crawls back to his cave cursing all those superior minds who don't find his help useful enough...

I thought it looked a good page actually: I'll certainly head back there with my moderate schoolboy French to try and pick up some good tips at some point.

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2006 - 19:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Schoolboy French...... The bits of other languages I picked up in school wouldn't help much. I can tell you to go and perform un-natural acts with she who birthed you in Vietnamese, but can't say hello.....

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2006 - 19:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
Schoolboy French...... The bits of other languages I picked up in school wouldn't help much. I can tell you to go and perform un-natural acts with she who birthed you in Vietnamese, but can't say hello.....

They don't make you all learn French in Canada then? Is it just Quebec where both languages are obligatory?

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2006 - 19:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I can understand the pictures of course, but the text would be useful to understand the reasoning.
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2006 - 19:32
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Spectate. The best way to learn.

Some simple basic principles though:

3 only on the line if kicking.

Even recieving safest to keep a couple back as well as the designated ball handler, for protection and in case of missfields.

If not on the LOS stand 2 paces back. Quick snap is a common Kick off result and if you stand one pace back it goves a lot of free blocks to the opponent.

No one on the very edge, or they WILL go crowd surfing. If facing frenzy no one 2 steps away unless someone diagonally in front of them (3 steps in from the edge) preventing the frenzy crowd push.

If facing AG teams try and keep a tackler or two back (5-6 spaces from LOS) when kicking, to tackle the breakthough guys.

When kicking Stand Firm is a great skill at the edges, and speedy guys are great near the edge in case of missfields/blitzes. Also means they can reinforce other flank if needed.

When recieving, even if ahead in numbers or in STR, try to pick an area for pushing forward; A flank or the centre. If you try and fight everywhere by lining everyone up evenly on the LOS, expect fast/agile teams to send guys around the back. But remeber you will have pick the ball up and reach the safe area you create.
Smess

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2006 - 19:41 Reply with quote Back to top

- - - - - - X X X - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - X - - X - - - X - - X - -
- X - - X - - - - - X - - X -

This is my prefered setup, it works well with any team.
If you have them, sidesteppers or SF guys as most left and most right guys. With bashing teams your ST4 players should be placed there. Your main blitzers should be the 2 covered guys in the middle. Your opponent cannot reach them, so they are free to blitz the next turn.
Webbe

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2006 - 19:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Yup, the defense Smess posted is what I usually use against most non heavy basher teams. Note that variations is required depending on skills, teams, progress in game and so forth. I often put the middle 4 guys forward 1 square to be able to retaliate (and prevent) followups on blocks on your 3 LOS guys.

My best advice though, would be spectating how good players set up their defense with your desired race
Macavity

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2006 - 19:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Pac, I speak French fluently (though writing is a little weaker). I think everyone still learns it up to grade 6, at least.

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2006 - 19:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Smess wrote:
- - - - - - X X X - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - X - - X - - - X - - X - -
- X - - X - - - - - X - - X -

This is my prefered setup, it works well with any team.
If you have them, sidesteppers or SF guys as most left and most right guys. With bashing teams your ST4 players should be placed there. Your main blitzers should be the 2 covered guys in the middle. Your opponent cannot reach them, so they are free to blitz the next turn.

That is (becomming) my standard defensive setup as well. On offense, it depends a lot on how the defense sets up (= it's too random for me to be proud of it...)
 Jump to: