47 coaches online • Server time: 19:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IV
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What is your preferred structure for the Fledgling Frenzy?
16 Teams, TR100 only
20%
 20%  [ 9 ]
16 Teams, TR100-TR110
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
16 Teams, TR100-TR120
22%
 22%  [ 10 ]
8 Teams, TR100 only
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
8 Teams TR100-110
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
8 Teams TR100-120
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
I'm in the SWL, but I really don't mind.
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
I'm not in the SWL, but I wanted to vote anyway.
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
I like toast!
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
I like pie more than toast!
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 44

Laviak

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2006 - 12:02 Reply with quote Back to top

OK, this poll is for SWL coaches who are interested in a TR100 (or so) tournament for starting new Fringe teams. Just want to get an idea of what the preferred options are.

The basis of the rules is:
- 8 / 16 team tournament
- New (or newish) Fringe teams
- Coaches that drop out / concede a match will be humiliated - especially those who concede a match.

Really, it's just something to get those brand new teams up and running, and you get to play in a tournament at the same time Very Happy

Feel free to make other suggestions by posting below!

Edit (18-01-2006, AM):
OK, I will definitely look at swiss and round robin as other options. Round robin of course would need a smaller number of competitors. Probably atm swiss would be preferred as it allows all the teams to get a few games in, but keeps the tournament fairly quick.

Last edited by Laviak on %b %17, %2006 - %23:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2006 - 12:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I like it... a new team cup.... sounds good.

I'd play basically anything.... even a Swiss.

C
Patrician

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2006 - 12:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I think a KO isn't the best format, namely as those who go out early get about as much benefit as playing one normal Fringe game. Therefore, I voted for Toast. Pie is good, but you can't have Vegemite pie.

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2006 - 12:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess we could even vary it round a bit from one tourney to the next.

bartgoon

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2006 - 13:22 Reply with quote Back to top

That is one extremely even spread for a poll Smile

My suggestion would be 4-8 team round robins with TR 100-120, and if you fill one, start another.
danielcollins

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2006 - 14:37 Reply with quote Back to top

i agree with bartgoon. That'd be the structure most likely to be easily filled, once it's up and running you can always change to suit the situation. Maybe you could even give preference to the new guys turning up, then it would truly be "fledgling" Smile
Longshanks

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2006 - 21:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Good idea - there do seem to be a lot of high TR teams in fringe so it can sometimes be difficult for lower ranked teams to get games. I voted for 8 teams (quicker tournament) and I agree with Patrician that KO is not the way to go if the purpose is to help to improve the teams TR.
If you can run multiple 'quick-fire' tournaments, even better - maybe that would suit 4 team round-robin comp's better?
While I like swiss as a concept, it's probably unecessary if the teams are in the small TR band suggested (which I'm cool with - I voted 100-120).

The problem with round-robin I suppose (especially if it's 8 teams) is that it won't be quick which presumably is what we're aiming at, meaning the newer coaches (in particular) will have teams tied up in a comp and unable to play pick-up matches. [Answer=make more teams people!]

So a question - would there be a problem, assuming the fumbbl tournament structure could support it - if the tourney was round-robin but without scheduled rounds? Where you played every team once as quick as can - who you play just depends on whos online at the time. Set a deadline for the tournament as a whole (2 weeks????) not the match ups. In otherwords could one coach play three or four matches before others had played any or 1 or two.
I'm not sure that made sense. You decide Smile
Longshanks

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2006 - 21:53 Reply with quote Back to top

An afterthought.

Quote:
Maybe you could even give preference to the new guys turning up, then it would truly be "fledgling"

Noooooo! How else am I going to win any games if I can't pick on newbies Very Happy
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2006 - 23:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Longshanks wrote:

So a question - would there be a problem, assuming the fumbbl tournament structure could support it - if the tourney was round-robin but without scheduled rounds? Where you played every team once as quick as can - who you play just depends on whos online at the time. Set a deadline for the tournament as a whole (2 weeks????) not the match ups. In otherwords could one coach play three or four matches before others had played any or 1 or two.
I'm not sure that made sense. You decide Smile

You can do this with a small open round robin. 8 teams, 7 games, play them in any order you like, but play them within a set time (2 weeks is nice, but heavy going for 7 games).

The beauty of Open Round Robins is that any number of teams are possible (ie 5 teams = 4 games).

The downside is that there will be cherry picking... everyone will want to play the dwarf coach last when the others have an x game lead in terms of team development... this happened with a couple of table top leagues in my experience.
annachie

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2006 - 23:22 Reply with quote Back to top

4 team round robins, with a designated game day/night. Indeed, there's a chance to get the whole tourney played in a night. (Not that you could enforce a game day/night of course, but the idea's still good.)
hoiyes

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2006 - 00:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Yay. I hope my dark elv- err i mean 'humans' can join. It has been hard to find low ranked teams to play against. D:
Wallace

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2006 - 00:56 Reply with quote Back to top

How about an 8 or 16 team swiss tourney? This would keep it competative and allow a greater spread of TR ro compete, since the swiss system should keep giving reasonable matchups.

It's academic for me though, since I don't have any low TR teams in the fringe and like to keep it to retired SWL teams rather than making new ones.
annachie

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2006 - 02:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea of 4 to 6 teams, just to keep them quick.
ozjesting

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2006 - 02:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Of course at the end of all this we have even MORE teams in fringe with high TR and new guys are stuck again Wink

I have not voted and shall not participate. Too many for me atm as it is...but I look forward to challangers rising for the Blue and Red Crowes sometime soon Wink

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2006 - 03:33 Reply with quote Back to top

ozjesting wrote:
I have not voted...

well, if you're not making a serious vote ... at least choose between toast and pie Wink

Jump to: