19 coaches online • Server time: 07:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Jump up on a tree?goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What to buy for my team?
Catcher
21%
 21%  [ 17 ]
Thrower
18%
 18%  [ 15 ]
Re-Roll
60%
 60%  [ 48 ]
Total Votes : 80

Uber

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2006 - 18:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I think every team that can should have a catcher right from the beginning. Why? For team development. Elves need to throw those little completions to round up those MVPs. It's a good strategy early on to get every guy a completion so that anyone who gets the MVP will skill up. To that effect, a catcher is the ideal candidate to throw the ball to, since he can catch it much more reliably.

Wood Elf catchers are also incredibly fast, so they're great to use to transfer the ball. With MA9, they can hang behind and then move upfield for a quick pass/handoff to someone who can score. They will also help you score quickly, since they just need to move 2 square into the opponent's half to be in scoring range. A 1-turn TD can be done through pushing if you're a bit lucky. Speed is the most underated attribute in this game. The catchers can make a huge difference at the end of a game when you have no more re-rolls left and need to score.

With that said, I think a re-roll would be the next buy, but definitely a catcher after.

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2006 - 18:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Catcher is generally more useful than thrower, and as someone already mentioned, when you can cover half of the field in one move, it is unlikely that you will need to throw long. If you do then clearly you use different tactics to me and maybe a thrower would be useful.
Idolen

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2006 - 19:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Well evry woodie coach has their own tactic I guess... I usually get a thrower early and use him to throw long bombs/long passes downfield with safe throw, get him accurate and strong arm or NoS on a double and it doesn't matter if he tries to pass block you either...
BTW: I haven't looked at your team.. just giving some coaching input. Good luck with your team mate, always fun to see someone who suceeds in tourney's with av7 elves.

EDIT: I voted rr, and after looking at the team you really should get one. with so many players already an rr is absolutley your best choice.
No one can burn rr's as a woodie team...

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2006 - 14:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm definitely buying the reroll first, but I'm not sure whether to go catcher or thrower after that... I see some good arguments for both here.

Let's say I get hammered, would one be much better than the other if I had fewer players (I suspect catchers would be even better when undermanned)?

My AG5 can do most of the passing for now?
Curro

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2006 - 14:31 Reply with quote Back to top

yup. AG5 do pass very well
Zug

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2006 - 08:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Reroll - two isn't enough, even for Wood Elves!

Catcher next - you picked up a passer. AG5 is good at passing and catching, but still can't run faster... Razz
 Jump to: