37 coaches online • Server time: 09:22
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Secret League Old Wo...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What skill for this fellow?
Accurate
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Block
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Dodge
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Guard
75%
 75%  [ 45 ]
Other ...
15%
 15%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 60

maxlongstreet

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 21:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Have you considered Guard? And if you don't like that, I recommend you take Guard. On the other hand, you can always choose Guard. There's another possibility: Guard.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 21:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Guard increases the survivability of everyone around him. What's the question???

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 21:50 Reply with quote Back to top

MickeX has it... I mean elven team playing bashers and there is no dauntless on the team?

That`s nearly a must - though it would be better on a block-guy.
pac

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 21:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
Guard increases the survivability of everyone around him. What's the question???

We don't stand players next to one another very much. When there's six of you left, it's best to spread out. Laughing

This is a pretty unconventional team (even for Wood Elves): I'd take Guard on a Block Line-elf (or a first skill Line-elf) - but I'm not convinced of its value on this guy.

Compare it to Accurate: being able to throw a Short Pass on a 2+ lets me extend my elf-stalling even more because I can keep the ball deep for longer with just one player. If my offensive drives last longer, that also improves the survival rate for the whole team.

CircularLogic wrote:
MickeX has it... I mean elven team playing bashers and there is no dauntless on the team?

This is only the second double I've rolled on a Line-elf on this team, IIRC. Dauntless is on my list but: unless an ST 4+ player has actually got the ball (which happens occasionally - that's why I'd want it eventually: although even then, Strip Ball would do for that job) why would I bother to block the high ST guys? I want to <i>beat</i> the bashers, not attempt to out-block them. Smile

Last edited by pac on %b %24, %2006 - %21:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
Glomp

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 21:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I understand why you wouldn't want guard.

Wood elves really aren't able to cope with a blocking game and teams survive by using the halfling 'try to end turn with as few players standing next to opponents players as possible' tactic.

You have a higher chance of hurting an AV7 Blodge player than an AV8 player.

Not taking guard will probably hurt you in the long run though as you'll need them to help pop cages open at higher team rating.

If you take leader then just hope you roll some more doubles on linemen.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 21:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Pac, you go ahead and take accurate. But reserve a game for me against these guys, sometime! Wink

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 21:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Also why wouldn't you pick up a thrower? A mere 20k more than a lineman and it comes with pass + access to passing skills.
pac

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 22:08 Reply with quote Back to top

inquisitorpustus wrote:
Also why wouldn't you pick up a thrower? A mere 20k more than a lineman and it comes with pass + access to passing skills.

Player turnover: like many things on this team, it's on my list, but it's a long way off. Two healthy Wardancers; a 4th RR; clearing out the nigglers; a Catcher - all are ahead of a Thrower for the moment. Running the ball works fine: and we're rarely in a hurry to score. Smile

Quote:
Not taking guard will probably hurt you in the long run though as you'll need them to help pop cages open at higher team rating.

Again, the rate of player turnover means that high TR is a long way off too: if I sack my niggled Wardancer we'll be back down to about 140.

Macavity wrote:
Pac, you go ahead and take accurate. But reserve a game for me against these guys, sometime!

That's a deal. ... I'd happily play your Necros while they still have only one unskilled 'wolf! Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Sweet! It's a date (assuming we get online together).

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 22:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I think taking guard on this elf makes good sense, he'll be sitting in the centre of the field on defense which imo is a pretty sensible place for a guy with guard. On offense a guard is invaluable for getting those LOS blocks with minimum of fuss.
If guard seems so abhorrent I think nerves of steel would be preferable to accurate on this guy making him a flexible part of the pass, catch, handoff score business.
pac

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 22:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Hoodeddwarf wrote:
On offense a guard is invaluable for getting those LOS blocks with minimum of fuss. If guard seems so abhorrent I think nerves of steel would be preferable to accurate on this guy making him a flexible part of the pass, catch, handoff score business.

LoS blocks ... we're unfamiliar with this concept. Is this what our giant plank of wood does while the rest of us are running away?

And in general we leave the pass-catch-hand-off business to elves with no sense of style. Wink

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2006 - 01:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, yeah: I took Leader in the end - been a long time since I had a Leader. Not since those long lost, innocent days of 3rd ed, when I took Leader just for fluff ....

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2006 - 02:24 Reply with quote Back to top

................. Shocked

What a waste of a double.
pac

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2006 - 02:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Britnoth wrote:
................. Shocked

What a waste of a double.

Right ...

Did anyone give me a better opinion? No ... An unusual team makes for unusual choices.

[Edit: And I was drunk at the time. Very Happy]

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2006 - 05:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I know it's too late, but...

What about something like Hail Mary Pass? On defense, he could scoop up the ball and punt it, if you will, though as this is wood elves we're talking about, I would expect the great majority of the play sees at least one woodie in position to score at all times. On offense, you have a way to unload the ball if/when you have one of those games where you lose players anyway and need some good way to heave the ball downfield early.

I'm typing this without having looked at the team, though I'd suspect you don't have any Diving Catch. Nobody really uses that skill on anything but Stunties, which lessens the effectiveness of HMP quite a bit. On the other hand, a WE team with 4 Catchers and 2 WDs could certainly be expected to close in on the ball, even if the opponent DOES manage to retrieve it from a 'punt' play.
 Jump to: