41 coaches online • Server time: 14:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IV
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Oblitzamanger

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2006 - 02:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Now, take me seriously. I want to build a well rounded orc team. I know orcs are for primarily bashing, but I believe that in order to be succesful, you can't stick to the gameplan all the time. Situations come up where the more flexible team can take advantage of it and turn the game in their favor.

None of the orcs can learn algility skills. Although the Blocker and Blitzer can learn strength skills, I don't want strength to be my entire focus. Thus, I want to buy a Goblin (for it's ability to learn algility skills). My reasoning is this: if my cage is messed up, I can always throw it to the Goblin in the endzone.

Here's my dilema. I have enough money left over to buy another lineman or a goblin before I submit my team for approval. With either option, there would be only 11 players. An apothecary is high on my list for the first thing to buy with prizemoney. So if I go with the lineman, it would be a few games before I get a goblin. Should I buy the goblin now, or wait?
jonjin

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2006 - 02:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Have you got a gobbo-thrower?
Oblitzamanger

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2006 - 02:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I have an orc thrower, but not a troll. I picked the thrower over the troll because they are unreliable with their Really Stupid trait and throwing a team-mate doesn't work if the ball was just popped from your cage, too far away or in front of the troll.

That means you.
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2006 - 02:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Wait. A gobbo is usually an addition for an advanced team - usually after the troll. If you focus on playing with him, then he will gain SPP quickly.
Zug

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2006 - 03:14 Reply with quote Back to top

For a "well-rounded" Orc team skip the gobbo for now and go with a Thrower, plenty of rerolls and more Blitzers than Black Orc Blockers. Orcs can have a decent (for non-elves) passing attack - throwers make good runners with sure hands and when your cage starts to stall or break up you can break off a Blitzer and chunk it to him. Having a reroll for the catch is the key.

If you really want to try gobbos out, I wouldn't get just one - he will be an easy target. Get several (2-4) and get yourself up to 12 players or buy some extra rerolls.

If you give us your starting lineup we can give you better advice.
Voorn

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2006 - 03:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, definately get throwers. If you leave the ball in thier hands and let then run it down to score, you can get some decent rolls on them. (tickled to death with my agi 4 one).

Immitated in chat by another member "S**n"
pac

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2006 - 04:01 Reply with quote Back to top

For 'well-rounded' Orcs, feed them plenty of Halflings, and don't let them exercise.

More seriously: for a team with good long-term balance, you can start with all four Black Orcs, maybe a Troll, and plenty of re-rolls, and bring in the Blitzers later. You'll lose games at first, but the Blitzers gain SPPs quickly, while Black Orcs take more work.

Goblins are a nice option: but unless they roll doubles or stat ups they can't get any skills that add <i>that</i> much to the team.

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2006 - 04:01 Reply with quote Back to top

"Well Rounded Orc Team that dosent focus entirely on Strength and wants access to AG Skills, and ability to be more versatile." :Use Humans

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2006 - 05:01 Reply with quote Back to top

For a well-rounded Orc team, I recommend block and guard, block and guard, block and guard. Then get some block. And guard.

In all seriousness, I notice that basher teams that try to be well-rounded and taking a lot of elfball skills just get the crap kicked out of them by better basher teams. I should know--My chaos team got AG increases on a whole bunch of players right out of the gate, which was cool in a way, but I noticed I was getting pushed around by teams that didn't get stat increases and merely had all block and guard.
Paddock

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2006 - 06:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, this is rather a fun thread. Even if orcs probably would struggle with a passing game out of the gate, it's certainly a different way to look at their roster. Can anyone play orcs comfortably without loading up completely on the strength players?

Here's a couple rosters to chew on.

3 BOBs 240
2 Blitzers 160
2 Throwers 140
4 Goblins 160
1 Troll 100
2 RR 120
8 FF 80

Notice the extra player here which would most likely be a Goblin riding the pine. Consider, then, a LOS of the BOBs and Troll, and the passing/catching game of the Throwers, Blitzers, and Goblins (the Troll can also factor into the passing game with TTM). You also get a good number of skills among your players (Pass, Sure Hands, Block, Dodge, Stunty).

If you need to play the strength game, you have a front line easily powerful enough to break open some early holes while the rest of the team builds the cage behind/around them. The Blitzers are mobile enough to assist in this endeavor.

If you want to play the passing game, note you have 5 potential catchers on the pitch - the 2 Blitzers and 3 of the Goblins (the fourth one playing backup). You should be able to flood the opponent's half of the pitch with several of these guys, and maybe even use the Troll to toss a Goblin somewhere more easily than it could Dodge/Stunty to that square. Why two Throwers? Simply so you can have better coverage on the ball, very important if you're trying to throw with any distance, since Orc Throwers are so slow.

Most likely you'll end up getting an apo, then Blitzers to replace any Goblins that die. You don't HAVE to ever buy that fourth BOB, blasphemy though that be to some. You could use that money to keep cycling through dead Goblins...

Another option is to swap out 2 Goblins for a third Blitzer - again, you'll have 5 potential catchers, just nobody on the bench this time. You still retain the option of flinging a Goblin in one direction and flooding the other direction with the three Blitzers. This roster looks like:

3 BOBs 240
1 Troll 100
3 Blitzer 240
2 Thrower 140
2 Goblin 80
2 RR 120
8 FF 80

Now, I'll grant you these rosters won't overwhelm anybody, but the theory seems sound for a 'balanced' kind of orc game. The Troll at TR 100 bothers me, too, I don't like using BGs on early teams, but the whole point of him is TTM, primarily. The BOBs can do most of the LOS work.

Finally...don't like using Goblins or Trolls but want to throw the ball? Use 4 Blitzers and perhaps a lineman or two to catch passes. You're going to be missing AG access with this one, though.

2 Throwers 140
4 Blitzers 320
3 BOBs 240
2 Liners 100
2 RRs
8 FF
Runic

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2006 - 06:11 Reply with quote Back to top

If you are interested in 'spicing' up the team later try and take leap on one of your blitzers along with tackle or strip ball.

With a RR it'll work 3 out of 4 times. Not the best odds but fun and quite surprising for the opponent.

Otherwise start without the troll and gobbo, add them on later and concentrate on a more stable game with a running game made up by Blitzers and a thrower.
Uber

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2006 - 06:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Having a goblin from the start is not such a bad idea. He's a cheap dodger with ma6, which is fast for an orc team. If you get him a skill early, go for catch. That will help you make completions with other players so that you can quickly turn the MVPs into skills. He can help you if you need to score fast, even with a desperate 1 turn TTM TD attempt.

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2006 - 06:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I find that orcs work very well with a goblin in the starting lineup. Remember, in your first few games, many of your opponents will be lacking in both block AND tackle, making the little fella difficult to knock down (unless of course you play against dwarven types).
The ability to dodge away to provide an assist, and to potentially dodge through tackle zones to either pick up or put a body near the ball can definitely win games.
He also works amazingly well as a distraction, as you can count on him to draw the opponents blitz if you put him out there on his own. Wink
Try not to score with him unless absolutely necessary, however.
Laviak

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2006 - 07:05 Reply with quote Back to top

mmm, i'm getting new-found urges to start another orc team Smile

sKink

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2006 - 07:12 Reply with quote Back to top

It's a good idea but I'd still pack up enough punch to play the normal style.

4x bob
4x blitzer
1x thrower
1x lineman
1x gobbo

2rr
8ff

With that lineup there is much flexibility and raw power. Just be sure to use your blitzers a lot for blocking purposes, since bob's tend to soak up rerolls. And protect the poor gobbo.