57 coaches online • Server time: 23:38
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Ahmrik

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2006 - 00:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,
I'm thinking of running a Human team in the Blood Bowl Grand Tournament. I'm applying real life tactics to the game though.

e.g.

If I'm Receiving (Offence) then I will run.
1 Thrower
3 Blitzers
2 Catchers
5 Linemen

Offence set up

Code:

L L L L L     
  CB             C
          T
        B   B

If I'm Kicking (Defence) I run.
3 Blitzers
4 Catchers
4 Linemen

Defence set up

Code:

C     L  L L  L    C
          B B B

C       C

Thus my team list is:
1 Thrower
5 Linemen
4 Catchers
3 Blitzers
2 Re-rolls
FF 3

The Offence is set up so I can run or pass in any match.
The Defence has more catchers than on the Offence to harrass the ball Carrier.

I've only tried this once against Dwarfs and won 4-0. This is mainly because I used the Catchers in unison to blitz the Ball carrier before a cage was formed.

Anyone else tried using real life tactics in Bloodbowl?
MiBasse

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2006 - 00:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Ahmrik wrote:
Hi,
I'm thinking of running a Human team in the Blood Bowl Grand Tournament. I'm applying real life tactics to the game though.

e.g.

If I'm Receiving (Offence) then I will run.
1 Thrower
3 Blitzers
2 Catchers
5 Linemen

Offence set up

Code:

L L L L L     
  CB             C
          T
        B   B

If I'm Kicking (Defence) I run.
3 Blitzers
4 Catchers
4 Linemen

Defence set up

Code:

C     L  L L  L    C
          B B B

C       C

Thus my team list is:
1 Thrower
5 Linemen
4 Catchers
3 Blitzers
2 Re-rolls
FF 3

The Offence is set up so I can run or pass in any match.
The Defence has more catchers than on the Offence to harrass the ball Carrier.

I've only tried this once against Dwarfs and won 4-0. This is mainly because I used the Catchers in unison to blitz the Ball carrier before a cage was formed.

Anyone else tried using real life tactics in Bloodbowl?

What do you mean with "real life tactics"? That last defence would find it's catchers Crowdpushed faster than you could say "Swiss Cheese" against dwarves in both FUMBBL and real life Razz In general I'd apply some of the same tactics in real life as I would on FUMBBL.

And are you allowed to change your roster all the time in the middle of the game? Seems a bit strange to me.

And best of luck of course Smile
Brad

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2006 - 00:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Bah - American Tactics - Swapping Offence and Defence all the time, and giving everybody a breather every 4 seconds.
Take Some Australian Tactics (AFL, Rugby League, Union Take You Pick)
Pick Your Best 11, train to hit hard in both offence and defence, keep your lines tight to protect your mates and keep hitting your opponents till they stop getting up again.

Seriously - Humans are awesome, but I'd max out on Blitzers and primarily use them as Tight Ends / Free Safetys, not simply as extra LineBackers / shields.

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2006 - 00:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, sure *real life* tactics will be useful against *real life* Minotaurs...

Rolling Eyes

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2006 - 00:46 Reply with quote Back to top

if you mean "NFL" tactics then your offense is illegal because the 2 most outside linemen arent covered. In the NFL you are required to have 7 offensive players on the line of scrimmage
and as far as your defense is concerned, you should use the 3-4 instead of the 4-3, and your safties should have 3 str, and dont have to be as fast as the corner backs
also, keep them off the sidelines and off the line of scrimmage, corners are only on the line when they are bumping receivers and as an occasional tactic its useful but an all the time thing is a bad idea, also, you want your corners inside the receivers to prevent very quick passes, so the side lines are a bad place for them to be, slants will tear you up

Goodbye Cusi
Menikmati

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2006 - 01:01 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah, got some real life tactics for you... get a job, a house and a wife. then maybe some kids, a car and a dog. tv and a computer optional. works fine for the most

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2006 - 01:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I tried a 3-4 with my human team, take a quick look at my games record and see if these tactics work on the bloodbowl field! And pro set for the offence? seems a bit lah-de-dah for me, what's wrong with a good old fashioned I-form? (except thta you'd never get to the kickoff! Which is giving me an Idea, only run kick-off/kick return formations!!)
Curro

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2006 - 11:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Well, sure *real life* tactics will be useful against *real life* Minotaurs...

The best *real life* tactic for this is a cow that is in heat....
Ahmrik

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 11:00 Reply with quote Back to top

RedFish The Catchers were couple of squares in. After a touch down reserves can come on so I generally swap players then.

Brad Why would I take Australian Rugby tactics? England are by far the better team!

Flynn The Corners are slightly of the side line.

Outlaws79 Even if I could I wouldn't use I-Form. I'm a Ravens fan so Pro set all the way.

So the advice is use Blitzers as Safeties and Tight ends and pull the corners off the line and further in.
MiBasse

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 11:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Ahmrik wrote:
RedFish The Catchers were couple of squares in. After a touch down reserves can come on so I generally swap players then.

Brad Why would I take Australian Rugby tactics? England are by far the better team!

Flynn The Corners are slightly of the side line.

Outlaws79 Even if I could I wouldn't use I-Form. I'm a Ravens fan so Pro set all the way.

So the advice is use Blitzers as Safeties and Tight ends and pull the corners off the line and further in.

M'kay. I still don't get the whole "real life" tactic thingey. Do you non-progression or short tournament structure? We have that here as well.

Or do you just mean that as soon as you step away from the screen the game of bloodbowl changes and the rules are no longer the same? Razz
thesquig

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 12:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I dont think *many* fumbblers here have been to the BB and played in the same format, but I have. Why they're mocking you, I do not know? I dont profess to be an expert with humans, but I used to play them alot in TT. I'd always go for 3 RR and probably only 12 players. Keep the FF low and make sure you always play 4 blitzers on defense and offense.

Skill wise, you've got alot of scope, unlike other races. You might want block on the catcher and guard and tackle on blitzers. I've seen humans have great success with tackle blitzer first skill, block catcher then guard for the other 3 blitzers. This was you can deal with blodgers, you got your own blodger and 3 guards mean you can bash quite well!

Expect to see alot of undead, orc and necromantic teams, they do very well in this format! As for the setups, on offense it really doesnt matter too much as long as you dont leave yourself too open for a blitz or perfect defense.

On defense I'd use a chevron setup.
http://fumbbl.com/help:Defensive+Setups

I'd put blitzers in the 4 furthest back positions and other than that it doesnt matter. You're roster seems okay, not what I'd do, buuuuuut I'm not playing so...

Good luck mate, wish I could make it.

MiBasse

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

thesquig wrote:
I dont think *many* fumbblers here have been to the BB and played in the same format, but I have. Why they're mocking you, I do not know? I dont profess to be an expert with humans, but I used to play them alot in TT. I'd always go for 3 RR and probably only 12 players. Keep the FF low and make sure you always play 4 blitzers on defense and offense.

Skill wise, you've got alot of scope, unlike other races. You might want block on the catcher and guard and tackle on blitzers. I've seen humans have great success with tackle blitzer first skill, block catcher then guard for the other 3 blitzers. This was you can deal with blodgers, you got your own blodger and 3 guards mean you can bash quite well!

Expect to see alot of undead, orc and necromantic teams, they do very well in this format! As for the setups, on offense it really doesnt matter too much as long as you dont leave yourself too open for a blitz or perfect defense.

On defense I'd use a chevron setup.
http://fumbbl.com/help:Defensive+Setups

I'd put blitzers in the 4 furthest back positions and other than that it doesnt matter. You're roster seems okay, not what I'd do, buuuuuut I'm not playing so...

Good luck mate, wish I could make it.

Ah - so I guess he's referring to the NAF rules?

That's basically what I was asking. I just never got an answer.
thesquig

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, GW publish the rules for the tourney, and they can be found on the official site I think. Basic starting roster, pick a normal skill after each game, no wizards, time limit etc...

MiBasse

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 12:28 Reply with quote Back to top

thesquig wrote:
Well, GW publish the rules for the tourney, and they can be found on the official site I think. Basic starting roster, pick a normal skill after each game, no wizards, time limit etc...

Yarr, I know. Just thought his wording was a bit strange since people also play in leagues and whatnot on board. I should probably have taken a look at the tourney before he asked, and it may be my knowledge of the English language that limited my understanding.

PS. I didn't really get all the sarcastic comments either, but it isn't unusual with ambigious expressions to be abused by people looking for a joke Smile
thesquig

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 12:30 Reply with quote Back to top

RedFish wrote:
PS. I didn't really get all the sarcastic comments either, but it isn't unusual with ambigious expressions to be abused by people looking for a joke Smile

I guess so, Fumbbl is the spam capital of the world!

Was this a spam post...? Wink

Jump to: