65 coaches online • Server time: 14:31
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Is it ok for a tournament organiser to play in their own tournament?
Yes
91%
 91%  [ 82 ]
No
8%
 8%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 90

Scratch

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 01:19 Reply with quote Back to top

What do people think is it ok for an organiser to play in his own tournament or not?
Scratch

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 01:26 Reply with quote Back to top

the tournament i am spceifically refering to is http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=3203 i dont think i should play in it but i really want to.
chunky04

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 01:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Assuming you're talking about fumbbl tournaments, it would take a saintly organiser to expend the required effort to run a good tournament without the motivation of participation IMO.

If they abuse their powers with regards to their participation, the tourney will soon fold anyways as people vote with their virtual feet.

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 01:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Oganizers are evil people that should be banned from civil society.

However organizers should play in their tourneys if the want to.

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 01:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the input burnalot
Scratch

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 02:05 Reply with quote Back to top

My thoughts exactly chunky, however i am very motivated so i dont need to play i can always play other games as its going. By the way we need more players!!!
chunky04

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 02:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Thats a pretty complicated ruleset.

It comes down to your ability to separate the playing and organising components. If you (and more importantly the other players) trust you to keep these interests separate, it won't be a problem. You may need to make some of the decisions more transparent and/or automated according to a particular system to remove yourself from some of the processes, but I don't see why that couldn't be achieved.

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 02:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I think there are three fair options (in order of preference):

1) Don't join your own tournament
2) Join, but with a weaker team (in the case of this tournament, run the 'fling or Goblin team, for example)
3) Just play, with a fully competitive team: but make sure you have someone else who people know on the staff of your group, so everyone's confident there's no funny business Wink

But, as a rule, if the games are being played in good spirit and it doesn't all get too serious, i don't think it should really be a problem.

YMMV. Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 02:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I never complained about a coach playing in his own tournament and I never had complains when I did myself. Just do. If you don't cheat for yourself, you will never have problems.

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 02:35 Reply with quote Back to top

You want to play? Follow Mully's example...he wins his own tournaments!!! hehheh

See for yourselves: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=1825

You gotta play, you will lose interest if you don't, it's human nature. At least its FUMBBL nature.

Da_Todfatha
Scratch

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 02:57 Reply with quote Back to top

thats again for all the input guys apreciate it. the rules arnt too complex, the finals have been straightened out and im working on making it easier to read 6 places left for all those interested!
Mithrilpoint

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 03:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, i´m with Da_Todfatha on this one. If you don´t play yourself you will lose interest. You are probably creating the tournament in the first place because you like the concept of the whole thing.

Intentionally playing with a weak team because you are the organizer actually makes the tourney more unbalanced. In multi-group round robin phases, your group will have an easier time than group B, in KO...yeah well thats kinda abvious aint it? Smile. Now, if you were playing with a weak team because it is fun, then it´s all fine as coaches have every right to choose which team they wanna play. Including the organizer.

Of course, there would be no practical difference between the two, but the ethical difference is there.

M

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 03:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Da_Todfatha wrote:
You want to play? Follow Mully's example...he wins his own tournaments!!! hehheh

See for yourselves: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=1825

You gotta play, you will lose interest if you don't, it's human nature. At least its FUMBBL nature.

Da_Todfatha

You Bastard!!!!! I was purposely avoiding this thread.

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 08:37 Reply with quote Back to top

As a tourney organizer you should be able to judge fair and without preferences. And thus you can play in your own tourneys...
Curro

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 08:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Play it if you want Scratch, and try to be imparcial.
 Jump to: