79 coaches online • Server time: 22:25
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post 7s for fummbl?goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post All Star Bowl!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Logezero

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 22:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a newbie trying to develop a team for a local league (mostly other newbies). I've narrowed my selection down to three teams, but I don't know the nuances of the team, and in general just don't know if they'd work. I would appreciate any advice/comments. The teams are:

Norse-

1 Minotaur, 1 Thrower, 2 Catchers, 3 Blitzers, 4 Lineman, 9 FF, 2 RR

I like this team becuase it is close to my original concept: fast and capable of dealing damage. Most players have MA 6 and Block. I'm aware of the minotaur's wild animal, but I would generally just keep him in reserve hovering near the thrower and a blitzer/lineman to blitz (after everyone else) anyone threatening to score.
My concern is that general consensus dictates this team would lose as many players as they take out. That alone doesn't concern me, but I do worry that later on other teams will gain experience and up their players while I'll still have to rely on mostly fresh-off-the-longboat rookies.

Chaos Dwarf-

1 Troll, 2 Bull Centaur, 3 Chaos Dwarf Blockers, 5 Hobgoblin, 9 FF, 2 RR

I like that first six players mentioned are tough bastards. I especially like the bull centaurs, which I plan to make 1 an offensive ballrunner and the other a player-destroying freight train. The hobgoblins can also be developed into the throwers/catchers that this team lacks (my mix would eventually be 1 thrower, 2 catchers, and the other two either replaced by blockers or upgraded to whomp on lighter fare).
My concern is that the same hobgoblins will be a liability. I imagine that the other newbies will err on the side of bashiness and field teams that can take out my hobgoblins in the first half and outnumber my better players game after game.

Orc-

1 Troll, 3 Black Orc Blockers, 1 Thrower, 2 Blitzers, 4 Linemen, 9 FF, 2 RR, 2 Cheerleaders

I like that the orcs have nearly straight 9s for AV across the board. Additionally, they have the prerequisite bashiness.
My concern is that they are the all-around slowest team. Their is also a dearth of skills.

If anyone can advise on which team to go with (or perhaps how to tweak them) that would be snazzy.

PS-Also, I know what rerolls are and I get the concept that FF generates income. However, the other stuff (cheerleaders, assistent coaches, apothecaries) are a complete blank. What are they for?
Macavity

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 22:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Orc, if you're a Noob. Lose the Troll, though.

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 22:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Take orcs.
Ludicruz

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 22:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
Orc, if you're a Noob. Lose the Troll, though.

Couldn't agree more. Rather easy to play as a starting team...but skip the troll and get 4 blitzers instead...ohh...drop em cheerleaders as well.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 23:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Orcs. No Troll, 3 Rerolls.

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 23:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Logezero wrote:
(cheerleaders, assistent coaches, apothecaries) are a complete blank. What are they for?

Cheerleaders and assistant coaches: the minor effect is that you get an improved chance of getting a RR for the half 1 kick off out of 9. The larger effect is that you the 10K money they cost.
Apothecary has the effect that you will suffer fewer injuries, which saves you money in the long run. I usually get one after a few matches.
Wallace

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2006 - 00:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Go for orcs with no troll and ditch the cheerleaders, they aren't cost and TR effective. Orcs are a good race for beginners as they are forgiving with their AV9 but are able to play a passing game. They aren't as all out bashy as many people think.
Dominik

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2006 - 00:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Kick the cheerleaders, the apo and 1 ff and buy a 3rd black orc blocker.
When you have 50.000 buy an apo as next action.

Last edited by Dominik on %b %17, %2006 - %00:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
Meetgrinder

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2006 - 00:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Take Orcs.

CD start slow, but are a decent bashing side - i hate to play against them, but you have to know what you are doing to get most effect from them (Bull Centaurs need to skill up asap to be effective).

Norse? Block to start with, cheap rr, great! Except they are slow, and oh yeah, AV7. They fold better than paper, die in droves.

Orcs are decent all rounders - not fast but lots of Blitzers/Bobs and option later of Trolls/Gobbo possible 1 turn TTM touchdown, and they great for new coaches with AV9 etc. After a couple of games your blitzers will be Block/Guard/Mighty Blow and even your BOBs will be getting in with block with a bit of luck.

I won games with CD but RR were so expensive, and if your Hob gobs get tied up it's not easy to scoop up that pesky ball :S
Laviak

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2006 - 00:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd go for orcs to start with - they give a good introduction to the 'bashy' side of the game, and are relatively easy to get started eith Wink

Orc: 4 Black Orc Blockers, 1 Thrower, 4 Blitzers, 2 Linemen, 7 FF, 2 RR
Orc: 3 Black Orc Blockers, 1 Thrower, 3 Blitzers, 4 Linemen, 7 FF, 3 RR

imo you need the 3 RRs with orcs, especially starting out.

Ansbach

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2006 - 00:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Just a thought.. if you are playing in a tabletop league and you have or want troll and/or cheerleader mini's - ignore all this advice and play with them!

Very Happy

But I would vote Orcs as well, with the above advice geared towards making your team as competitive as possible. Also, if you do go with a troll you should add some goblins, maybe 2, and remove a lineorc.
Dominik

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2006 - 00:54 Reply with quote Back to top

The chance of scoring through ttm is with a normal length (los) only ~10% (2 Gfi and 2-3x dodges on 3+) - it's better to invest at the beginning in another player than a goblin.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2006 - 01:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Just one advice: DON'T take NORSES. Really hard to use. The frenzy may cause you problems, low AV don't forgive newbees mistakes.

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2006 - 01:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Dominik wrote:
The chance of scoring through ttm is with a normal length (los) only ~10% (2 Gfi and 2-3x dodges on 3+)...

Not in a Noob League! Wink

Besides, they are good for things other than going for a 1T-TD...

Last edited by Ansbach on %b %17, %2006 - %01:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
Brad

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2006 - 01:05 Reply with quote Back to top

As a Newb in a relativly similar league, Orcs, with 3 RRs, although either of Laviak's teams are good starting. Your opponents will find it hard to find 2D blocks on you, and when they do they will normally be on your Block players. Take Orc, Mark up 1 on 1 against everyone but Dwarves/CDwarves, and use your Thrower as either a RB or QB. Match your AV 9 up against everyone elses 8 or 7, and make them burn their RRs dodging away / making 1 Dice Blocks.