70 coaches online • Server time: 22:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Getting diced 3 game...goto Post 7s for fummbl?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
bove

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

This is a thing i've been thinking about. It comes from something i posted last week.
I was playing this dude whose ambition in life was to have a team of beastmen who all had 'gaurd'. I'd come across a few Halfling teams who all had 'diving tackle'. Barring any juicy doubles on my Savage Orcs (in which case Frenzy seems an obligation) then i'm teaching them all Shadowing.

So what i was thinking is, which skills do y'all reckon would be the most and least useful were you to give them to every man of your common or garden 11 linemen teams, in exclusivity. Ie:

Guard: This one struck me as damned great if the whole team has it. If you can get your opponent drawn into a big mash-up in midfield, then you can get the edge by surrounding them. I'm aiming to get this on my Zombie/Skeleton horde. Weight of numbers can drag players down even if you're outnumbered.

Stand Firm: Maybe better with harder teams, but also good for elves or amazons, to cut out the possibility of turnovers from falling on yo ass. Not as much of a multiplier as guard...

Diving tackle/Shadowing: With some diving zombies, and the aforementioned orcs, these have got me out of trouble many times without me even realising. If you can get the whole team diving or chasing then you're bound to get a ton of cheap turnovers against the more agile teams. Bashers are likely to just kick your arse, but with teams that rely on staying clear, something that pulls back their dodges would give you a huge boon.

We'll forget about Block or Dodge, as they are quite common skills for whole rosters to rock.

On the downside, obviously things like Frenzy would probably be a liability unless you're some kind of chess-playing forward-planning brain-in-a-jar. I spose Pro would make the difference over time too.

So what do you lot think? If you only had one skill to choose from, and you were to end up with your whole team sporting it, what would you go for? What would be most fun? Most effective? Most pointless? Most risky? (we can include mutations too, but i'm sure most of us are aware of the benefits of Claw or Razor Sharp Claws.)
Curro

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 16:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Definitely, Kick. Smile

No, Dirty player is a good one to give to all your players.

PS.- Is this a repeated thread?
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll talk about an all human linos team. Cause its average.

Eleven Guards beat the crap out of every other team.
They outbash both eleven blocks and eleven MightyBlows.

Maybe they don't outbash eleven claws, but I think they could.

Eleven diving tacklers would be a true nightmare.

ps: on a side note: it all depends on the team you face. At TR100 eleven dodgers are awesome, cause when placed near a blockless guy, they become blodgers for all purposes (since a pow/skull would mean turnover for the opponent anyway.

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 16:13 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
At TR100 eleven dodgers are awesome, cause when placed near a blockless guy, they become blodgers for all purposes (since a pow/skull would mean turnover for the opponent anyway.

For that reason I always took the pow/skull in my OLL game against the amazons: AV7 vs AV8 regenerate of my zombies seemed to be a good deal for taking both down.
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 16:51 Reply with quote Back to top

bove wrote:
Stand Firm: Maybe better with harder teams, but also good for elves or amazons, to cut out the possibility of turnovers from falling on yo ass. Not as much of a multiplier as guard...

This might be a good time to remind that no elven players have had acces to stand firm since what lrb 2.0?

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 16:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Optihut wrote:
JanMattys wrote:
At TR100 eleven dodgers are awesome, cause when placed near a blockless guy, they become blodgers for all purposes (since a pow/skull would mean turnover for the opponent anyway.

For that reason I always took the pow/skull in my OLL game against the amazons: AV7 vs AV8 regenerate of my zombies seemed to be a good deal for taking both down.

on last blocks, u are right.
But talking about TR100 teams, very few have block... so suffering a turnover in your second or third block is not nice. Even 2 D blocks by a blockless player to a dodge one are good. The chances of a turnover are higher than the chances to know the victim down.

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 16:57 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:

But as any Amazon player will tell you, vs Dwarfs, eleven players with dodge are just eleven slightly more expensive lumps of meat.

Eleven shadowers would be very hard to plan against, because the nature of the opposition line would be so fluid you might end up with a player isolated behind the line and suddenly have to switch to a defensive mode.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Um... Shadowing ain't gonna work any better against dwarves. They won't be dodging away from you.....

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 17:20 Reply with quote Back to top

A team of shadowing guarders whould be great Wink Although I dunno if the client is implemented in the way that following up a made block is eligible for shadowing Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 17:25 Reply with quote Back to top

A whole team with guard........ perhaps you should see those tr200+ dorfs and orcs. It is why we call them "Fisher Price Teams".

Hellen Keller could choose their skills.

Imagine a pro elf team where EVERY set of doubles was dumpoff and everyone had diving catch as well. That could be fun!

__Synn
sKink

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 17:27 Reply with quote Back to top

All sidestep is slippery.

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 17:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
But as any Amazon player will tell you, vs Dwarfs, eleven players with dodge are just eleven slightly more expensive lumps of meat.

Tupical Dwarf Vs Girls game:
BLOCK MANGLE SMASH......

a little later, midgets huddle up on the center of the field and runner says:
"OK team, we kicked the s*** out of those weird looking thralls. Now, has anyone seen some vampires around?"
Wink

OT:
all leap elves could be nasty...
Squaq

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 17:35 Reply with quote Back to top

All +strength is awsome - Eventhough all +2ST would be better Wink
MagmaBeast

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 17:36 Reply with quote Back to top

xcver wrote:
A team of shadowing guarders whould be great Wink Although I dunno if the client is implemented in the way that following up a made block is eligible for shadowing Wink

It doesn't work in the client even though in the skill description it says you should be able to.
Plorg

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

All Guard is standard for higher level Dwarf teams, as is All Mighty Blow.
Guard across the board significantly changes the way players are deployed.

All Dirty Player is powerful, as long as there are more than 11 players available.
They tend to eliminate themselves from the game.

All Side Step seems like it would be interesting,
and like Guard would also change the way players are deployed.

All Diving Tackle is what my halfling team tends to have.
It works quite well against elves, skaven, amazons... dodgy teams.
Bashy teams, however, aren't planning to dodge much
and would just as soon knock you down.

All Diving Catch... I think this would be very amusing.
One Hail Mary Pass thrower would make the team insane.
 Jump to: