53 coaches online • Server time: 16:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Pro Bloodlustgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Hoodeddwarf

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 18:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Crowdpushing is a useful tool, and one i think has been discussed to death. However i wonder what other people think about the strategy of deliberately setting up a crowdpush as a way of manipulating what the opposition choose to do in their own turn.
Very often with a crowdpush set up for next turn opposition players will use their blitz to clear the threat or risk a 4+, 3+ dodge or a 1-dice block fairly early in their turn. Clearly the threat of a crowdpush is not one to be ignored, but it seems some players will compromise their defense/offense in order to not face that injury roll that might follow.
Has anyone else used this to their advantage, and how hard do you try to keep that lino alive??

PS: By setting up a crowdpush i also mean preventing an assist for a simple 2d-block to escape.
Synn

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 18:33 Reply with quote Back to top

The only way to really go about threatening a crowd push is to be prepared to follow through if your opponent does not move the offending player away (often through TZs and such).

__Synn
**If you get crowdpushed, it is your own fault.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 18:37 Reply with quote Back to top

What about intentionally putting a player of yours on the sideline, so he wastes his blitz?

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 18:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
What about intentionally putting a player of yours on the sideline, so he wastes his blitz?
after someone mentioned this in a thread the other day (was it you Macavity?) I have started doing this. It's especially good when you have a player who is running in for the TD - your opponent will quite often choose the crowdpush over putting an extra tackle zone on your ballcarrier, and that makes your job a mite easier.

As for threatening it - it's a good way to hurry up stallers.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 19:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Nope, wasn't me... sorry for repeating....

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 19:19 Reply with quote Back to top

It'd work against me: I'd definitely blitz a guy on the sideline into the crowd, instead of getting the ball-bearer Smile
Meech

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 19:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:

I have started doing this as well with people that try to play "fast". They tend not to notice Stand Firm or Side Step.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 19:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, but you're mean, Meech! Razz

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 19:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Meech wrote:
Macavity wrote:

I have started doing this as well with people that try to play "fast". They tend not to notice Stand Firm or Side Step.

Yep, always a good laugh when that happens. Laughing

Btw, Mac, I followed your orders: check the new sticky!

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2006 - 01:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Of course, if it doesn't work then you've got some idiot standing over by the sideline all by himself.

Is there some sort of stigma against crowd pushing, like there is with fouling? One time I pushed someone into the crowd, and he said something like "Thanks for the crowd push" and then "Very chivalrous." Then he started fouling like crazy. So I started fouling him back, and put some nigglers on his players. Then after the game he started complaining about all my fouling.

Now, obviously this guy is a complaining hypocrite, but I was just wondering if there might be a sizable population that thinks it's "unsporting."
MagmaBeast

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2006 - 02:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Personnaly, I have no problem with crowdpush cause you have a share of responsabilty for putting your player there unlike a foul wich just cannot be avoided. Of course using 2 frenzy players plus your blitz while choosing pushes instead of pows for a crowd push is another story...
thesquig

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2006 - 02:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Its a great tactic and I use it often. If I can force a coach to leave a player on the floor that means I've got at least one extra player to carve an opening with, supurb. Its all about numbers imo, if you can tie two players up with one player then do it, even if you get hit Smile

ozjesting

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2006 - 02:38 Reply with quote Back to top

My favourite of all is the rare chance to hit a standing player and due to position push a PRONE player into the crowd...2 for one is always a bargin! Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2006 - 02:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Haha, that is funny as ever, especially crowding players from line of scrimmage, easy with dwarves and it has to be easier with norse. Right bastard material, and i think it was mentioned there before. Sure crowdpushing is "unsportsmanlike." But hey so are most of the tricks people pull out of their sleeves to win games. Excessive fouling, one turners, you name it.

To the "normal" crowdpush, i have no quealms against, if i have risked my player to the spot on the first place, its allright if opponent uses my stupid move to his advantage.

Also one thing that most people dont really see is that it is 100% sure way to remove player from the game, they see it only as a dirty thing or possible casualty. And only way to get rid of that annoying iron man(tm) player as well.

my 2 cents.
Uber

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2006 - 04:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I like to openly threaten the opponent in these kind of situations. I'll say: "Drop the ball or your player gets it". Most coaches realize the danger and will comply in order to save their guys from a probable death. Usually, I will still crowdpush the player, at which point I'll cleverly add a "Fooled you, sucka!" to the discussion and score a TD.