60 coaches online • Server time: 19:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post SWL Season 100!goto Post Problem to organize ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Pirrekurr

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2006 - 23:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Random fact.

Elvis Presley's first ever motion picture "Love Me Tender" was translated into swedish as "Duell i Texas" which means exactly that, "Duel in Texas". One of the strangest movie translations ever.

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2006 - 23:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Random Fact:

You can't overcook overcooked stuff!

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2006 - 23:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Random Fact:

The speed of light is NOT a limit, contrary to belief.

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2006 - 23:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Random Fact of the Day: Yesterday, Laviak managed to go to work without closing his front door. The door was open all day, and when he returned, everything was still exactly where he left it!

Woodpecker

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2006 - 00:46 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
Random Fact:

The speed of light is NOT a limit, contrary to belief.

You crazy VSL fool. Razz *Demands proof*
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2006 - 01:07 Reply with quote Back to top

La notizia: la velocità della luce è stata superata!

Daniela Mugnai, Anedio Ranfagni e Rocco Ruggeri, ricercatori dell'Istituto sulle onde elettromagnetiche di Firenze, sarebbero riusciti a superare, in laboratorio, la velocità della luce. Notizia clamorosa anche se
già lo scorso anno il ricercatore Lijun Wang (Università di Princeton), era riuscito ad andare oltre quella velocità considerata insuperabile, 300 mila km/s, ottenendo addirittura un valore 300 volte superiore alla media.

I risultati degli italiani sono stati meno entusiasmanti in quanto i fotoni (le particelle luminose) hanno evidenziato una velocità da 2 a 4 volte superiore a quella naturale, ma sono stati replicati due volte.
Proprio grazie a questo risultato, si è avuta la certezza che in natura non esistono leggi immutabili o che almeno, oggi, esse si rivelano, per l'uomo, insondabili e soprattutto che non esistono, neanche nella scienza, dogmi.

Translation:
Speed of light has been surpassed!

Daniela Mugnai, Anedio Ranfagni and Rocco Ruggeri, researchers at the Electromagnetic waves Institute in Florence, claim they've been able to break the speed of light in laboratory. Shocking news, even if last year researcher Lijun Wang (Princeton University) was able to obtain a speed 300 times superior to the speed of light, which is 300k Km/s

The italian experiment is considered important cause it was replicated two times, even if the italian researchers only obtained speeds from 2 to 4 times the speed of light.
Thanks to this result the world had the proof there are no unchanging laws in nature, or (at least) that they are yet unknown and unknoledgeable to mankind.

Translation offered by JanMattys, so if there are wrong english words it's my fault. I found the italian article and I'm just too lazy to translate better than this.

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2006 - 01:29 Reply with quote Back to top

The Laws of Physics never make the claim that the speed of light is a <b>limit</b>, even though for nearly all realms of physics we can practically think of it as such. What they say is that it is impossible to <b>accelerate</b> to, or through the speed of light, as this would take an infinite amount of force. If you can somehow get there without accelerating through the 'barrier', then entire new realms of science emerge.

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2006 - 01:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Infact I wrote "contrary to belief"

Very Happy

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2006 - 01:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry JanMattys, knew what U were saying - totally agree. Was trying to help out with the 'proof' for Woodpecker.

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2006 - 04:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Random Fact # 103

Quote:
Iraqi terrorist, Khay Rahnajet, didn't pay enough postage on a letter bomb. It came back with "return to sender" stamped on it. Forgetting it was the bomb, he opened it and was blown to bits.

I don't know if it's true, but the idea is appealing Very Happy

ps Before I get flamed for stereotyping or muslim bashing etc, feel free to substitue 'Iraqi terrorist' for the race/clique/cult/movement etc that annoys you the most. I apologise in advance to any Iraqi terrorists out there who might be offended.
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2006 - 16:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Random fact of the day:

Several Jewish soldiers in the Finnish army received decorations from Nazi Germany during the second world war, but refused to accept them.

(Was news to me, anyway)

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2006 - 23:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Random fact:
A water welon is actually not a fruit. It's a false berry - just like cranberry, blueberry, banana and cucumber all are.

Pirrekurr wrote:
Random fact.

Elvis Presley's first ever motion picture "Love Me Tender" was translated into swedish as "Duell i Texas" which means exactly that, "Duel in Texas". One of the strangest movie translations ever.

Somewhat related:

Finnish TV channel, MTV3, once showed a film titled "The Scrub". Guess what the translation was called? That's right, "Jenkki ja Lenkki neropatteina" (= "Jenkki and Lenkki as geniuses").

DonTomaso

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2006 - 23:44 Reply with quote Back to top

The movie 'Them' was translated to 'Spindlarna' in swedish, wich means 'The Spiders'... pretty nice, since the movie is about giant ants...

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2006 - 00:01 Reply with quote Back to top

The thing about saying the wrong words is that A, I don't notice it, and B,
sometimes orange water gibbon bucket and plastic

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2006 - 01:14 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
Random fact that is TRUELY pointless.

40,000 children under 5 die each day throiugh malnutrition, dehydration and vaccine preventable diseases.

Oh and 49% of the total global arms spending each year is by the USA.

This used to be my sig for good reason. This fact can't be repeated often enough.

As Always,
Evolve To Anarchism
Instead we focus on stuff like this