33 coaches online • Server time: 10:25
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post 7s for fummbl?goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which Team is best suited for longterm leagues?
Chaos
8%
 8%  [ 11 ]
Chaos Dwarf, Dwarf
12%
 12%  [ 16 ]
Dark Elf, High Elf
18%
 18%  [ 23 ]
Elf, Woodelf
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Human
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Lizardman
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Necromantic
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Orc
51%
 51%  [ 64 ]
Undead
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Others (Amazon, Khemri, Ogre, Norse, Nurgle, Skaven, Vampire)
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 124

Tricktickler

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2006 - 01:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Fumbbl Cup is not a long term league.

Last edited by Tricktickler on %b %14, %2006 - %01:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
maxlongstreet

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2006 - 01:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I would definitely say orcs. They're a long term team with almost no weaknesses. The only weakness of the entire team is that it's a bit slow. Comparing apples to apples--Orcs vs. other bashy teams--And the orcs come out ahead. Orcs vs. Dwarves? Orcs trade off not having tackle and thick skull for being cheaper and having 5 +ST players. Orcs vs. Chaos? Chaos get horns and those fancy mutations and are a little bit faster. But Orcs are more skilled and have better armor. Having players that are cheap, strong, and with great armor and good starting skills is the best combination in the game.
chunky04

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2006 - 01:39 Reply with quote Back to top

A lot depends on the type of long term league you're referring to as well. By long-term do you mean just high TR? I wouldn't consider Ranked to be a long-term league, as its really just a bunch of discrete oneoff games with a varying team, against any matchup you choose.

If you can pick your games then the fragile teams get a big leg up as they can ensure they get adequate recovery games, and still have a chance of winning those games.

In a scheduled league the bashy teams definitely have the advantage, and in our league, the SWL, CDs and Dwarfs have definitely had the best of it - the Orcs tend not to do as well against the lighter teams as the Dwarfs do.

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2006 - 01:53 Reply with quote Back to top

In a long term league, which this post is about, orcs have plenty of time to get tackle. A whole team full of block/tackle/guard/mighty blow is cookie cutter but works against anybody.
Eowyn

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2006 - 02:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I like playing teams which score a lot but never liked Dark Elfs. I don't see the point in the witch elfs. Frenzy can backfire without block and later on you really don't want to have the witch standing next to the tackler.
maxlongstreet

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2006 - 02:12 Reply with quote Back to top

If you're talking long term--The point of your thread--Then a witch elf without block is about as common as a pink elephant.
chunky04

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2006 - 03:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Again, that depends on the longterm league you're talking about max. Its quite easy to skill up Orcs to all get tackle if you're picking your games and the need to win every single game isn't as prevalent. In a league where you have scheduled games and you need to win almost every game, this isn't the case so much. Even a straight off the shelf longbeard comes with Tackle, while the Orc Blitzer (or lineman) will typically need a number of games to get it, which is important when it comes to replacing the losses that are inevitable in long term play, even for Orcs and Dwarfs. The Orcs may be superior in terms of strength, but IMO the Dwarfs are better able to cope with a glut of short-term losses and still win those games when they're down.

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2006 - 03:52 Reply with quote Back to top

maxlongstreet wrote:
In a long term league, which this post is about, orcs have plenty of time to get tackle. A whole team full of block/tackle/guard/mighty blow is cookie cutter but works against anybody.

Have to agree - No Imagination, Not too much skill required - just keep them alive long enough to get 3 skills each (Not hard with AV9), and put your mind on autopilot to compete at high TRs. Not saying all Orc coaches dont have skill, but cookie cutting them will destroy 90% of any other strategy from any other team.

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2006 - 09:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I´d say orcs, but actually have no idea. Never played a long running league.
Webbe

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2006 - 09:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, the only long term league that I know a lot about (and play in) is Svenska Ligan and there an orc dominance is established in the highest division. We have a race cap that is currently 5 (depending on how many divisions there is at the current season) and last season all 5 orc teams were in the top division (5 of 12 teams) but as one of the teams is taking a break we only got 4 this season.

Orcs are definately the race that can stay strong the longest and without heavy dips in power in a long term league. With a souped up HE/DE team it's easier to win though but your team will be forced into retirement (or heavy, slow reabuilding) sooner or later.

I'm currently in the highest division for the first time with my HE team (had a DE team earlier that was destroyed before they could reach the highest division) and I am the hottest candidate for the win this season (that just started).

Conclusion:
For me (if I'm the coach) I think that orcs are easily the best loooong term race to play but with HE/DEs I can get a much better team temporary but their power will eventually will be drained.

Sidenote: Chaos are also a very good team at high TR but suffer more from injuries than orcs so I place them as a hybrid between orcs and elves. It's much easier for them to get up from a powerdrop than for the elves.
RC

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2006 - 09:56 Reply with quote Back to top

And how about Ogres? You might struggle a bit in the beginning but if you ever get 14/15 Ogres and 6rrs you are bound to become a force in a league. Your only enemy would be aging.

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2006 - 10:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Nah, Ogres don't win games against elves.

Without any tackles they will always have a hard time knocking elves down, and the boneheads make it very hard to have a stable cage.

They may be able to survive, but they will not dominate a league at any TR.

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2006 - 10:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Does no one like lizards? Sad I find if you make a a saurus or 2 scorers they do quite well. Also its nice to be able to hire a star and field 8 players with at least 4st. Which btw is a stronger line than the orcs or dwarves can put out and at higher TR should have block and guard as well.
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2006 - 10:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I love lizards, but the fact remains that at higher TR it is very hard for the Sauri to protect their skinks from tackle/MB guys hunting them.

Let's face it, we don't all have 2 AG3 sauri to handle the ball once the skinks are gone Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2006 - 10:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

like playing teams which score a lot but never liked Dark Elfs. I don't see the point in the witch elfs. Frenzy can backfire without block and later on you really don't want to have the witch standing next to the tackler.

The witches arent the point of the dark elfs. Four elven blitzers are the point. The witches are just icing on the cake.
I only take witches for fun (after 4 blitzers and 2 throwers) in my DE-teams.
 Jump to: