85 coaches online • Server time: 22:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Adar

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2006 - 18:07 Reply with quote Back to top

The spainards hasn't won a proper war since the brits sunk the grand fleet. I blame the language for that so lets stick with a winning language, american! Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2006 - 18:18 Reply with quote Back to top

MrMojo wrote:
Mongolian?

Read some linguistics before making bold statements about my native tongue.

There is a theory held by some linguists that Altaic and Uralic languages share a common origin but the the evidence to support that is vague at best and often circumstantial. It's not impossible though.

Anyway, in the case of the Union ever switching to one official language please make it Interlingua or simply invent a new one.

Mondays, 20:00-0:00
Tuesdays, 20:00-0:00
Wednesdays, 20:00-0:00
Thursdays, 22:00-0:00
Fridays, preferably not
Weekends, generally daytime 8:00-17:00
thesquig

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2006 - 18:26 Reply with quote Back to top

The only language people understand nowadays is nudity.
Shocked

Karhumies

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2006 - 19:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Nature_Warden wrote:
-- the real question is which language is by far the most efficient? I find English somewhat dull and impertinent at times though the vocabulary options offer a somewhat specific ellegance as well?

Efficient in terms of being able to write it down easily and coherently from spoken language (Finnish) or in terms of being able to "pack in" as much information into as small space as possible: short words, short sentences, fast speed, lots of info (definitely not Finnish)?

Nature_Warden

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2006 - 19:27 Reply with quote Back to top

The intrigueing aspect of that point is that they are both a form of efficiency... so if we could somehow bring togethor the best aspects of the conglomerate English and the "adjective I don't know cause I only took 1 linguistics course and dropped out to play pool and drink beer" Finnish we would likely find the perfect language...
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2006 - 19:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Except nobody would be able to learn it. Smile

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2006 - 19:51 Reply with quote Back to top

MrMojo wrote:
Nature_Warden wrote:
The intrigueing aspect of that point is that they are both a form of efficiency... so if we could somehow bring togethor the best aspects of the conglomerate English and the "adjective I don't know cause I only took 1 linguistics course and dropped out to play pool and drink beer" Finnish we would likely find the perfect language...

Except nobody would be able to learn it. Smile

Every drunk Finn trying to speak English knows it by instinct: short words, pronounciation is equal to the written form and sentences are very short, simple and to the point. No articles. It only needs to be spoken much, much faster to make it truly efficient.

Wink

Panda_

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2006 - 20:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Every langage should be official.

If you all adhere to one, you will lose your country culture.

Speak Corse, Chtimi, Breton, Alsacian (bas rhin, haut rhin), méditérarnéen, and even basic french !

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2006 - 21:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Montagne wrote:
Jesus I hope thats a joke, otherwise we will look like dislexical nerds.

If you are dyslexic like me its going to be even more fun...I spell check the word yes...What the heck will i do if it changes... Crying or Very sad
HunterX

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2006 - 22:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Skrofler wrote:
Anyway, in the case of the Union ever switching to one official language please make it Interlingua or simply invent a new one.

LATIN!!! And then we can all speak in High Chant Laughing
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2006 - 22:33 Reply with quote Back to top

HunterX wrote:
Skrofler wrote:

LATIN!!! And then we can all speak in High Chant Laughing

It's like LA would start talking spanish!

But wait...somethings not right with that one...

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2006 - 22:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the only country that wouldn't vote for it's own language for 'the' official language would be the Netherlands.

The Dutch government has spent decades and heaps of money to make sure that every inhabitant speaks at least two languages (actually speak, not just babble), so that our small country can compete anywhere on the world. We're not there yet, but it's close Smile
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2006 - 06:50 Reply with quote Back to top

You speak what? Indonesian?

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2006 - 09:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

It's like LA would start talking spanish!

Yes!! Spanish all around the world
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2006 - 10:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Panda_ wrote:
Every langage should be official.

If you all adhere to one, you will lose your country culture.

Speak Corse, Chtimi, Breton, Alsacian (bas rhin, haut rhin), méditérarnéen, and even basic french !

kk... to make this clear... there are three official languages in eu... frensh, english and german.... its complete crap to make all dokuments and laws in every language of every eu country official... this would slow the the eu-law massivly down, maybe it would be impossible to make any new laws, however there would be much work for translators and lawyers...

tthe reason why there is frensh and german beside english is obviously because france is to proud to do anything not in their own language, while the rest of the world has lower interest in them, germany besides is economically strongest country of the eu and feels forced to bring its own part of influence to that (if the small frensh have their own eu language, the germans want their own too), ...while english is still most spoken and can be understoood from everyone, its still the language of real communication... face it... even on fumbbl people speak english and it works fine, and it would work much less fine if some would start to ask if we could establish finnish as secondary option (you could do that and speak that but i would finally not understand that)...and really noone wants to learn new languages because of the europian union
 Jump to: