44 coaches online • Server time: 11:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2006 - 20:43 Reply with quote Back to top

so, i'm thinking about scheduling a snowboarding trip to europe this coming winter, and was hoping to get a few suggestions on where to go....2 places i've seen so far are Geilo in Norway, Levi in Finland, and Salen or Trysil in Sweden....

for anyone who's into snowboarding, and has been to any resorts in that area, ideas?...

few of the requirements...terrain park...on-site lodging...a nice bar/nightlife(gotta have some fun after hours if i'm spending a week there Wink ), etc etc...

--j

ImageImage
Gismo

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2006 - 20:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I gotta recommend Pyhätunturi (http://www.laplandpyha.fi/winter/) if you're coming to Finland. Although it is a rather small resort it's got about everything a snowboarder would want. Including good afterski!
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2006 - 20:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Now I'm officially afraid. Shadow coming to Finland? It's like Conan O'Brien but scarier.

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2006 - 21:43 Reply with quote Back to top

You could always check out Vernon BC if it was winter here in Western Canada... It's kind of like Banff but with more seclusion, it could also be terrible so don't take my word on it... I hear it's always beautiful although I don't know jack about skiing or snowboarding...
Panda_

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2006 - 21:56 Reply with quote Back to top

You should go to the Alps (France/Italy/Suiss). There is lot's of stations. They are more turned toward ski, but you will have plenty good times to go there.

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2006 - 22:17 Reply with quote Back to top

yes...i'm debating going to europe....maybe if you're lucky, mojo, i'll come sleep on your couch *cackle*....

as for vernon...i've actually got a friend who lives up there...ironic....i'm trying to avoid anything in north america...i've never been to europe, and i'd really love to go there and be a tourist for a little while...stay overnight somewhere, go skiing for a week, come home, etc etc....

one of my coworkers was telling me about a resort down in slovenia, and that it's got some pretty crazy slopes....Kranjska Gora, maybe?

--j

ImageImage
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2006 - 22:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't come here, only flat land here, no slopes, no hills, no nothing.

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2006 - 22:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I've heard that Slovenia is very cheap and locals there only ski at marked slopes. So if you're into offpiste boarding thats were you can enjoy all the powder by yourself. Bad thing is, if you break your foot or something, the hospitals and doctors ain't that gifted Smile
BiggieB

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2006 - 22:28 Reply with quote Back to top

salen is better then trysil and are is even better, but I´d still recommend u going to either austria or salen
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2006 - 22:53 Reply with quote Back to top

mmmm.....

fresh powder.....

backcountry boarding is like heaven......i need a job that lets me snowboard all day Sad

biggie....why austria or salen?...other than the drunk blondes Wink....why not are over salen?

--j

ImageImage
Adar

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2006 - 23:27 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:

biggie....why austria or salen?...other than the drunk blondes Wink....why not are over salen?

--j

I can't speak for BiggieB but I think the off pist in Sälen is alot better than in Åre. Åre is a better mountain with great slopes but theres so many marked slopes squeezed in there that theres very little room for off pist.

However if you want some really cool off pist would I suggest Riksgränsen. My dad constantly buggers me about that I should go there for skiing. Just let the site load (your redirected and it takes a while for it to load) and then click the small british flag to get the english version.

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2006 - 00:28 Reply with quote Back to top

ok i keep seeing this word around....pist....

what does that mean?

--j

ImageImage
MiBasse

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2006 - 08:50 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
ok i keep seeing this word around....pist....

what does that mean?

--j

Slope
heinz

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2006 - 09:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm no snowboarder, prefer skis myself, but if you're visiting Scandinavia, Hemsedal skiresort in Norway has one of the largest funparks in Europe (actually 2 funparks - blue and red/black. Norway as you probably know is quite expensive, but the housing has high standards and is usually right by the "løjpe" (slope). More about Hemsedal.

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2006 - 09:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Out of Scandinavian resorts, I also recommend Norway. Finnish slopes are way small by any standards.

If you wish for a cheap holiday, though, stay as far from Norway (well, all of Scandinavia) as possible. Wink Slovenia would sound good in that sense.

On the other hand, a holiday in Scandinavia would make you appreciate the insanely cheap cost of living in where you are coming from.

Jump to: