29 coaches online • Server time: 09:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Nighteye

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2006 - 07:59 Reply with quote Back to top

hehe. i see im not the only one that takes low G whenever i customize. The generator u get later on makes up for it. Creative is a must though i have found it interesting to play without it lately. Makes for a whole different game, when u cant rely on getting all tech.
Zlefin

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2006 - 08:15 Reply with quote Back to top

i've been using
http://www.abandonia.com/index2.php
Zlefin Smile
colonization is fun.
Faulcon

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2006 - 08:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Colonization is sadly limited in the number of units available (as in a numeric limit, not types of units). Aside from that it was a decent game though not a standout.

MOO2 was a pale sequel to MOO1, a fleet of 10 offensively setup doomstars attacking a planet could annihilate any fleet and planetary defenses before the defenders got to make a single move, add the planetary micromanagement and limited buildings you could construct and the game balance was shot. It never made sense to me that a ship could pack dozens of these stellar converters but a planet could only find room for one. 6 Frigates were in absolutely no way equal to one doomstar except in the upkeep per turn. Oh, and with your creative race also take subterranean for the extra population on every planet.

Now MOO1 combat was quite brilliant. Build thousands of little ships and that deathray you got shot with can only destroy one each turn even if it did enough damage for 50. However a blackhole generator or one of those impulse wave things could wipe out the majority of your fleet in a single blow. If a planet was in a vulnerable position you weren't limited to 1 missile base, 1 laser base, and 1 stellar converter, you could build as many damn missile bases as you wanted to pay for and really give those invaders a good kicking. Then there was the biological warfare which could mean a ghost planet even if you destroyed all the enemies. So many different ways to win the battle...
DaemonicLazoth

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2006 - 08:58 Reply with quote Back to top

ive got all three around the same time they were released or soon after although i had to really scrounge around for moo1 when i went to play it again recently it being on floppies and all now to find the manuel for those damn ships pics

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2006 - 09:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I bought both of those used, but only really played MoO2 when it was released. Now I'm starting to think I should give the original a try.
Nighteye

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2006 - 13:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Faulcon wrote:
Colonization is sadly limited in the number of units available (as in a numeric limit, not types of units). Aside from that it was a decent game though not a standout.

MOO2 was a pale sequel to MOO1, a fleet of 10 offensively setup doomstars attacking a planet could annihilate any fleet and planetary defenses before the defenders got to make a single move, add the planetary micromanagement and limited buildings you could construct and the game balance was shot. It never made sense to me that a ship could pack dozens of these stellar converters but a planet could only find room for one. 6 Frigates were in absolutely no way equal to one doomstar except in the upkeep per turn. Oh, and with your creative race also take subterranean for the extra population on every planet.

Now MOO1 combat was quite brilliant. Build thousands of little ships and that deathray you got shot with can only destroy one each turn even if it did enough damage for 50. However a blackhole generator or one of those impulse wave things could wipe out the majority of your fleet in a single blow. If a planet was in a vulnerable position you weren't limited to 1 missile base, 1 laser base, and 1 stellar converter, you could build as many damn missile bases as you wanted to pay for and really give those invaders a good kicking. Then there was the biological warfare which could mean a ghost planet even if you destroyed all the enemies. So many different ways to win the battle...

It is two very different games, no doubt about that, but it all comes down to taste. I am rather fond of micromanagement, i always found moo1 too milited in that sense. And try playing moo2 on harder settings, and it stops being so easy to wipe out the enemy anymore with 2 Doomstars. Then they have 20 of their own. Also i really enjoyed the improved graphics in moo2m, just perfect Smile

Now Moo3, Meh, dont get me started. How did they manage to turn such a huge game into something so linear.
coffindodger

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2006 - 14:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Moo3 - far too much automation. Didn't get a look in after only a few hours playing it...
Nature_Warden

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2006 - 21:45 Reply with quote Back to top

The only real flaw in Moo 2 is the unstoppable Time-Warping Doomstar that is never seen but destroys all! Only counterable by a better equipped ship with Phasing cloak but no Time-Warp... still, sweet game up until then... and 2 missile bases would be sick! I've managed to defend planets successfully with one against a decent fleet with a Flux Shield... It's just a matter of upgrading your missiles! .and choosing were to send the volleys properly... so much tactics in the battles!
Mezir

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2006 - 00:25 Reply with quote Back to top

MoO discussions, fine, but abandonware is of questionable legality, let alone warez, so let's not go there on this forum.