76 coaches online • Server time: 23:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2006 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

After a bit of prodding by squig Im sorely tempted to do part time music teaching, but i dont have an ALevel in it, just an A at GCSE! I wanted to do it for ALevel but peer pressure from parents and workmates made me do 3 sciences.... yuck! Needless to say I went to uni to do Chemistry, dropped, then Genetics, dropped out again, just about to finish a Foundation Degree/HND in computing back at home, but kind of fed up doing programming! Ive always loved music, im above Grade 8 standard in playing ability, forgotten all my theory... would i need to retake it?

Just wondering what qualifications id need to do private tutoring, what the going rate is
Macavity

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2006 - 17:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Over here, you start small with kids of folk you know and stuff, then let your reputation grow. $10 a lesson.

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2006 - 18:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Seriously? $10 is just over minimum wage here Smile yeah its better to start off small, but what haappens when my underlings get good enough to do exams? Laughing any private music tutors here?
MiBasse

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2006 - 18:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I've had a few music teachers over time. I'd say the better you are and more well ronded the easier it will be to hold on to students as they improve. The more you know the more you'll be able to teach them and thus garner a better reputation - depending on the instrument you teach in your required level of theory should vary; if you teach piano a broad knowledge is required; if you teach guitar know your chords; if you teach a horn know your instrument's key compared to the C in and out.

Here our teachers are usually employed by public institutions and most of the teachers I've had have been conservatory educated but on low levels that's hardly required - nor on higher ones as long as you know your stuff. That's for instrumental teaching - if you want to teach theory you'll definitley need to know as much as humanly possible.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2006 - 18:14 Reply with quote Back to top

My ex was a private music teacher. I edited, the $10 is a lesson, not an hour, so $20 an hour.. mind you, that was when I was WITH my ex.... I dunno, I guess it's way more now.

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2006 - 18:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Rob, glad you're considering this! If you're grade 8+ you should have the know how to teach. However I'd say if you've forgotten your theory, I'd racap! Redfish is correct, my guitar teacher taught theory that was relevant to guitar, he's a very well known locally and he charges about £18 an hour and thats relatively cheap. Oh, and he taught me contemporary guitar, with a blend of everything else I wanted to dabble in.

As for the more 'classically' orientated instruments, I'd say you'd have to be pretty sharp on the theory. I think most music teachers around our way have music degrees etc...

SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2006 - 18:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, Id be focussing on Brass. there are lots of Brass bands in my county (population of 55000) and there are roughly 10-12 brass bands, so new talent isnt so hard to find! Im thinking of redoing Grade 5 theory, but would really need to swot up, I quite fancy redoing my Grade 8 and getting a disctinction, but the thing that lets me down is dyslexia and sight reading, takes me a few more seconds to work out whats going on than your average joe, and since my voice broke (years ago) i cant sing for toffee!

Now once students get closer to exams i would have no clue how to send them for it... I know you can go for a diploma after you do your Grade 8 perhaps that lets you teach professionally at home?
thesquig

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2006 - 18:40 Reply with quote Back to top

In order to get into the school system you need more than a grade8 I presume, Im not sure what you would need though, you'd have to look into it.

I bet you sing like an angel, after a few guinness Wink

As for teaching at home, as long as you can get people to come to you and gain a decent reputation etc I cant see you needing any qualifications. Its just getting there in the first place which is the difficult part Razz

Just as a disclaimer, Im not sure of all this, but this is what I would expect (all knowing Squig? damn right!)

soerenkepler

Post 1 Posted: Apr 01, 2006 - 19:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Man it really depends on what "circuit" you are aiming at... but generally..

The music business works on recommendation. Period. Doesnt matter if its government or privat jobs you apply for.

I´m a pro musician with the highest level of education you can get in my country. Our rate is close to $50 an hour, but if you are teaching privately you can get more than that.

Thing is -

People dont really care about diplomas. They wanna be inspired by your teaching - not where you came from... so if you are good and people like you, thus keep coming back - you can raise your fee as demand rises... my best advice would be to start building a reputation as a solid musician and great teacher. That is gonna take some time tho...

Best of luck
 Jump to: