57 coaches online • Server time: 11:33
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Can you do anything about getting Blitz!-ed?
Nope: it just means that Nuffle has decided my opponent should score
18%
 18%  [ 36 ]
There are precautions, but it hurts my preferred approach to offence too much to use them
31%
 31%  [ 62 ]
I always expect a Blitz! ... But that doesn't seem to help ...
17%
 17%  [ 34 ]
When my opponent rolls a Blitz!, it often only makes it easier for me to score!
32%
 32%  [ 64 ]
Total Votes : 196

vanGorn

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2006 - 22:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I always take into account the possibility of blitz and perfect defense. So I prefer a symmetric setup to keep no weaker flank.

Thomcat

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2006 - 22:11 Reply with quote Back to top

It depends heavely on where the opponent have placed the kick (and the kick skills helps him a lot in that) . If the kick is so far back on my field that opponent players cannot reach it - it will often helt me to score easier. If he gets the ball (heavely guarding it) it makes everything much much harder

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2006 - 12:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Symetrical defences are in vogue locally in RL, with minor variations depending on skills / +ma for some of the players.

Personally i go for a rather simple 2 lines of 5 with the wings 1 or 2 sqares back from the LOS and a safety in the backfield. Usually leaves the safety plus at least one other guy in reach of anyone busting through on a blitz while not limiting the offence too much.

BFN

Paul
LordSnotball

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 13:58 Reply with quote Back to top

personally i rotate between a symmetric and asymmetric defence... threatening 1 flank with a 2 turner forces your oponent to defend the flank, and if you carefully spread the remaining 2-3 linemen around, u often find that the lineman on the other side of the pitch is the one who does the scoring. If the worst comes to the worst, your opponent sees the threat, and sends 2 players to tie down my lonely lineman, making breaking through the defence far much easier...

and i have seen players smash my LOS with a blitz, and then reform the original defence, making it almost impossible to break through... leap has changed that recently though Smile

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 14:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I violently hate blitz! , but then again this goes for many of the bigger events form the kick-off table (Get the Ref, Pitch invasion).

I get bloody annoyed when rolls on the kick-off table make me lose a match without me being able to do anything about it. True, against many races there is still a possibility to regain the ball, and some are even too slow to make an effective moe for the ball. The thing is, I always get hit with blitzes when playing against rats and woodies Mad .

My hatred for blitz is so bad, that I can't even be happy about getting it in my advantage..........

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 14:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I remember a game against a skaven team with two one-turners that got 3 blitzes against my elves. Not alot could be done, and I got thrashed. My last game against skaven, they got blitz and the ball was right by the sidelines, the put the ball in a cage and surrounded it with players, only for the gutter to drop the ball, it scattered off the rat ogres out of bounds and was throw in to the other side of the pitch which was deviod of skaven. It was just a case of gathering the ball and keeping it safe while I battered all the tightly packed rats off the field.
Jaelum

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 20:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy, I feel exactly the same way. This game is d6 based, which means it's pretty darn luck dependant already. Throw in some violent, severe effects to some of those random aspects (like the kick-off table), and begins to feel like you have only a tentative effect on the outcome of the game.

Which means that some times I can win and not feel like I really earned or deserved it, which robs me of the enjoyment. And, of course, loosing because your final defensive stand to preserve a tie begins with all but 4 of your guys stunned on the field doesn't make me jolly, either.

It discouraged me alot when I first started playing. However, I've begun the attitude shift from approaching it seriously to a perverse enjoyment of the chaotic nature of the play. I'll never enjoy misclicking or destroying other teams (unless it's a league specifically designed for it), but I've found I can enjoy using a tactical approach to minimizing and directing the madness that is Blood Bowl.
LordSnotball

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 23:41 Reply with quote Back to top

if u want to think about luck and kick off, maybe you should have played 3rd ed BB. there was a random event card, in which a stray dog would grab the ball and run off a bit before dropping it again. was hilarious to see 4 players adding TZ to the ball, and then u brought in a stray dog card, leaving the ball near your own players...

compared to that (tho rare), blitz is far easier to tackle (i think)

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
FischerKing

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 23:51 Reply with quote Back to top

When Im able to lineup 11 players I setup for blitz unless Im trying to do a oneturning TD by pushing players.
tadgoraucymru

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2006 - 00:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm no great shakes at this game but I always have 3 in the backfield (injuries permiting), not to stop the blitz but to maximise my chances of pick up, hand off, pass in the first turn.

I've only conceded blitz TD's when I've been down to 9 players or less.
Pingo

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2006 - 13:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

really?
MiBasse

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2006 - 13:43 Reply with quote Back to top

tadgoraucymru wrote:
I'm no great shakes at this game but I always have 3 in the backfield (injuries permiting), not to stop the blitz but to maximise my chances of pick up, hand off, pass in the first turn.

So you've never, ever had an opponent score on you on a drive where he got Blitz! ? That would be rather impressive...
bdsmbabe

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2006 - 14:11 Reply with quote Back to top

it makes absolutely no difference to me, as this slave never changes her set up.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2006 - 14:24 Reply with quote Back to top

you forgot a poll option like... i always expect a blitz and can mostly prevent the impact....
...to say it would make it easier to score for me would go a little far
ex-convict

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2006 - 14:28 Reply with quote Back to top

although blitz seems to come up more often than some other results, the goal of offense is to score, not to play defense (unless we're talking about caging for 8 turns, but thats another story) As such, I usualy devote 1-2 players to try and stop any blitz results by placing them on the opposite flank that i'm generaly heading to. Other than that, I just pray to nuffle that they'll over-pursue, that I'm able to still recover the ball, and able to get it to my hopefuly now less defended guys and proceed down pitch while my opponent still has 3-4 players in my back-field. But that usualy fails with my poor luck with my darkies..

Don't drop the soap.
 Jump to: