29 coaches online • Server time: 10:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Can you do anything about getting Blitz!-ed?
Nope: it just means that Nuffle has decided my opponent should score
18%
 18%  [ 36 ]
There are precautions, but it hurts my preferred approach to offence too much to use them
31%
 31%  [ 62 ]
I always expect a Blitz! ... But that doesn't seem to help ...
17%
 17%  [ 34 ]
When my opponent rolls a Blitz!, it often only makes it easier for me to score!
32%
 32%  [ 64 ]
Total Votes : 196

Voorn

Post   Posted: Jun 05, 2006 - 19:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Nada wrong with blitz, it can just as easily be rolled for one coach as the other not to mention being easily prevented with a good set-up so is perfectly fair.
Sometimes, I set up with it in mind while others I totally ignore the possibility. Yes, I often get burned by it, other times, my opponant does but hey, its a game so not very important whether you win or lose..

Immitated in chat by another member "S**n"
MiBasse

Post   Posted: Jun 05, 2006 - 20:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Voorn wrote:
Nada wrong with blitz, it can just as easily be rolled for one coach as the other not to mention being easily prevented with a good set-up so is perfectly fair.
Sometimes, I set up with it in mind while others I totally ignore the possibility. Yes, I often get burned by it, other times, my opponant does but hey, its a game so not very important whether you win or lose..

Yes both teams can get it but really - elves getting Blitz! and Dwarves or other slow teams getting Blitz! is hardly the same (and no - there is no perfect setup against a Blitz! that is anywhere near foolproof). Blitz! is just as mindnumbingly boring as Get the Ref, and while winning isn't everything it's certainly the goal of the game when I sit down for any match - if I wanted a purely socializing event I'd hang out with some mates or go to a party. I'm a comptetive person and while I don't mind if I don't win I'll freely admit that the fact that I can win is the reason I play BB.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Jun 05, 2006 - 20:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Blitz has already been watered down...don't see a reason to do so further.

I generally find perfect defense more troublesome than blitz nowadays.

Post   Posted: Jun 05, 2006 - 20:20 Reply with quote Back to top

RedFish wrote:
Voorn wrote:

Yes both teams can get it but really - elves getting Blitz! and Dwarves or other slow teams getting Blitz! is hardly the same (and no - there is no perfect setup against a Blitz! that is anywhere near foolproof). Blitz! is just as mindnumbingly boring as Get the Ref, and while winning isn't everything it's certainly the goal of the game when I sit down for any match - if I wanted a purely socializing event I'd hang out with some mates or go to a party. I'm a comptetive person and while I don't mind if I don't win I'll freely admit that the fact that I can win is the reason I play BB.

There is no "perfect setup" for ANYTHING,wherther it be blitz, offence defence ect ect. It all boils down to the player and how good they are in relation to thier opponant.
True, elves getting blitz can be annoying, but then again, it can be just as annoying when it is dwarves to use your example. A load of gaurd players lined up next to or behind your great front line or around the spot where the ball lands can be a headache. You might say dwarves cant reach as far back into the backfield as elves, but then again, dwarves dont kick that far into backfield, they will kick short where they can still reach it.
It is fine as it is.

Immitated in chat by another member "S**n"
pac

Post   Posted: Jun 05, 2006 - 20:43 Reply with quote Back to top

RedFish wrote:
Blitz! is just as mindnumbingly boring as Get the Ref ...

If Blitz! (and Perfect Defence) didn't exist, the game <i>really would</i> be boring. Kick-off rolls left out, the game just stacks the advantages in front of the offensive team: set up second, move first, get three free blocks, get given the ball - how much more do you want?

Just the possibility of a kick-off roll for the defence forces coaches to either set up more conservatively or risk being embarrassed. If they didn't exist, you would have to re-invent them or be left with just an 'I score-you score' game. Sad

Splitting off from the original topic a little, an interesting BB variant might be if the order of play was something like this:

A. Kicking team sets up
B. Receiving team sets up
C. <i>Kicking team</i> takes the first turn

So the team which kicked would get to go first (and chase down the ball).

A team which was scored against would become the kicking team for the next drive.

Of course, this system would probably favour the faster teams - and the Kick skill would be an absolute and undoubted essential for everyone - but I think it could be very interesting.

Post   Posted: Jun 05, 2006 - 21:50 Reply with quote Back to top

If the game were ran like that I'd play all Wood Elves and only Woode Elves since my Wardancers would become unstoppable scoring machines...
pac

Post   Posted: Jun 05, 2006 - 21:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Nature_Warden wrote:
If the game were ran like that I'd play all Wood Elves and only Woode Elves since my Wardancers would become unstoppable scoring machines...

Naturally such a fundamental change would require a complete redesign of the entire game, rosters included. But it would give rise to more interesting phases of play, in my opinion. Blood Bowl is at it's most fun for me when play breaks down, and everyone is scrambling desperately for the ball - with this ordering of play, it would be like that from the moment of almost every kick-off. Very Happy
coffindodger

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2006 - 11:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Nature_Warden wrote:

And they aren't already? lol

Smile

BFN

Paul
 Jump to: