37 coaches online • Server time: 08:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Secret League Old Wo...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
gronan

Post 5 Posted: Apr 06, 2006 - 13:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello all

I was thinking about the best defensive setup in LoS with your 3 worst players...

I think this is one of the best ...

XXXX|OXXOXXO|XXXX

The attacker has to setup two strength 3 players on each defensive player to have 2 dice blocks.

What do you think about?
DonTomaso

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2006 - 13:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Yep, thats what I do vs elves anyway... but the more experienced player will only block one, and run past in that gap...

Need to have one or two guys behind your LOS too... Smile

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2006 - 13:29 Reply with quote Back to top

That is my main LoS deployement as well. And not only vs elves...

vs bashers, it has a triple function:

1) It covers more field than the XXOOOXX, and it makes more difficult for the opponent to have an open field where he can cage. And in my experience it takes 4 to 6 blocks to have the whole LoS prone... So it is likely that at least one of your players is still standing, and field coverage will be good.

2) The setup you suggest is good to avoid Big Guy multipleblocks. I know that almost all Big Guys are on LoS at the start... and if you put your players side to side it'll be easy for the opponent to get a 2d multipleblock after his movements for the ball or on the sides.

3) the more spread the LoS is, the less assists your opponent will get to foul in the first turn.

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2006 - 13:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Putting them together is nearly always much better. Means less blocks on you and less chance someone goes out.
pac

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2006 - 13:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I tend to put all three together in the centre, as I tend to run fast teams who like to pressure the opposition's backfield. Most opposition will find it difficult to put enough on the LoS to bring down these players, <i>and</i> cover both flanks with decent players as well (not to mention the player(s)) they need to collect and move the ball).

Both systems have their merit though: the important thing is that the rest of your set-up and defensive game-plan fit in with however you decide to do it.

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2006 - 14:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I use the XXOOOXX with teams with a big guy to anchor the defense around.
And use the OXXOXXO with teams without a big guy.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2006 - 14:12 Reply with quote Back to top

agrees with Webbe and also with pac. this setup is actually the WORST vs elf pass game unless you set 3 SF mummys or something like that. Because=>

C
C L L C . L C
----------------
X . . X . . X

with 2 pushs results I have

C
C . . C . L C
----------------
L . L . . X
X X

free entry for 3 catchers in the middle of your offense where I can run deep, set one left side, one right side, one full center. you probably covered wings anyway leaving you up with 4 guys for the center. Nothing difficult to pass trough...

Does I imply that 3 guys next to one another is that much easier to defend? Nope but at least you minimize the number of blocks on them.

But in your exemple you didn't block a lot (you could answer)! well yes but I showed why the fact it covers more field space wasn't a valid argument.

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2006 - 14:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I place 6 guys in the center so you can't get through there that easily.
ex-convict

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2006 - 14:35 Reply with quote Back to top

it depends what race, but simply placing every person on the line can be effective at low TRs, but once your opponent has a guard or two, a hole can open up and you may find yourself near powerless to react...o and if you do that, watch out for frenzy Wink

With my 200 TR lizardmen, I use a OOOS|SOSKSOS|SOOO S=saurus O=space K=kroxigor
So I have those 7 players on the LoS (our league is mostly bashy), and 4 skinks in the back (all with sidestep), 2 being deep and 2 playing closer for any backfield mishaps with the ball. Opponents will have a hard time just busting through the center, while if they go around, I have a BT saurus on either end of the line to get to the other side quickly. Works like magic Wink

Don't drop the soap.
coffindodger

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2006 - 17:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I usually go for the 3 players on the LOS spread out - to prevent multiblock and also 1 guard guy assisting 2 different blocks (frees up another opponent to go elsewhere...). Cover the wings with TZ via 1 player each side and 1 or 2 squares back. Repeat the formation 2 squares back all across the board - unless facing a St3 frenzy player, when i try to guess where he'll go and put an available Guard guy only 1 square back (so 2d could become -2d if i'm lucky). It works for me against most teams and allows re-organisation with minimal difficulty

BFN

Paul
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2006 - 17:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Assuming you and your opponent only have ST3 guys (for easier reference):

If you put your men like this: XXOOOXX
Your opponent needs one guard in the middle and two normal players to have three 2d blocks.

If you put your men like this: XOXOXOX
Your opponent needs four players (two guards) to have three 2d blocks.

If you put your men like this: OXXOXXO
Your opponent needs six players to have three 2d blocks.

LoS players are supposed to be hit. They are there just to waste valuable opponent players and limitate their moves toward your end zone. So I don't care much if my three linos are hit and proned (or worse) on LoS. Every round they live there is a valuable one.
Imho the more opponent players they tie up, the better. This is why I definitely like setup number three on defence. The rest of my team is lying far deeper in my backfield, so no worries about opening a hole in my LoS... that's supposed to happen anyway, sooner or later.

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2006 - 17:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Totally agreed with JanMattys, thats the way that the opponent has to setup more players to have dice supremacy. (always talking of players with equal strengths).

Just have a look at the topic tittle... Rolling Eyes
Webbe

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2006 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
LoS players are supposed to be hit. They are there just to waste valuable opponent players and limitate their moves toward your end zone. So I don't care much if my three linos are hit and proned (or worse) on LoS. Every round they live there is a valuable one.
Imho the more opponent players they tie up, the better. This is why I definitely like setup number three on defence. The rest of my team is lying far deeper in my backfield, so no worries about opening a hole in my LoS... that's supposed to happen anyway, sooner or later.

This is newbie thinking in my book, they doesn't tie up anyone. Players that assist doesn't use their action for that. Rolling Eyes

I nearly always setup 7-9 players on LOS on offense no matter the defensive set up.
If I'm the bashier team I'm always happy if the defense spread out as I probably will get 4 of the opponents players down and from there dominate the whole half. If I'm out for a 2turn td I'm also very happy if the LOS players are spread out as it means they need more players in the middle behind the LOS and therefore got less players on the sides and I will do a much easier TD.
Borgen

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2006 - 20:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Agree with Webbe, you are not tying up the assisters at all by spreading your guys around. And if you put a big guy one square behind your 3 LOS guys in the middle you can prevent followups which also helps swing momentum back in your favor.

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2006 - 20:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I personally use XXOOOXX 80% of the time, because i use the 3-4-4-open defensive setup. With this setup, if the opponent want to get in my zone the first turn, he will have to get those 3 guys down, or else face multiple tackle zones. If only 1 block fails to get a LoS guy prone, the opponent will need his blitz to open the way, saving the other 8 guys. Using another setup on the LoS grants the opponent possible pushbacks along the LoS, that he can use to take the LoS down if his setup was proper. with the 3 stuck together in the middle, it lowers this possibility.
 Jump to: