19 coaches online • Server time: 06:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Fumbbl on a Steamdec...goto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post Roster Stats - Snotl...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Greatest British Rock Band
Queen
36%
 36%  [ 35 ]
Zepplin
21%
 21%  [ 20 ]
The Who
8%
 8%  [ 8 ]
Pink Floyd
22%
 22%  [ 21 ]
All Brisitsh music sucks , bive me some ABBA
8%
 8%  [ 8 ]
Music is the food of the soul and I am deaf, full
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 95

Jazz

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 10:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Mhhh.... guess we are comparing bands with a hugely different music style here. Like others have already mentioned: what is rock? There are quite some different kinds: symphonic rock, glitter rock, hard rock, metal, speed metal, death metal, pop rock, and many more.

So I guess we could only comment on personal taste here, or try to pose a less subjective question, like: "which band do you think had the greatest impact on the history of music?"

Besides that, I am more of a fan of some particular songs, iso of fan of a band. Each band drops the ball on occasion. (For instance, Breakthrough, from Queen? <shudder>) So, I guess I really can't answer your question. Very Happy

Greetz,
Jazz
Gary_Gygax

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 10:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Too many good British rock bands to select just one, but Genesis did something special in the 70s.
koadah

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 10:34 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
Queen of course.

And Koadah, what is rock then?

Don't know mate. I'm not a rock fan.

Back in the days that that I did try to get in to it and listened to rock stations the only thing by Queen that would be played was Bohemian Rhapsody.

I can understand some people listing Bohemian Rhapsody as the greatest ever track but what else did they do to be rated Greatest ever band?

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 10:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, they did use several electronic sound manipulation techniques first. (Layering of several voices, creating a multi-voice chorus, being one of them, I believe.) So, yes, they certainly have been innovative in areas.

Jazz
Wizard

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 10:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Public Image Ltd / Sex Pistols
But there punk and not rock i suppose...

BTW - The Streets are the best thing out of the UK atm

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 10:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Jazz wrote:
Well, they did use several electronic sound manipulation techniques first. (Layering of several voices, creating a multi-voice chorus, being one of them, I believe.) So, yes, they certainly have been innovative in areas.
Jazz

So was Jethro Tull, bringing the flute into the rock music Smile

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 11:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull is an incredibly intelligent arranger of his music - you'll find few people in the music business who has combined talent and proffessionalism as well as he has.
pluto670

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 11:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Brown Rob I apologise, how could I have forgotten one of the big 3 bands Stones def should have been in the poll, but I would argue that they are not so popular with today’s younger generation at least not to the extent of big bands of their time? (Perhaps its the £200 a time gigs) lol

I think the definition of Rock that I had in mind was a very generic wide reaching one, I mean in truth Floyd are Progressive Rock and The Beatles are hardly head banging but then not all rock has to be.

My own personal favourite is the Floyd with such an album as Dark side of the moon, I mean which other bands can say they have an album that concludes with an uplifting and exhilarating piece on the ultimate pointlessness of life. lol

One slight thing in regards to BrownRobs mention of Jeff Buckley, I only recently found out that he didn’t write Hallelujah, it was in fact Leonard Cohen who I checked out and did a much better version.
Hammerheim: Thanks I will check it out

and Don Tomaso NOOOOOOOO (i cant beleive that they are even considering getting back together in the long term) somone send a few minos after them

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 11:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Back in the days that that I did try to get in to it and listened to rock stations the only thing by Queen that would be played was Bohemian Rhapsody.

I can understand some people listing Bohemian Rhapsody as the greatest ever track but what else did they do to be rated Greatest ever band?

Uhmm. I can remember some greatest hits from Queen: We will rock you or We are the champions, the sound track of "The Inmortals", and a lot of good songs like, Under Pressure (with David Bowie), Radio Ga-Ga, The Miracle, I Want to Break Free... and much more. (I´m a real fan of Queen).
pluto670

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 11:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Your right all of u i failed in coming up with the right name
Consider the name of it officially changed to peoples favourite bands

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 12:07 Reply with quote Back to top

To give a compliment to british rock bands: If we would talk about the best rockbands worldwide I would not mention any other then Zeppelin, Purple and Maiden here;-)
pluto670

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 12:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Many of you big fans for Zepplin i see but what in your view sets them apart from the Who , i mean they both have massive epic rock tracks( The Who; baba oreilly and wont get fooled again. Zepplin; Stairway to heaven), ledgendary albums( too many to name I'm sure for both bands) , but to me the who also have the shorter more catchy and accesable tracks , My Generation, Substitute and Cant explain to name a few. do Zepplin have anything similar

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 12:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I am happy as long as no one mention Oasis.
Melmoth

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 12:31 Reply with quote Back to top

pluto670 wrote:
Many of you big fans for Zepplin i see but what in your view sets them apart from the Who , i mean they both have massive epic rock tracks( The Who; baba oreilly and wont get fooled again. Zepplin; Stairway to heaven), ledgendary albums( too many to name I'm sure for both bands) , but to me the who also have the shorter more catchy and accesable tracks , My Generation, Substitute and Cant explain to name a few. do Zepplin have anything similar

More catchy Tracks: Whole lotta love, Rock´n´Roll, communication breakdown etc.
But for me its more the experimental things like The Ocean, Kashmir, Achilles and of course No Quarter etc) that makes them special. Ever watched the Music Film "The song remains the same"? Never saw a rock Band play like this;-)
Emphasy

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 12:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Kashmir

?? they are danish, arent they?
 Jump to: