44 coaches online • Server time: 01:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What skill should my dark linelf take (doubles)?
Guard
88%
 88%  [ 15 ]
Jump up
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Nerves of Steel
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Dauntless
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other (and explain why)
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 17

Oblitzamanger

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2006 - 18:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi guys. Yup, this is another skill choice thread. So many of them lately.

Black Temple Guard: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=252152

So, I just got doubles on a linelf and I was wondering what to take. Dauntless may be good, but I won't be playing any teams with St 4 players soon. Jump up is neat and so is Guard. Nerves of Steel was an afterthought, but it may be useful for a reciever or passing the ball in a TZ filled area. I'm not looking for Frenzy, but if you can convince me, then so be it.

In addition, I now have 80k. Not enough for a positional that I desperately need. What do I do with the money?

That means you.
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2006 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Its almost the same question here.

Edit: Save the money and buy a blitzer, after that get a 4th RR and another blitzer. Ofcourse, if someone dies, a lino might be needed.

Last edited by Woodstock on %b %15, %2006 - %19:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
Macavity

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2006 - 19:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know about that thread, Woodstock. In this case I'd go for guard....

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2006 - 19:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Not Jump Up? I think it is a really useful skill. Please explain why Guard is better than Jump Up. It would be a lot more annoying on defense if there was a player that could always move 6 squares to pressure the ball or important players. Guard is good for offense when using a cage, and on defense, but it requires really good positioning to be effective.

Oh, and whoever chose other, please explain the other skill.

That means you.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2006 - 19:15 Reply with quote Back to top

um... Dark elves already have Jump Up?

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2006 - 19:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Ahhh. But I don't have a Witch Elf yet. Guard makes sense in the long run. And by the way, thanks Woodstock for the team development advice. Just a question, why should I get a second Blitzer before a Witch Elf if I'm not going to take Jump up now?

That means you.
Oblitzamanger

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2006 - 19:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay. I'm going to take guard. But please continue to give advice on how the team should be built with the money I get in the future.

That means you.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2006 - 19:23 Reply with quote Back to top

JU is also useless on it's own (relatively). Your guard just has to stand up to participate anyway, most times a lino (especially an elf), is on the ground, there is someone right on top of them, dodging is all fine and good, but that extra movement doesn't change what happens at the end of the move.

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2006 - 19:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Jump Up is nice, but guard is the most valuable skill you can ever get on a normal double! Smile

And its better to get a 2nd blitzer first, because WE start without block and av7. They tend to be unreliable with frenzy and no skills. If you get some skills on your lino's and blitzers first, its easier to skill up the witches, and it is better for your overall team development.

Thats my thought on it...
pluto670

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2006 - 19:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorr i was the Other , just gonna say that since your team is lacking any positionals and u currently dont have the money, perhaps it would be an idea to take a more postional orientated skill to try to hold the gap until u can afford a possitional, just an idea

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2006 - 19:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks agian Woodstock. When my team gets more money, this is what I'll do: 1) buy blitzer, 2)buy fourth re-roll, 3) buy another blitzer, 4) retire niggler, 5) buy passer or Witch elf [depending on the amount of money I have and the number of players]

Thanks! (This is the ideal set up. If someone dies, then it would have to be shuffled.)

That means you.
pac

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2006 - 19:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Oblitzamanger wrote:
Not Jump Up? I think it is a really useful skill. Please explain why Guard is better than Jump Up.

Along with all the other usual reasons, Guard is a skill which you can plan to use. Some teams' entire strategies revolve around the planning of the positioning of Guards (yes, I'm thinking of Dwarves here). Jump Up is a skill whose use just kind of happens: sometimes it comes in very useful, sometimes it never comes into play at all. As a general rule, it's better to pick skills whose use you can deliberately plan for than those that depend on chance to be of use.

Edit: Also, I am of the minority party which recommends getting a first Witch Elf sooner rather than later. The very presence of Frenzy (even if it isn't used much) on your team forces good coaches to alter their set-ups, and causes poor coaches to give you crowdpushing opportunities. Throughout the game, while the witch is still in play, your opponent should be forced to move more cautiously near the side-lines.

If you <i>do</i> buy a witch early, keep her out of trouble as much as possible - I tend to use mine as full backs (even when on offence), who only get involved to take crowdpush opportunities and clear up trouble, then getting more involved in the rest of the play as they skill up. Don't leave her adjacent to opponents if possible, and don't let her get surrounded by opponents!

Last edited by pac on %b %15, %2006 - %19:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2006 - 19:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I would wait some longer with buying a thrower, but that is just how you like to play it.

A thrower is nice, but it gets a lot of SPP. In the early game (TR below 170) you can play without a thrower, as every player you got, haves ag4. So he can throw a pass without too much problems. This way your lino's and blitzers can skill up a little quicker.

Ofcourse, a well skilled thrower can win matches for you =).
 Jump to: