44 coaches online • Server time: 13:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Getting diced 3 game...goto Post 7s for fummbl?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Blackcrag

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2006 - 15:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Let it be known that Danish is a truly inferior language to most major languages when it comes to synonyms and precise terms Crying or Very sad One Danish word seems to be unique though and without equivalent in any other language: "Bagstiv" Sprouted by aeons of Danish consumption of intoxicating beverages this word is roughly defined as follows:

"Bagstiv: Danish for waking up the day after a drinking trip and still being drunk" Shocked

So bagstiv doesn't equal hangovers - it's not the equivalent of Swedish "Bagfuld"... Instead it's linked to this dodgy state of being before hangovers kick in but yet after having been sleeping for several hours - an amazing time of your life when the silliest conversations occur and the weirdest ideas tend to pop up... (Who knows if Bloodbowl was born in such a moment?) Very Happy

So far i have been asking ppl from several nationalities (American, British, Belgian, Swedish, Peruvian, Spanish, Jordanian, Palestinian, German) and no one has been able to come up with a similar word... Question

Are Danes the only people in need of such a word? Shocked
Or does a similar word exist in another language that i don't know of? Very Happy Enlighten me!
Plorg

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2006 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I am familiar with this bagstiv feeling,
but I wouldn't call it an amazing time of my life.
Emphasy

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2006 - 15:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Ohhh yeah!!

Have i ever felt that way! every single saturday and sunday morning! Bam im bagstiv:)

p.s. You can be bagstiv from medication also... so i learned..Smile
mymLaban

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2006 - 16:30 Reply with quote Back to top

"Hygge" is allso said to be a strickly danish term though some other countrys does come close.

it would mean something like: cosiness; cosy atmosphere; pleasant atmosphere, but its just not exactly the same.

Edit: BTW 1 more day till i have internet in my new home !!!!! whee i know you all must have missed me
DonTomaso

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2006 - 17:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I'm happy for you danes to put your name on the map for 'Bagstiv'... truly the spirit of the danish ppl comes through in that word.. Wink

And, being a swede myself, I'll have to settle for Lagom, Smorgosbord and Ombudsman.... all swedish words from the beginning, and not nearly as fun as Bagstiv...

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2006 - 20:06 Reply with quote Back to top

well we might be the nr 1 on all the bad list smoking and alkohol use and all that, but lets not forget all the swedes that comes over and buy beer here they go straight to our list!!!!
DonTomaso

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2006 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Denmark is out nowadays for beer and booze (except for the teenagers).
Nowadays Denmark is just on the way to bordershop in germany...

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2006 - 20:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, I don't think there is such a word in Finnish, but I haven't experienced that feeling either so I can't be sure Smile

Anyway, there's a word in some african language, which is in the Guinnes World Record book for being the most concise word in the world. Can't remember what word it was, but it mean something like "two people looking at eachother hoping the other guy would do the thing neither of them wants to do". Heh, I think there isn't a word for that in other languages.

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2006 - 20:50 Reply with quote Back to top

DonTomaso wrote:
Denmark is out nowadays for beer and booze (except for the teenagers).
Nowadays Denmark is just on the way to bordershop in germany...

Really? i doubt that. but who knows its nice the youngsters are still leading :0)
Karhumies

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2006 - 21:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Fama wrote:
Hmm, I don't think there is such a word in Finnish, but I haven't experienced that feeling either so I can't be sure Smile

"Laskuhumala" comes close but for that, it doesn't have to be morning. Rough translation of that word would be "downfall", the state when alcohol amount in circulation is no longer increasing but decreasing and which often leads to depression or anger.

mymLaban

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2006 - 21:19 Reply with quote Back to top

or more drinking
Thomcat

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2006 - 21:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Blackcrag wrote:
Let it be known that Danish is a truly inferior language to most major languages when it comes to synonyms and precise terms Crying or Very sad One Danish word seems to be unique though and without equivalent in any other language: "Bagstiv" Sprouted by aeons of Danish consumption of intoxicating beverages this word is roughly defined as follows:

"Bagstiv: Danish for waking up the day after a drinking trip and still being drunk" Shocked

So bagstiv doesn't equal hangovers - it's not the equivalent of Swedish "Bagfuld"... Instead it's linked to this dodgy state of being before hangovers kick in but yet after having been sleeping for several hours - an amazing time of your life when the silliest conversations occur and the weirdest ideas tend to pop up... (Who knows if Bloodbowl was born in such a moment?) Very Happy

So far i have been asking ppl from several nationalities (American, British, Belgian, Swedish, Peruvian, Spanish, Jordanian, Palestinian, German) and no one has been able to come up with a similar word... Question

Are Danes the only people in need of such a word? Shocked
Or does a similar word exist in another language that i don't know of? Very Happy Enlighten me!

I have to politely point out that we work HARD for this state of being. We time everything (and learn to drink at the age of 13 so when we hit around 20 we know how our bodies work) and noone is EVER allowed to drink the last pilsner. It is always considered for when u have to get up and "use our buildt in tab" afterwards Wink

My norwegian girlfriend got a shock when she was at her first easter dinner (cold dishes loads of fish and snaps) - and my 80 year old grandmother took a normal beer glas (full of beer of course) and sank a 5 cl snaps into it and said bottom up (and continued to do so through dinner). Sadly even Denmark is feeling the presence of all the partydrugs and even worse all the "premixed drinks" (how come the young today shall drink vodka and juice that actually taste ok ?? our surely never did that being made out of whatever we had) - so im not that sure that all of these ancient traditions are continued in the same degree Sad
mymLaban

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2006 - 18:26 Reply with quote Back to top

cant blame them poor Norse fellows having to pay a 100000 kr for 3 beers Sad
Blackcrag

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2006 - 23:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Karhumies wrote:
Fama wrote:

"Laskuhumala" comes close but for that, it doesn't have to be morning. Rough translation of that word would be "downfall", the state when alcohol amount in circulation is no longer increasing but decreasing and which often leads to depression or anger.

A good candidate but i'm afraid the word "Bagstiv" doesn't have all the negative undertones that "Laskuhumala" seems to carry - to me "Bagstiv" is an entirely positive term for that half-happy state of mind where u can do nothing but being fully aware of being somewhat drunk still... Not anything to do with depressions or such...
mymLaban

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2006 - 23:40 Reply with quote Back to top

hehe you know the feeling Blackcrag Very Happy
 Jump to: