29 coaches online • Server time: 02:53
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Oblitzamanger

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2006 - 23:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I think giving out trophies is a great idea. You could get trophies for such feats as killing four players in one match, going 20 - 50 games without having a player dying, winning 50 - 100 - 200 games, playing 100 - 200 - 300, games, building a team with all legends, scoring five touchdowns in five consecutive matches and so on... The possibilities are endless. It would be great fun and a decent evaluation of what a team is like and how ell it is coached. Great idea. But no in-game effects. Just shiny silverware on your team's page.

That means you.
Nachtogen

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2006 - 23:12 Reply with quote Back to top

if you want medals, play faction...just my 2 cents

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2006 - 23:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I want to adress cherry picking.
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2006 - 23:15 Reply with quote Back to top

BigMac wrote:

ahhhh so the truth comes out....

cherrypicking happens....get over it...

if you really think that adding something like this is going to curb cherrypicking, you're sadly delusional...in fact, it'll add an even bigger aspect to cherrypicking...

"oh look at that, i get dauntless for free if i play 10 matches against a chaos team!!...let's see, where's a chaos team that's 40 TS under me...."....

you think cherrypicking is bad now?...heh...wait and see what happens if a system like that gets put into place

--j

ImageImage

Last edited by shadow46x2 on %b %24, %2006 - %23:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
Oblitzamanger

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2006 - 23:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Implementing trophies is a great idea. You could get trophies for such feats as playing 100 - 200 - 300 - 400 games, winning 50 - 100 - 200 games, killing five players in one match, scoring over four touchdowns in five consecutive matches, having at one point the highest active TR or TS for your race, having the highest fan factor, knocking off every player from the pitch (like a TCM match), and other incredible things. The possibilities are endless! Trophies on the team page would give a good idea on how good the team is and how well the team is coached. Just no in-game effects.

Ooh! This could spark rivalries for the most trophies! It would be great! A real goal for Ranked and every team, to be the undisputed best! Great idea.

That means you.
Oblitzamanger

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2006 - 23:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh shit, did I type that twice? Sorry. Really tired! (But is is a great idea. And no, faction is good for medals, but it takes too much time, and you should be able to get medals for other things too.)

That means you.
BigMac

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2006 - 23:20 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
BigMac wrote:

--j

5 Bucks into the silly-phrases-bucket. :p

Nah there could be some funny things that could make people accept more "crazy" matchups.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2006 - 23:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Or everyone could just play like I do..... Flings away!!!!

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2006 - 23:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Nope. Those that are interested in things like that manage on their own already. See for example the E.L.F. - or those interested in tourneys.

The large majority doesn't care about either. (Nor about the more goal oriented faction or ladder divisions). This will only give more options in ranked, but not stop "cherry-picking".

-Mnemon
MiBasse

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2006 - 23:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd just like to see some Smack style tournies in Ranked with TR cap but without having to do 2 back-to-back games.
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2006 - 23:31 Reply with quote Back to top

BigMac wrote:
shadow46x2 wrote:
BigMac wrote:

--j

5 Bucks into the silly-phrases-bucket. :p

Nah there could be some funny things that could make people accept more "crazy" matchups.

silly phrase or not, it's the truth...

what you fail to grasp, is that in an open system like this, people are going to cater their matches to give them the biggest advantage....if that means cherrypicking so be it...

even if you go about implementing some sort of "award" system, people are still going to cherrypick, and it's going to increase, due to giving rewards for meeting achievements....

why do you think xp grinding in rpg's and mmorpg's is so effective?....

find the weakest creature for the biggest pop of xp, and harvest them repeatedly....

you don't go for the biggest creature over and over, to advance your character...you go for the smallest no-brainer encounter, that gives the most xp...

same thing will happen here if you do something like that...."well i want to get the 'i killed 5 troll slayers award', so where's the weakest dorf team i can find?"...

you want to implement some sort of goal system, cool...it's admirable, honestly....don't get me wrong, i love setting goals and trying to achieve them....but face facts, implementing it into the ranked system is not the solution to cherrypicking....the only solution would be forced matches, which would defeat the purpose of an "open" system....as long as you give guidelines for people to meet, they will push those guidelines to the limits to give themselves the biggest advantage....it's human nature....biggest success with the least amount of effort...

if you're adamant about doing something like that, then implement it on your own team...

make a list of achievements that you want to meet, and do it...i know when i play madden football games, i'll periodically throw games, if it means i get to meet one of the madden landmark(wtf ever they're called) thingies that i don't have yet...

heck, make it public enough, and other people might adopt it, and start using it...

but seriously....keep it away from a sitewide implementation...

--j

ImageImage
BigMac

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2006 - 23:39 Reply with quote Back to top

OK just in case you didn't figure out the concept:

punishing cherry picking isn't quite possible, so awarding not to cherrypick might do the trick of easing the situation.
Hammerhiem

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2006 - 23:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

OK just in case you didn't figure out the concept:

punishing cherry picking isn't quite possible, so awarding not to cherrypick might do the trick of easing the situation.

It's a shame your system promotes cherrypicking then isn't it.

arghh bumflaps , another fumble. Why can't these Gobbo's just pick the ball up?
seandon12

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2006 - 23:51 Reply with quote Back to top

hmph i have a few 'medals' as it were
1)I played Every Race Award
2) The I played x games without a player dieing
3) i Played x games without taking an injurie
4)I played x games without not casung a death
5) I played x games without not causing a casualtie
6) I played x games witout conceding a TD
7) I played x games without not scoring a touchdown

(all above x = games in a row not just games)

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2006 - 23:57 Reply with quote Back to top

the thing with a team bio is you can make your own fluff like:
Quote:
But getting trophies or medals that only show feats like "played up +5 TS five times in a row"

I think that the best exemple of that is JanMatty's Hellfishes they have medal so if you want you can get his medals and put them on your team bio. Personaly i made a hall of fame for my team. But if i wanted i could do a Hall of played higher TS or Killed 10+Troll with said player or did 5+cas in a single game etc. Thats part of the ranked fun. You can also make i got killed 2 players a game 4 games in a row .......
 Jump to: