23 coaches online • Server time: 01:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Shoould Academy teams be allowed to move to unranked...
No
50%
 50%  [ 97 ]
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 97 ]
Total Votes : 194

Sysiphos

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2006 - 12:19 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
f_alk wrote:
IF Coach has no teams in other divisions than [A] THEN allow change to [U]

This is a smart suggestion.

Nope, it isn´t. You could only transfer one team to U cause then u have one in another division apart from A.

I suggest:

A teams shoould´t be able to move to another division.
The TR limit should be eliminated (cause many matches here on fumbbl are above the 150 TR and even a newbie should be able to train such matches before thrown in the shark bassin R).
No limit to CR in A. The better the coach (and the CR is an indicator for this) the better for new players to play against him.

Regards
Sys
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2006 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

problem is: good coaches plays IMO in the academy to test crappier teams. Gobbos, flings, vampires.

Not the purpose of the academy but well....

Idea hey I could become the first academy cherrypicky, what do you think guys?

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2006 - 12:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with the original proposal by mightyQ, and remove the tr-cap as well, serves no purpose imo.
Cheers says heinz

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2006 - 12:46 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
problem is: good coaches plays IMO in the academy to test crappier teams. Gobbos, flings, vampires.

Oh, true, I made a vampire [A] team... But then again, I can't log onto chat anymore and therefore can't really play, so for the time being I am out of the equation anyway.
Jinxed

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2006 - 13:36 Reply with quote Back to top

And I made Vamps for Academy since it is such a crappy team that I can still try to play to the best of my ability (more fun to me) while at the same time teaching new coaches a trick or two.

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2006 - 20:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Danger-Dan wrote:
Your point 2 is ... senseless ... not making teams progress in skills means you cannot learn how to play to counter those skills you might fear or have problems with.

It was just a quick suggestion that I thought might stop certain coaches that will be picking on the newbies just to build teams for the unranked division...
MightyQuinn

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2006 - 20:29 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:

I know alot of people are worried about their coach ranking, some coaches even play Ogres, Goblings, Flings just to lose and lower their rankings... I think coach rankings is way over rated, coach rankings should only be for coaches/teams that participate in Ranked Playoffs... I am not sure how close Fummbl's ranking is to NAF's Ranking but what's nice about NAF's Ranking, it is for each individual team, so if a coach wanted to play vamps, their ranking for their orcs or other teams isnt affected...

You're way too late to be the 1st cherrypicker !!! Thats one reason I started this thread...
Hammerhiem

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2006 - 20:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Forgive me but surely the point of A was to learn with that team so you could apply that knowlage to teams in other divisions?

Why would you need to move the team? Just start a new one in XXX division.

I have to say if it wasn't for people like PurpleCrest being nice and pointing out errors in my game when i started i doubt i would have stayed very long. or achived my oustanding 8/7/43 record with Wi'tch Fire!!

gee thanks PC Laughing

arghh bumflaps , another fumble. Why can't these Gobbo's just pick the ball up?
Britnoth

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2006 - 20:48 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
"IF Coach has no teams in other divisions than [A] THEN allow change to [U]"

oh I create 3 [A] teams since I am a noob the I feel I am ready, I move to [U] then crap can't move the other 2, I have a non-A team.

Besides: I have a A team. I was from the real Academy FUMBBL_ACADEMY and not fumbblacademy and when a noob wanted to learn the game I shared most of my wisdom. I did explained things, give advices, left holes in my defense then gave my opponent a goal (now you must find a way to score, by using at most 1 handoff and 3 2die-blocks).

I really putted efforts in it. I've gone to the new academy. erm.. ok I am not opped anymore. No difference between me and a newbee. No teacher status...many vet's that I never seen in the old academy.

I gave up! my academy team here to teach has the outstanding result of 0 games played.

And your post doesn't give me any envy to try much harder.

Limiting CR to enter blocks teachers. Limiting acces to A team creation will kill the division. The reason why vets plays in it is unclear (especially considering the number of "U in open is for noobs. Give me ranked" posts.

bahhh
:/

As I predicted, it takes a small successful initiative, and without consulting you makes it an official group to be abused by predatory cherry pickers.

A league where your win/draw/loss record isnt recorded, advertised to new coaches. How did anyone think it wouldnt be abused by people ignoring the ball?
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2006 - 10:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Hammerhiem wrote:
Forgive me but surely the point of A was to learn with that team so you could apply that knowlage to teams in other divisions?

For me Academy was to give a ground where newbees plays other newbees and not face the very difficult high level of Fumbbl, and to allow so experienced coaches to teach them.

I never perceived it as the "train my game tactics with that race" ground.
Because, why not doing that in U?
option A: 15 slots. (ok maybe)
option B: I don't want my results to be added to my W/D/L. In this case, I just wonder how comes that there iss such a CR hostility and "I don't care about CR".

I'd join the new accademy if I was +v or +op, at least differenciate as teacher or newbee.

ps: I will create 3 teams there. If it gets deleted, I will have 3 more U teams

Post   Posted: May 12, 2006 - 18:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I have an academy team. I am completely new. I really am not interested in playing against people who have played the game a ton and simply get some sort of strange kick out of slaughtering people who are new to the game.

I'm not sure why the "newbie" league needs to be combined with the "test a concept" league for more experienced players. Can't you just test concepts without playing a league game at all?
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: May 12, 2006 - 19:00 Reply with quote Back to top

(little bit off subject, but sue me)

sk8bcn wrote:

how is it not the purpose of academy?

Christer wrote:
While the primary intention of this division is to give newcomers a non-competetive, LRB compliant place to start, I am hoping that anyone who wants to improve their game will play here. It really doesn't matter if you've just started playing and need help with the most basic things such as "protect the ball" or if you're trying out more advanced defensive formations. The Academy is intended as a division where people should be more inclined to help their opponents with tactical decisions since it won't hurt their record.

this statement in itself specifically states that coaches who are learning more advanced teams, trying new things out, should hopefully be using the [A] division to learn the basics of the team...

i don't see any problem with a hardcore bashy coach, making an academy gobbo/vamp/elfball team, etc etc, since it's such a vastly different playstyle, and it's not the easiest thing in the world to completely convert your tactics from one end of the spectrum to the other...honestly, i'd rather see coaches doing it in [A] or [U], instead of doing it in [R], and seeing a rash of recycled teams every day

SlyFrog wrote:
I have an academy team. I am completely new. I really am not interested in playing against people who have played the game a ton and simply get some sort of strange kick out of slaughtering people who are new to the game.

I'm not sure why the "newbie" league needs to be combined with the "test a concept" league for more experienced players. Can't you just test concepts without playing a league game at all?

first off, congrats and welcome to the site Smile (wow, there's something you don't see every day from me....kindness ...better mark your calendars Wink )...

as for your comments, i'm sorry you're running into this kind of behavior in a league designed to help other coaches, but unfortunately, you *will* run into coaches who are only interested in wrecking your team...not just in [A] or [U], but in [R] too...it's something you'll need to get used to, and decide whether or not you want to avoid those coaches, or tough it out, and give them their own beating in return Wink...my best advice, is if it happens, just grit your teeth and muscle through it, maybe even find someone who's on irc who's willing to watch the game as it happens, and give you pointers in the interim to help you survive and win the game...

as for using the "newbie" league....it can be done in [R], but a lot of coaches aren't willing to "test" team plans in that division due to the competitive nature of the league(CR increases/decreases, team rankings, championships, etc etc)....also, the academy was designed, not just for newbies to learn the game, but for all coaches to learn *something*...it's intent is to make anyone who comes in, a better coach...so testing a team idea(obviously i'm excluding something like "well i'm going to make Diving Tackle orcs, and see how it works), like "how does a gobbo team run, and what do i need to do to get it to work properly?" should be done in t he [A] division, imo

--j

ImageImage

Last edited by shadow46x2 on %b %12, %2006 - %19:%May; edited 2 times in total
koadah

Post   Posted: May 12, 2006 - 19:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Also, more teams reduces the amount of time you have to wait for a game.

I started in [U]nranked when I joined but got fed up with waiting so went to [R]anked.

Post   Posted: May 12, 2006 - 19:05 Reply with quote Back to top

SlyFrog wrote:

I feel bad for people just learning the game and getting nailed. That is kind of (very) pathetic. It is supposed to be pure and ruiners ruin it. My suggestion is this. If you have more than x number of games played (x could be anything 25/50/75/100 or bacon) you can't transfer Academy teams to unranked. That way people can teach and newbies can learn from benevolent Fumbbl Fairies.

Post   Posted: May 12, 2006 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I think people are underestimating the new users of FUMBBL. Just because they're new to the site, doesn't mean they're crap at Blood Bowl. I had years of experience with the table-top game before discovering this site.
I don't see why high CR coaches that play in Academy are such a big deal. It gives users an idea of the kind of games they're up against here on FUMBBL.
Let's imagine you were a brand new user who had played the board game Blood Bowl for one or two years. You're not a noob to the game itself, but you are new to FUMBBL so you'd probably start an Academy team first, right? If that were the case for me I wouldn't want some 160+ CR coach treating me like a little kid and saying things like "now see if you can reach the ball by only using one block and a dodge" or something to that effect unless I specifically asked for it. I know how to play the game, I just want to get a feel for the FUMBBL version of it. I'm pretty sure most of the "better" coaches would aid the newer players if they asked for their help.
I really like Academy and I'm learning new game-plays and defensive setups as a result of it. The most enjoyable thing about Academy though is that it's not the other leagues. Ranked, faction and to a lesser extent, Unranked is full of cherry-picking, Dwarfs preying on Amazons and teams geared to destroy one particular type of team. The amount of Chaos teams that only play Elves for example, is astounding. There's no mercy or sportsmanship in the other leagues, whereas with Academy, the games are much more friendly, fluff-based (look at DonTamaso's Give me Liberty or Brains zombie team for example), competively close and overall enjoyable. I think everyone can learn something from it, including the high CR coaches and at the end of the day, isn't learning what the Academy division is about?
 Jump to: