30 coaches online • Server time: 09:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Shoould Academy teams be allowed to move to unranked...
No
50%
 50%  [ 97 ]
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 97 ]
Total Votes : 194

defresa

Post   Posted: May 12, 2006 - 19:26 Reply with quote Back to top

f_alk wrote:
IF Coach has no teams in other divisions than [A] THEN allow change to [U]

I mainly agree with f_alk. Although I think it should be if they've never had a team in a division other than [A] ever then they can promote a team.

You should be able to promote 1 team from [A] to [U]. I'd say I'm a moderately experienced coach with humans (from playing the boardgame), but I still started in [A] because I'd never used the software before - if I hadn't been able to change divisions I would have started the team in [U] and annoyed people by taking well over 4 minutes for my turn as I learned how to do everything.

Also I don't see anything wrong with a more experienced coach who wants to learn to play with a different race creating a team in [A], they're going to struggle just as much as the newbies. You can learn a lot by being completely overrun by a better player as well, if you're paying attention to what they're doing and you can also watch the replay afterwards to see where you went wrong.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: May 12, 2006 - 19:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Well it goes to show that playing in [A]cademy, and logging onto #fumbblacademy are two different things. If you want to be taught...go to #fumbblacademy. If you want to be schooled...just accept random offers in the divA

Post   Posted: May 12, 2006 - 19:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Meech wrote:
If you have more than x number of games played (x could be anything 25/50/75/100 or bacon) you can't transfer Academy teams to unranked. That way people can teach and newbies can learn from benevolent Fumbbl Fairies.

This is a very sound idea. I created an [A]cademy Wood Elf team, with the aim of teaching new coaches that it is not only heavy bashers that can very quickly make a foregone conclusion of a game. I gave as much advice as possible during the games, and believe that the games I played would have been more helpful to my opponents than a game against another inexperienced opponent.

But by chance, I rolled up this individual. Suddenly it becomes awfully tempting to move this budding star and his team to [U]nranked, doesn't it? And yet I have - albeit unintentionally - built him against complete newbies. So to move the team would seem unfair to me. My intention is to retire the player, and continue the team in [A] (playing with an ST 4 AG 5 player would not give a rookie opponent any kind of accurate impression of how the game should be played). But I can't quite bear to part with him just yet - and I can very easily see how for many coaches (who had never <i>planned</i> to use the academy as a place to build a team for [U]) the temptation to take such a player (or any nicely developed side) and move it into Unranked could be almost irresistible.

Post   Posted: May 12, 2006 - 19:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:
Well it goes to show that playing in [A]cademy, and logging onto #fumbblacademy are two different things. If you want to be taught...go to #fumbblacademy. If you want to be schooled...just accept random offers in the divA

The problem with that is, the subtle distinction and where they should go isnt obvious to newbies. That is the point, they are new. They will assume academy is for other poor coaches like themselves, not people with 1000-2000 games played making multiple dp rosters to smash their teams into retirement.

Why not just make a [C] division?
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: May 12, 2006 - 19:54 Reply with quote Back to top

reading this has persuaded me to do two things, search out cherrypickers and boo them all game long! Laughing and actually play there and help the guys in there Smile
MelchiorX

Post   Posted: May 12, 2006 - 20:17 Reply with quote Back to top

As a newbie coach myself (and debut message posting person), i feel i must mention the positive experiences that i had in Academy. I wouldn't say people were generally throwing advice to me but it allowed me to ease into the fumbbl thing (and most importantly the whole procedure of GETTING agame, then SETTING UP a game then playing the game - i don't think the scariness of these things should be underestimated for computer idiots like me...) at my own pace.

I don't think anyone took advantage of my newbie status particulary, and any good beatings i recieved were an important learning curve. I was very glad that I WAS allowed to take my team to unranked, as the idea of starting a new TR100 team from scratch in a new division might have resulted in me sticking around in Academy for alot longer than would have been good for me. It's a reassuring for an inexperienced player to be able to move their teams from academy to unranked, and i think it should be kept. I am quite a timid soul as you might have guessed. But thats my 2p's worth anyway (worth 3p apparently). Ta.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: May 12, 2006 - 20:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Brownrob has the right idea. If cherry pickers exploiting new people for div U building offends you, then you need to step up to the plate and play/help the new crowd.

Drown out the chickenhawks!

For now on, I'll be offering out my [A] team more often and hanging about in the academy. I'm not a good coach, but I'm experienced enough to teach the basics.

Post   Posted: May 12, 2006 - 20:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I used to hang out in the original #fumbbl_academy for a while, but never got many games there...

in [A] i get far more willing oponents...

i created a vampire team with the intention of helping players out, and before EVERY match, i ask my opponent what he wants to train for or work on. it works a treat...

my criteria for noobness is 'can you beat the living cr*p outta my thralls'? new players or returning players after 10-15 years can't normally in their first match. cherry pickers can.

my academy teaching works on both... i taught the cherry picker how to maximise the spps earnt, and taught him how to set goals. Noobs just enjoy a fun game and a few good pointers...

after a match, i always recommend 2 leagues for them to try out in the future... the under 145 tournament, coz its a good place for equal or similar ability coaches, and the NL leagues coz well, its the old noob league Smile

most of the academy coaches i played were new, and lacked practice... all of them left happy, and all were glad they had found fummbl... isn't that the purpose of academy?

my 2 cents are, keep the 150 cap, makes it easier to be in the same range as noob teams... and let the teams transfer to unranked freely... i have an old training team, took it to a tourney once, and got slaughtered... if the players aren't hardened, the team ends up looking impressive but is actually soft...

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
Meech

Post   Posted: May 12, 2006 - 20:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I think I am going to make an Academy team. I will only play people new to Fumbbl. It is definately more fun to grow the community then it is to take advantage of people just learning Fumbbl's ways.

@master al: I get what you are saying about being an established player and not wanting to be treated like you are a 5 year old. There ARE differences between Fumbbl and the TT game. The Academy should be the best place for coaches that know blood bowl, but not Fumbbl to learn.

Post   Posted: May 13, 2006 - 00:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I just played my first academy game. The other guy obviously had played bloodbowl before - otherwise how did he manage to beat me? Heh Wink - but was new to a few quirks of the client, like how to activate hypnotic gaze and how mighty blow works on here. Good, nice, clean game with a few tips shared. And yeah, playing vampires in Academy really is fun, because then newbies have a good chance to beat you, but you don't really have to pull punches.
Keravin

Post   Posted: May 19, 2006 - 15:58 Reply with quote Back to top

As someone coming back to BB after many years I've found the Academy extremely useful. I'm quickly learning that teams I could play against my friends happily such as Dark Elves and Skaven are walking dead men walking with my old style of play and that's been really hard to learn.

I have managed to progress a few teams into Unranked and those were teams I'd never really played before.

I can point to some experienced coaches like Lord Snotball who were great to a comeback player and gave great advice as I played against them. Then I can look at others - such as a 171 ranked coach who was supposedly in academy to show newbies the harsh reality of ranked play by demolishing newbie teams.

I think what would work best is some more restrictions on the more experienced Fumbbl players playing in Academy and more visible tutors for the newbies to contact. What the Academy should do is get the newbie used to playing at Fumbbl, used to a new team and also make it a fun experience for BOTH players. Having my team demolished to make someone else feel better about themselves is not what the academy should be about.
McLaren

Post   Posted: May 19, 2006 - 16:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Keravin wrote:
Having my team demolished to make someone else feel better about themselves is not what the academy should be about.

Damn straight!

Thus no moving to U with your A-team...
And for the rest of the sad little men who don't boost their teams for tournaments in U, but boost their egos by crushing noobs, I'll go with BrownRob.
Keravin

Post   Posted: May 19, 2006 - 16:09 Reply with quote Back to top

However having started an orc team (badly) in unranked there are not that many similar level teams to play against. I'm not against newbies moving their teams into Unranked.
Hassan_Ninkin

Post   Posted: May 19, 2006 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

i think these types of moves should be limited to the first two months from when you join fumbbl. this alows noobs to learn without having to rebuild right away and prevents vets from farming the noobs.

what do you think of that?
Da_Todfatha

Post   Posted: May 19, 2006 - 16:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Attention NOOBs!

Do not play in [R]anked Division until you are darn well and ready to do so. It is a cherry pickers paradise.

Instead when you feel you are ready to graduate from the Academy division, find an [U]nranked tournament and play there.

Groups like the Orca-Cola Cup Series are open to all TR levels, so you can get some matches in with teams at your level. We run a tournament for TR 100 teams every month, and after that you can move up to any of 5 other tournament levels.

Check it out!

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=1347

Da_Todfatha
 Jump to: