26 coaches online • Server time: 02:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Shoould Academy teams be allowed to move to unranked...
No
50%
 50%  [ 97 ]
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 97 ]
Total Votes : 194

sk8bcn

Post   Posted: May 21, 2006 - 16:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:
my point is:
A lack of interest in playing div[A] says you don't care what's happening there....regardless of what the fingers type.

Ark, I joined the old academy, the channel that BMM runned. I had some games with n00bs there and spended a hour and half for just 1 half time to explain tricks, how to use TZ how to play, what orders. I made holes in my defense on purpose then asked the guys to score with proper moves and with hints.

The new Academy was done. Nice.

Then the shock.....

I wasn't opped anymore, one name among the other, noobs and teacher all along. I do create a team anyway...

in the lfg and in the team list, MANY names, more than 50% at least of coaches that I know around.....

I never seen them giving a help in the old academy. I am 90% sure they don't neither in the new A.

Confused

I just was disgusted. So far, as long as it stays like that, I am not sure I want to participate to this. And if everyone wants me to share what I know about the basics, don't hesitate, I am ready to play.

But only for this.

Post   Posted: May 21, 2006 - 16:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe some kind of policing could be done in A, kicking out the players that clearly dont belong there. A teacher badge would be a good idea actually, Just code it so its not in the bios, but somewhere only admins can edit. Easy Smile
MasterAl

Post   Posted: May 21, 2006 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

I just was disgusted. So far, as long as it stays like that, I am not sure I want to participate to this. And if everyone wants me to share what I know about the basics, don't hesitate, I am ready to play.

Some people are really over-reacting with this. If people are completely new to the game of Blood Bowl, shouldn't they really be learning with the board game? After all, the java client does say that legally you should own a copy of the board game to use the client.

If someone wants help on tactics they can ask in game or in chat. I've played about fifteen or so games in Academy. A few people have asked if I could give them some team-creating and tactical pointers to which I have happily oblidged. The rest obviously just use the Academy division as a way to get to grips with the client and certain races and game plays. They don't want to be spoon-fed like babies. It's demeaning and insulting. I had a couch the other day tell me why a certain skill choice I took was wrong Whereas to me it was completely justified by my team's over-all strategy. If I wanted my skill choices picked apart I would have asked for it. Just because you've been playing here longer than me doesn't mean you're the absolute be all and end all of Blood Bowl knowledge.
Academy should be a place for everyone and anyone to play Blood Bowl without the stresses and competition of the other divisions. Bash Imerikol all you want, but if his opponents had actually asked for coaching, i'm sure Imerikol would have given it. If on the other hand, his opponents are begging for strategic tips and Imerikol is saying, "nope sorry, too busy fouling your players to talk" then yes, there's room for concern.
Peter_Thorpe

Post   Posted: May 21, 2006 - 16:59 Reply with quote Back to top

brownrob wrote:
hmmm... now who is in charge of Academy? Is it mikafreak? well one thing i could suggest is something like a "FUMBBL Academy Teacher" which would appear just under your team name so new guys could easily see it, how would this be given out you say?

well once you have proven your worth as a teacher (lordsnotball springs to mind) then if possible, the league admin, would be able to add the logo to your team, or else, your coach info... trying not to turn it into a trophy here... or something could be added to the side as good coaches to play against in academy, failing that, aking them ops in the academy channel?

And brand every player with a DP in a acadamy team the "hooligan award"!

Post   Posted: May 21, 2006 - 17:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Thorpe_Star wrote:

Why? Surely it'd be better to get used to DP as early on in a FUMBBL career as possible. Hell, if a new coach ever wants to even join a Ranked tourney they're going to need to have experienced fouling as much as possible. Better to learn in Academy where the teams aren't long established.
Peter_Thorpe

Post   Posted: May 21, 2006 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

MasterAl wrote:
Thorpe_Star wrote:

Why? Surely it'd be better to get used to DP as early on in a FUMBBL career as possible. Hell, if a new coach ever wants to even join a Ranked tourney they're going to need to have experienced fouling as much as possible. Better to learn in Academy where the teams aren't long established.

that sounds like fouling talk to me, watch your back Wink

Post   Posted: May 21, 2006 - 18:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, until I came to Fumbbl I had no problem at all with fouling, I viewed it as a weapon to be used like any other. Indeed, in my first few academy games, I fouled like crazy, unlike a surgeon Wink, and got most of my team sent off. It WAS because I never read the LRB properly, and I thought you got spp for fouling, but I think that some new players will foul. There should be people who will teach them how to foul properly in Academy, for it IS a learning division. It may be nice before the game to confirm that they are ok with you fouling, if they are new, but that is for the coach to decide.

Post   Posted: May 21, 2006 - 18:30 Reply with quote Back to top

This is one of the best ideas i seen in a long time. Imerikol, makes me sick.
FischerKing

Post   Posted: May 21, 2006 - 18:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Teach them to foul yes, but thats not what hes doing, hes just trying to retire their teams for the sake of hes own ego, not much teaching in that.
BiggieB

Post   Posted: May 21, 2006 - 20:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I would like to point out that the old academy channel still exists and so does the group, and I think some of us may even be willing to help n00bs out there still, if your lucky, otherwise we can always use our 10 dp teams to foul em to death
SergeiBautin

Post   Posted: May 21, 2006 - 20:22 Reply with quote Back to top

i must "confess" that i am running an Academy team, and im not playing it to be nice to nOObs. Actually, i didnt even read the instructions that you posted in the start of this thread (sorry Christer). With my team i have no intention to go to Unranked however. Im running a "get frenzy or get sacked" team, so im constantly short of players, and trying to dodge the TR limit is fun too. Actually looking forward to the day when my norse only have 4 fellows in the team again Smile

Post   Posted: May 22, 2006 - 09:46 Reply with quote Back to top

MasterAl wrote:
I wrote:

Some people are really over-reacting with this. If people are completely new to the game of Blood Bowl, shouldn't they really be learning with the board game? After all, the java client does say that legally you should own a copy of the board game to use the client.

they could also read the rules and all tactical advices that can be found...but I don't think that's the question here.

Quote:
If someone wants help on tactics they can ask in game or in chat. I've played about fifteen or so games in Academy. A few people have asked if I could give them some team-creating and tactical pointers to which I have happily oblidged. The rest obviously just use the Academy division as a way to get to grips with the client and certain races and game plays. They don't want to be spoon-fed like babies. It's demeaning and insulting. I had a couch the other day tell me why a certain skill choice I took was wrong Whereas to me it was completely justified by my team's over-all strategy. If I wanted my skill choices picked apart I would have asked for it. Just because you've been playing here longer than me doesn't mean you're the absolute be all and end all of Blood Bowl knowledge.

Academy should be a place for everyone and anyone to play Blood Bowl without the stresses and competition of the other divisions.

Are you concerned about CR? if no, are you concerned about Win percentage? If not, if that's (just learning to use a team) then why doesn't it belong to U?????

"Seriously people, lighten up! It's only a game! It's not as if we're all playing for cash prizes or anything!"

This is coming from your bio.

I don't think you should be nurturing too much. If the guy just want to make his mistakes and learn alone. Fine. If he want advices, also good. BUT, for the first part (the guy that wanna learn alone), he'd better do that with a mate learning too. I think an experienced coach will use too well any mistake he does. You learn with coaches a bit above you in skills. Not when there's a gasp because he will just completely cancel any tactic you can set up.

I don't mean that whatching 2 experienced guys doesn't teach you things. Just that a strong vs a noob doesn't learn the noob much, if the strong doesn't have something to tell him to improve his game.

Since it doesn't satisfy my ego much by winning vs noobs, since I am not really in A to teach (since most of the teams aren't after all there to learn) I don't see why I should join.

Post   Posted: May 22, 2006 - 09:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I can use my double post to warmly agree with mith before his text Very Happy

see below Razz

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
V

Last edited by sk8bcn on %b %22, %2006 - %11:%May; edited 1 time in total
Mithrilpoint

Post   Posted: May 22, 2006 - 11:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote this among other things in his introductory post about the academy:

Quote:
But as with everything else, we'll see what the community makes of it

The community has now made something of the academy. Part time training ground for new coaches and part time noob hunting ground for the more experienced ones.

The Academy in it's current form doesn´t even come close to the quality teaching and "hello, welcome to fumbbl"-starting place it could be, mainly because there is no public ownership of the division. People use it for their own purposes (breeding perfect TR 150 teams, teaching new coaches, foulhappy slaughterfest) and not for the sole purpose of offering a starting place for new coaches.

Yep, i think thats what the academy should be. A starting ground for new coaches with a selected number of experienced coaches to show them the ropes. That would mean that of you´re not one of those or new to fumbbl then you have no business in the academy. This would of course take some selection but as there is allready plenty of selection regarding official fumbbl duties (Admin, Team approver, Tournament Facilitator, Security Officer, Editor of GLN and probably others i forgot), selecting 20-25 coaches (maybe more or less?) to take care of the academy chouldn´t be so hard. Plenty of good people out there that want to help the new people.

Is there a Admin in charge of this division? Is there a vision for this division? I would like to hear from the admins whether the Academy works out as intended (then there is no need for change) or could be improved in some way. After all - the admins have the lead on this one as the Academy wasn´t spawned out of popular demand but as a decision that surprised, pleased and saddened some.

M

Post   Posted: May 22, 2006 - 12:05 Reply with quote Back to top

OK, I've changed my mind.

I now agree with the no transfering teams. How about no transfering if you have played more than 50 games?

What constitutes a n00b anyway? I've played 140 games and I still feel pretty 'n00b like'.
I played my first ever [A] game at the weekend. I played a much higher rated coach who has played over 1500 games.

I asked for advice but didn't get any. I did win though. Smile
Seemed like two 'halfling n00bs' playing. Are you folks saying that we should not have been allowed to play this game?

I can get a result if I play Orcs and my opponent does not play elves or skaven, but for anything else I think I belong in [A].

If someone is causing problems in [A] ban that person from [A]. Don't ban everyone who is not a 'recognised teacher'.

I do agree though that some coaches should be made 'recognised teachers' and that they should be distinguished somehow when they add a team to the [A] gamefinder and in chat.

Jump to: