68 coaches online • Server time: 14:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BigMac

Post 5 Posted: Apr 25, 2006 - 19:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm curious.
Why is it that the number of teams per coach is limited by division?
I would have imagined that the load to the database is determined by the total number of teams per coach...

Me for example i do not use any of the other Divisions right now, and i'd gladly trade my stunty slots for ranked ones.

(to clarify the above: I am just ASKING so i'd appreciate an ANSWER not comments like "5 is enough" which i am expecting from the usual forum suspects...)

On a sidenote, i'd rather see a mechanism introduced that stops people from retiring their teams early on. I think it would be beneficial to the matchup situation if more teams that don't do too well are availiable as opponents. I once suggested a minimum of 5 games played before a team may be retired.
Sleep

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2006 - 19:19 Reply with quote Back to top

because one should be enough! gotcha!

With skill and luck you get snake eyes!
BigMac

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2006 - 19:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2006 - 19:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Post 8 - Christer's response and another thread about slots in ranked.

I'm sure there are other threads in the forum about this topic with some insightful comments.
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2006 - 19:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Your sidenote is a good idea, BigMac. That would hamper the RRR-frontloading.

Zatoc

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2006 - 20:34 Reply with quote Back to top

to increase donations why doent christer charge $2 per extra ranked slot. i would buy some
MiBasse

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2006 - 20:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Since Ranked has no incensitive for people to play in in the first place why request more ranked slots?

Wink
ozjesting

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2006 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

While 5 is indeed enough...if you had a game minimum before retireing a team there would be a rash of conceded games I would imagine. So a lot of lame moments as people feast on this new species of cherry (cherry juice?) and a whole lot of wasted of time for many.

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2006 - 20:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like more R slots too. There's just not enough slots to have all the teams i want at one time. I'd like around 10. I'd play 'em all; and i play other divisions enough anyways. I just need more space to experiment without having to retire teams.
Zlefin Smile
Britnoth

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2006 - 20:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Another reason to limit the R teams is to get people who want to play alot involved in the other divisions. Allowing more teams in R would just increase the number of games played there, which is not needed at this point. We don't want to kill off the other divisions entirely

Well, now that DivX and Ladder have both been executed, that argument doesnt really hold up anymore I think.

Quote:
The minimum 5 games before creating new team rule does have a purpose. One being to discourage people from needlessly retireing teams, the other to actually get people to play in divisions other then ranked, too. DivX/unranked/Ladder are at this point so inactive that I'd rather see it increased to 10 games minimum then seeing it removed.

-Mnemon

Very prophetic, it was removed and those did die.
BigMac

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2006 - 20:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok "Stunty" is silly, and "Academy" is lame. "Factions" is freak so that leaves "Ranked" and "Unranked". How exactly is it desireable to play in unranked and ranked? I mean either you want to have games add up to some stats, or you don't. (Which escapes me, but have it your way then).
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2006 - 21:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd prefer more [U] slots actually. I can't participate in all the leagues I'm interested in. I must admit that perhaps even more interesting leagues would pop up if there were more slots, though.
Pmg

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2006 - 21:22 Reply with quote Back to top

If you make a Poll about the 5 Ranked slots, my guess is that you would see 90 or 95% of the coaches wanting more slots in ranked. I've read Christer's response earlier but see no reason not to make the game the way teh coaches want it, thus more fun for most of the poeple, instead of protecting semi-dead divisions that very few people play.

I am for the Majority! Get those slots up to 8!
jimimothybodles

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2006 - 21:42 Reply with quote Back to top

i think i'd rather see less than more.. i think that would encourage you to stick with a team more and not just retire it. i'm really bad for doing that. Embarassed

BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2006 - 21:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like to see more because that way when I get bored with a team I can just ignore it for a while instead of consigning it to the purgatory of U.