20 coaches online • Server time: 05:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Optihut

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2006 - 11:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Howdy,

after giving it some thought, I noticed that I would often buy the cheapest player when rebuilding a team, so that I can quickly get to 11 again. However, I think this is only a sensible thing to do when there's access to dirty cheap lineman: For instance, on human team the Blitzer would cost 90k and a lineman would cost 50k, so for the price of 1 Blitzer, I could get 1.8 linemen.

On a dark elf team it looks like this: Blitzer 100k, lineman 70k, so I'd only get 1.43 linemen for the blitzer, so I might as well safe up the cash to buy the blitzer as it will be of much more use.

What's your stance on this, does this make sense or would it be better to fill any gaps with 6 3 4 8 guys instead?

With regards,

Optihut
coffindodger

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2006 - 11:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Fill the gaps - the more expensive line positions are generally more useful than the cheap ones anyway e.g. Ag 4 rather than Ag3 for DE cf Humans and it's rarely a good experience to be down players...

BFN

Paul
f0rd

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2006 - 11:29 Reply with quote Back to top

To get to 11 I would buy lino´s if that´s the best I got cash for, but to get to 12-13 I would save up to blitzers

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2006 - 11:31 Reply with quote Back to top

If you need a player just to stand on the LoS - go with linemen. No matter what skills they have they are bound to get crushed.

And 1.43 players more is quite a lot.

Edit - zombies for the win!
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2006 - 11:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I all depends. I fill the gaps on my roster with linos if I lack rookies to put on LoS. Otherwise, I try to get the full positionals asap.
Humans need positionals, tho. Dark Elves need positionals much less.

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2006 - 11:42 Reply with quote Back to top

It all depends which difference does make having the lineman and not the full positional.

Here is an extreme example:

Say someone does kill a mummy in your khemri team and you have 90000 cash. Not enough for a new mummy but more than enough for a skeleton (let's assume you have already 2 blitz-ra).

Well, in this case I'd play with one player less and be sure that after next match I'd be able to buy back my mummy rather than buying a skeleton and run the risk to get a crap dice roll on earnings and not be able to get back my heavy hitter.

This is true for all teams in which the linos are not comparable in any way with the positionals (mainly Dwarves, undead and necromancers).
stormmaster1

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2006 - 12:11 Reply with quote Back to top

It depends how much you need positionals and how badly you need numbers. Skaven for example might consider skip buying an extra linerat and save for the gutter runner. A norse team however has relatively useful linemen (i.e. they start with block) so it's fine to fill in with them before saving for blitzers. If you can get through a few matches shorthanded with any team then it's probably worth saving for positionals. An extra lino won't help as much long term but will help in the next game.
Huscarl

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2006 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I would always try to get 11 players.
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2006 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

One thing I've learnt is that you *need* cannonfodder in your team. You don't have to field them on your receiving drive (provided they're extras), but you don't want to have to put experienced players on the LOS if you can avoid it, or it makes sense to do; ie. blodging ss vs tackleless teams. This goes double on a rebuilding team. Having to put expensive players on the LOS is just a recipe for a downward spiral into never ending recovery.

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2006 - 12:27 Reply with quote Back to top

i normally keep players with a few injuries as long as it not nigglings i have on my chaos team a beastmen with MA 4 but he does just fine on the los and i think would be the case for a Dark elf linemen with ST 2 or ag 3 or maybe both Smile
Optihut

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2006 - 15:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah but with my darkies I get like 20k a match on average (mostly 0 and then good games in between), so if I am at 70k I'd rather accumulate another 30k to buy a blitzer. A non-block Lino isn't much of an asset anyway and normally you can't really pass 6 times in a match with a lino at that high TR (ok, the game against Montagne was the exception, I didn't anticipate that I could get away with passing 6 times to develop my new witch elf, but fortunately nuffle was on my side and gave her lots of 1s and skulls, heh), because the opponents are more able in that range.
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2006 - 22:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Huscarl wrote:
I would always try to get 11 players.

And in stunty leeg I always try to get 16.

LordSnotball

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2006 - 14:42 Reply with quote Back to top

playing dark elves primarily, i would say that the trick is to start the team with 12 linemen or 10 linemen and 1 blitzer. By the time you have bought some positionals, your original linemen are slowly dying off. The trick is THEN to intersperse your positionals with linemen.

i have seen DE teams with all positionals and just a few linemen around at high, however i think that this is very dangerous, as your positionals may die, and replacing them at high tr is veeery difficult (unless an awful lot of cherry picking is involved, mostly concerning teams with high FF though).

so, i would generally agree with what has been said already, have some linemen to secure the LOS, and have reserves for that too. Blitzers can die in their first game with the same possibility that the linemen can. if your team fields enough positionals already, the lineman is the better option...

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
Voorn

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2006 - 20:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Some of the teams are (I thinkl) exceptions to the rule. Dwarves for example. I would get as many linemen as possible and only use the runners as positionals. The extra cash would be spent on rr, apoth or extra linemen. The same goes for norse. Norse are decent if you start with nada but linemen and the extra spent on rr and apoth. The other teams however, I think at least a few positionals are needed to balence and give needed abilities.

Immitated in chat by another member "S**n"
 Jump to: