37 coaches online • Server time: 02:25
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
destroyer_dabes

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2006 - 17:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I always sack nigglers on fummbl, as the TR can never be low enough to get good games. In my real life league I always sack nigglers, just because we play with the handicap cards which are deadly, so the more the better.

But now my real life league is going to switch to fummbl for ease of use considerations. In a perpetual league with static schedules, is it worth it to sack nigglers on fummbl? It just seems like TR won't matter when I don't have to actively find games and the handicap table is neutered.

On a similar note, is there a way to use the old cards in fummbl? I noticed under the handicap selection in options there is a custom.ini option. What exactly can you do with that?
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2006 - 19:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Cards aren't implemented in the java client. Sad
Concerning long running Fumbbl leagues, my observation is that the teams can keep 1 or two ni players and perform well. But that depends on the composition of te leagues, too.
The match ups can be very unequal, so too many ni players can turn virus into a fearsome threat.

Spaceman_Spiff

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2006 - 20:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I sometimes keep a niggled player around, but he has to meet 2 prerequisits.
1) Not a Rookie. A player with 0-1 skills who gets niggled is not worth keeping due to the ease of replacement. If the player rolled Doubles or AG+/STR+ I would consider it, but probably not for MA+. example: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=2791621
2) Not vital to the team. Generally if I have a decent player (2-3 skills) niggled I will usually keep them if I am confident I can play without the player and still perform well. 1 in 6 matches (in theory but never is) isnt a big deal to me if I only have one niggled player on the team. If the player has good skill combos/doubles/stat+'s I am usually more inclined to keep the player.

In either case, the player will eventually get replaced when money permits it or I just get pissed off, but I rarely axe a niggler as soon as it happens (even a rookie) unless I will still have at least 12 on my roster.

but then again, what do I know.
Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2006 - 20:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Unless he's a 100% (normally) bench player, I wait until I have the money to replace him before he gets the axe.

17% he misses the game vs 100% he misses the game? Not much of a choice I think.
Voorn

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2006 - 20:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Anymore, I am tending to sack them as early as possible. The times I dont are
1. When I am undermanned and would be unable to field 11 men without them.
2. They have skills that are profitable to me. For example, +1 strength or gaurd.
If kept, they serve the role of hole filler and I make sure that they only serve to plug holes or serve as assists to players so that the other players have as many of the spp gaining opportunities as possible.

Immitated in chat by another member "S**n"
destroyer_dabes

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2006 - 21:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess I'm trying to know specifically for a closed, set schedule league. Does TR really matter in relation to niggled players in this format? I just can't see having a roll on the crappy handicap table as being worth dumping even 5/6 of a player. I guess I can see not wanting MVP's and the like wasted on nowhere players, but without rolling up a virus, can it hurt?

Maybe I just want the good old cards back so I can just dump the nigglers with glee. Back to my original post, how customizable are the handicaps within javabowl? If I could make my own handicap table that was more of a help to the underdog, it would greatly improve my fummbl experiance.
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2006 - 21:25 Reply with quote Back to top

A motivation to keep a niggled veteran in a league team, may be when the league runs a record sheet and you want him to climb these lists.

nin

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2006 - 21:31 Reply with quote Back to top

It's a matter of how many matches are you going to actually play (the more, more damage from handicaps like Virus, Morley's...) and it's also about race and players, elves are almost allways short of LOS cannon fooder and Wood Elves in particular depend a lot of their best players...
for me it's outstanding players deserve a chance of diying on the pitch and I keep other niggleds only for the los if I really need them.
Furious_George

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2006 - 21:56 Reply with quote Back to top

To be honest, folk make a big noise about nigglers, and its not as important as is made out to be, but since FUMBBL teams are made often with +200Tr futures in mind, growing a team on the sand foundations of nigglers is infuriating, since, second to dead guys and freebooters, theyre the most likely to get the MVP Smile
I use nigglers for linefodder when I have nobody else, but your point about 17% chance of missing a game vs 100% chance is not valid.
In the case you fire him you are dropping your TR, and as long as that doesnt give you trouble fielding your 11, then the drop in TR is better for you than taking a match that takes into account the TR that a guy provides when he might be unavailable to play. Fire him if you can.
On the other hand, if your playing a short league, with no future in mind for the team, then keep him, the other guys HAVE to play you, so TR is less important. Once youve collected a few nigglers however you wake up in the middle of the night screaming "NOOO, not virus.... anything but..."
Its worth considering i spose

"Hugh Mann eh? Now theres a name I can trust!"
Me Loves Futurama
SergeiBautin

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2006 - 22:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I wont sack them always. This one for example stays : http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=2971421

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2006 - 22:07 Reply with quote Back to top

By now I remove them all. Regardless of skills - even ag6 guys / skinks with two doubles. Lower TR = more money, and less players (with more skills) that the MVP can hit. Only thing that might stay are -av or ocassionally - ma players. And of course something that has ag1/2 standard and receives -ag has a chance too.

-Mnemon
Hoodeddwarf

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2006 - 22:39 Reply with quote Back to top

In a closed format league like you suggest the need to fire nigglers is reduced, as the one-off result may be more important than long term team interests. I think i would make the decision more on a game by game basis. If you are giving away several handicaps and the tr drop would be useful then retirement might be the option, however certainly for experienced players with useful skills who cannot be replaced in the short term, i'd be more likely to keep hold of them in that closed format.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: May 02, 2006 - 10:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I play in average 12 leagues or so and in some of them my teams played more than 20-25 teams.

Well, I don't fire nigglers that much. You start to give a second handicap at 26 TR what happens not that much. I think you'd be concerned at 3 nigglers. 4 is too much. 3 depends on who became niggled.

I think it this way:

-it's a lineman and skillless. LoS him. retire him at 2 nigs, nig+ -str, or dead. If you could get +10k more on money and if you have enough linefodders. If you give away a second handicap.

-it's a skilled line. linefodder or standard field depending on his skills. a +str is still a real member of the team. My common exemple is the blodge sidestep elf. Angering Linefodder, he doesn't deserve to be apoed but helps a lot.

-it's a positionnal and you can have 2. How skilled is your team? You have the other one developped already? The lines are fine? Replace then, your second player is skilled and may age and you cannot play with both niggled. If the other one isn't, keep him until the other is.

-it's a positionnal and you can have 4. Bah, if he is crap (no doubles, not many skills) you should replace him soon enough. if not and if you don't have too much positionnals, keep him but no apo, unless he is very special (+str or things like that).

Post   Posted: May 02, 2006 - 10:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I have sacked all my nigglers immidiately. All but one... this one... http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=2911935
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: May 02, 2006 - 11:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Sysiphos wrote:
I have sacked all my nigglers immidiately. All but one... this one... http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=2911935

sys, link also the tournament you play in