21 coaches online • Server time: 02:20
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Siokawta

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2006 - 10:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Most people choose to take Block if they are lucky enough to roll doubles with a big guy but I don't understand why they don't take pro. Quite simply Pro can get you out of Both Down but Block cannot get you out of Bonehead/Wild Animal/Really Stupid etc.
BooAhl

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2006 - 10:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Pro can't defend you?
Hoodeddwarf

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2006 - 10:26 Reply with quote Back to top

For me it's all about the fact that block always gets you out of both down, pro does half the time, and then there's nothing stopping you rolling some more. The turnover odds on a 2d block for a block big guy and a pro big guy aren't even close. Pro is nice to cut down on those really stupid, bonehead moments but block is a neccessity.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2006 - 10:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Siokawta wrote:
Most people choose to take Block if they are lucky enough to roll doubles with a big guy but I don't understand why they don't take pro. Quite simply Pro can get you out of Both Down but Block cannot get you out of Bonehead/Wild Animal/Really Stupid etc.

hmh... pro doesnt help if the other guy blocks.... the big guys should stand around... without block they cant do this that well... and...
still there is a higher chance you get down if you block without block but pro...
Melmoth

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2006 - 10:27 Reply with quote Back to top

block is best choice no doubt
Korenn

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2006 - 10:32 Reply with quote Back to top

pro doesn't even save you half the time from both down in your turn ( the chance is 4/9). and as said, block helps you in the other player's turn.
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2006 - 10:38 Reply with quote Back to top

yep, have to agree, losing a Tacklezone isnt very good when the Big Guy's primary role is as a road block, and if the Big Guy is blocking then it really shouldnt be anything important. 1/9 block dice should end up in your attacker being down on a 2 dice block, but Bonehead is 1/6 and Really Stupid can be 1/2! in effect, its better to give your player a better chance of doing something!

also the argument about the 2 dice block, having block means a 1/36 chance of going down, but a 1/6 chance of rolling bonehead, but pro can be used on Bonehead or the Block, i dont know the odds myself, maths isnt my strong point (i never listened!) but some kind soul might be able to work them out Wink

Odd of pro with bonehead/WA/RS and blocking:
odds of block with blocking with bonehead/WA/RS:
Sysiphos

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2006 - 10:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I prefer Block, then either Stand Firm or Pro... depends on the team and the role of the big guy.
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2006 - 10:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Hoodeddwarf wrote:
For me it's all about the fact that block always gets you out of both down, pro does half the time, and then there's nothing stopping you rolling some more. The turnover odds on a 2d block for a block big guy and a pro big guy aren't even close. Pro is nice to cut down on those really stupid, bonehead moments but block is a neccessity.

i dont know, if my opponent uses several assists to take out my Ogre, i know i am likely to win the game, on average, your opponent will need either 2 assists to get a one dice block or 3 to get a 2 dice block

pro i think, adds a little to the psychological battle, your opponent sees a pro Ogre, sees him as easy pickings, possibly pay less attention to the rest of your players
Ironik

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2006 - 10:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Block then Pro.
Definitely
Korenn

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2006 - 10:48 Reply with quote Back to top

pro: (5/6)*((8/9) + (1/9)*(4/9)) + (1/6)*(5/12)*(8/9)
block: (5/6)*(35/36)

which is too much work to input on the calculator Razz
slanter

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2006 - 10:50 Reply with quote Back to top

brownrop: I made some easy calculations in a "+ST vs block" thread.
As mentioned a BG with RS/BH will lose his tacklezones every now and then, which can have a horrible effect on the situation.
Picking block would effectively make you throw blocks as often as possible, instead of just soaking up players, thus getting more BH/RS.
I personally lika block on my big guys, but depending on what you do with them then pro can be nice (1/12 gfi, 1/12 BT, 1/12 BH/RS).

A Wild Animal on the other hand should always get block (maybe even on +ST) as they
a) Get to do more blocks because of frenzy
b) Don't lose tacklezones (stopping this is a big reason to get pro)
c) Have low av and will be targeted by opponents unlike ogres/trolls

EDIT
Korenn: I know that most calculations are based on "not causing a TO", but with
pro you can actually get a reroll and have better odds of taking down an important player!

tautology

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2006 - 11:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

with
pro you can actually get a reroll and have better odds of taking down an important player!

Important blocks should NEVER be thrown by big guys...that's a desperation move.
I would take block on double 6's, and I would probably take Pro my second double 6's in most cases (if that were to ever happen).
macike

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2006 - 11:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I didn't say anything wise anyway. Embarassed

Last edited by macike on %b %29, %2006 - %14:%Apr; edited 2 times in total
Optihut

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2006 - 11:50 Reply with quote Back to top

brownrob wrote:
yep, have to agree, losing a Tacklezone isnt very good when the Big Guy's primary role is as a road block

Yeah, but if it's crucial not to lose the tackle zone, you wouldn't use the big guy, even if he had pro to reroll the bonehead. For already stated reasons block is the way to go (and as discussed in the +ST thread, even on a double-6 it's a worthwhile option to consider).
 Jump to: