29 coaches online • Server time: 07:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post 1150 - OWA TT Tourna...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
lethiel

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2006 - 11:51 Reply with quote Back to top

As I guessed before reading this block is prefered by most coaches. I however definately goes for pro. Maybe thats because I use the TREE MAN a lot which none untill now has mentioned. Should there be anybody out there sitting with the dilemma block/pro to such one Ill say - pro. This fellow has the stand up problem and if that can be solved with pro I dont really give a damn if he is easier to get down. That will just inspire oponents to use a lot of effort blocking the tree - which is ideal because of AV 10. (you spare the other players). If the oponent runs cirles around the tree intead pro is also the best choise because it avoids the take root. I think any big guy has done an exellent job if has made the oponents players run away from and dodge the big guy the entire match. He will often stab at least two op. players just by moving next to em. Pro would make this more succesfull.
Britnoth

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2006 - 12:01 Reply with quote Back to top

macike wrote:
Probability of attacker not being knocked (2d block) down when having Pro is: 4/9 + 5/9*1/2*4/9 which is circa about 57%.
Probability of attacker not being knocked (2d block) down when having Block is: 25/36 which is circa about 69%.
Failure means TO!

Probability of successful 2+ (Bone Head or Break Tackle dodge) roll is 83% without and 90% with Pro.
Probability of successful 4+ roll is 50% without and 63% with Pro.
Losing an action doesn't cause TO.

Choosing Block with Boneheads (2+ rollers) it's obvious because it's easier to fail 57% roll rather than 83% one.
Choosing Block with Really Stupid (4+ rollers) is preferred because success probabilities are comparable but Block gives much better protection not only for the player but also for the whole team.

Show your working.
slanter

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2006 - 12:15 Reply with quote Back to top

tautology: Sometimes you do not have the luxury to blitz the ball with a st4, ag5, stipball wardancer
Of course it's a desperate situation when you a) block with a bg b) try to reroll to take down opponent.

I love waterproof 1/36 (with reroll) moves as much as the next guy, but you have to take a chance now and then.
Block is the pick for me, but it's in no way a nobrainer on BH/RS Big guys as it depends on how you play the game.

MiBasse

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2006 - 12:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Block isn't great because your Big Guy can block safely - it's because now he doesn't go down on your opponent's both down result on the block dice. You'll also see a decrease in -2d blocking that successfully gets your BG away from your opponent's players. He's a waaaay better road block with block than without as his chances or going down are hugely diminished. Block is NOT an offensive skill for BGs.

Well - 'cept for minos and Rat Ogres perhaps.

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2006 - 12:49 Reply with quote Back to top

macike wrote:
Probability of attacker not being knocked (2d block) down when having Pro is: 4/9 + 5/9*1/2*4/9 which is circa about 57%.
Probability of attacker not being knocked (2d block) down when having Block is: 25/36 which is circa about 69%.
Failure means TO!

Probability of successful 2+ (Bone Head or Break Tackle dodge) roll is 83% without and 90% with Pro.
Probability of successful 4+ roll is 50% without and 63% with Pro.
Losing an action doesn't cause TO.

Choosing Block with Boneheads (2+ rollers) it's obvious because it's easier to fail 57% roll rather than 83% one.
Choosing Block with Really Stupid (4+ rollers) is preferred because success probabilities are comparable but Block gives much better protection not only for the player but also for the whole team.

How do you get this numbers? Like 25/36 chance to not go down when throwing a 2d block with bock, the only result where the attacker suffers a turnover is doubleskulls and that has a chance of 1/36.
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2006 - 12:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I would show the working, but i quit maths at GCSE and that was 7 years ago, so ive forgotten everything Wink
Superstar

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2006 - 13:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I would go for +st
Superstar

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2006 - 13:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I would go for +st
Dooby

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2006 - 13:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Treemen = pro pro pro (Take root is the worst neg trait in the game right now and anything to prevent it has to be taken - Yes, I even think its worse than OFAB). I would take Pro on my flings trees should I get a double. Second double would be block for me.
macike

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2006 - 14:15 Reply with quote Back to top

How do you get this numbers? Like 25/36 chance to not go down when throwing a 2d block with bock, the only result where the attacker suffers a turnover is doubleskulls and that has a chance of 1/36.

You're definitely right. Embarassed I must have been not fully awaken and put here the probability of weaker Blocker (2d defender's choice block) not going down when attacking BG. Embarassed

So let my try again. What I wanted to say was stupid. Embarassed

Last edited by macike on %b %29, %2006 - %14:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
pac

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2006 - 14:20 Reply with quote Back to top

macike wrote:

I think you mean: 8/9 (chance of not rolling twin skull/pow-skull) + 1/9*1/2*8/9 (chance of failing first roll, but making Pro roll then succeeding second block roll), which is 76/81, I think.

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2006 - 14:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Laughing Same mistake again. Embarassed
Let's erase this stupid things I wrote.
I didn't say anything. Embarassed

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2006 - 15:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I second leitheil and Dooby. Pro is a must for treemen, especially on halfling teams, to help with the TTM.

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2006 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd take pass over pro if I want to ttm loads. Pro can fail - pass can re-roll any time.

-Mnemon
Tank

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2006 - 16:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Block first, the rest is gravy...