28 coaches online • Server time: 07:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Exempt teams
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Tallmaris

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 13:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I learned reading some netiquette, some time ago, that not always an answer should be expected... There are plenty of reason for someone to not respond... disconnection, bathroom, he is in game, etc. etc... So, if an answer doesn't come in the next 5 minutes I usually ask someone else for a game.

This said, I usually try to answer every request, even with a "sorry" if I made you wait a lot... Luckily i use GAIM that beeps when receiving direct messages from chat. Smile

Math and alcohol don't mix well... please don't drink and derive
melker

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 13:30 Reply with quote Back to top

My view:

It's perfectly fine to start with a "Hi" but I will not respond until you state your mission.
I sometimes don't bother to respond, but that is normally when the suggested matchup is silly.

When I ask for a game, and I dont get a responce in 2-3mins I'll look for another game.
It has never come to my mind that I should be upset if someone is not responding.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 13:55 Reply with quote Back to top

melker wrote:
My view:

It's perfectly fine to start with a "Hi" but I will not respond until you state your mission.
I sometimes don't bother to respond, but that is normally when the suggested matchup is silly.

When I ask for a game, and I dont get a responce in 2-3mins I'll look for another game.
It has never come to my mind that I should be upset if someone is not responding.

because you sometime doesn't answer. And not answering is really really annoying.

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 13:57 Reply with quote Back to top

It is VERY annoying when half of the people don't even answer you when you ask for a game. Happened to me one day, was LFG for 2 hours or so, half of the people didn't answer, one quarter already had games and the rest said no. Only got one challenge, from a +19 TS khemri team. Oh the joy of playing orcs.

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 14:04 Reply with quote Back to top

mymLaban wrote:
Ofcourse someone might be away at time happens to us all.

im not sure what the protocol is but i allways do these 3 steps

1. HI
2. you chaos vs my khemri?
3. link to the team (only doing this because i started to get alot of people saying "link?"

Step 3 is exactly what is taking so long in hearing a response. Before your opponent replies to Step 1 or 2, he/she is very likely to check out your teams. If you would begin the conversation by offering a link to your team and suggesting a match-up (e.g. [team URL] vs your [Race]? ), then the other guy only needs to click the link to check your team before answering - allowing him/her to answer much faster than if he/she has to look for the URL.

Mnemon

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 14:08 Reply with quote Back to top

That assumes the one you challenge knows what her/his own teams look like though Karhumies Smile.

-Mnemon
Mr_Launcher

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 14:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I always say "Hi, your blah blah vs my woodies?". Note the "Hi" and the match request in the same sentence, and thereby not taking any extra time but still not being "rude". Not that I usually make match requests -- it's much easier to just wait until someone asks me for a game, which usually happens very quickly.
Macavity

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 15:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Yay, Mr. Launcher!

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 15:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Funny thing is that even the so-called "old" or "most respected" coaches find saying/answering hello too sweaty, and get offended when one calls their attention to this shortcoming.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 17:31 Reply with quote Back to top

angelface wrote:
Funny thing is that even the so-called "old" or "most respected" coaches find saying/answering hello too sweaty, and get offended when one calls their attention to this shortcoming.

mmmm

Bah I must then be the only one that is ready to drop a few lines, even more, before a game starts. Am I the only one not in a hurry?

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 17:36 Reply with quote Back to top

No, I'm not in a hurry, I chat in the main channel for a long time before getting into a game, most days. I'm not quite sure if Angelface is meaning anything other than, "Throw steaks at the mythical norse beastie", though. Razz

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Here, another one is getting offended... Easy, lads. Wink

I just wanted to point to the fact that any formal codes of courtesies are stillborn if neglected by people in the forefront.
 Jump to: