18 coaches online • Server time: 05:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Secret League Old Wo...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Furious_George

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 19:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Class, By IT skills I am currently teaching IT to the unITified, basic stuff like databases etc. so its nothing serious Very Happy On the other hand, it does give me teaching experience, so my degree (in English Lit) once aquired could set me up nicely to be a teacher. Me and a good friend made a pact to move there because we were sick of England Very Happy (woefully unpatriotic i know, but i live in a town populated by binge drinking scottish tourists... you figure it out...)
Took the 'test', prior to finishing my degree id have had no chance, post my degree I believe ive got enough 'points' assuming they havent moved the goalposts.
Which raises one final point of interest, do you play football(soccer/the beautiful game) in Canada Very Happy

"Hugh Mann eh? Now theres a name I can trust!"
Me Loves Futurama
Macavity

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 19:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, yes, oddly enough we do. You need fancy telly packages to watch premiere leagues and, in Winnipeg, will need to learn to love indoor, if you plan on playing (longer season), but it's here. I seriously could help you out in my town. Everythign from where to eat, to how to drive without round-abouts. I own this town, fully and completely, and can immediately connect you to folks involved in any area of life, including "soccer".

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 19:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Very Happy 'I own this town' Very Happy

Macavity the Mighty Very Happy
As i say, its been a longtime dream, and an unreasonably attractive canadian girl I was (infuriatingly just) friends with last year before she returned home has invited me and my mate over for a week or two this coming summer holiday, (aha, victory is mine!) so I shall see how your lovely country suits me then Very Happy

Me Loves Futurama
Macavity

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 19:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Continuing plans in PM, George. Wink

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 20:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Furious_George wrote:
US is full of crazy types, everything from white power to the militant model trains union, Id be frightened. Canada has 3 great points in its favour.
1. Its beautiful and big Smile
2. Its got some measure of public health care last time i checked
3. Inordinately hot women, I cant verify this, but via the tried and true measure of a nations 'hotness' HotOrNot says UK - full of ugly birds where as Canada - Full of hot chicks.

EDIT: for the interested, Iceland has a higher hotness factor than anywhere else i checked, FULL of stunning women.

There is no justice. None whatsoever.

agreed....a few of my canuckian female friends are ridiculously hot....and single...damned being so far away Sad

but on to more important things....

WERTHOR wrote:
Shadow: I see clearly your point of view and I also agree with you on some points, even here in Italy we have serious problems with immigration; but I'd like to know what kind of solution you have for this problem. Actually, when you say "if they're illegal...screw them...they have no rights, they broke into our country, illegaly, they don't deserve the same rights as everyone else" you make me wonder......here in Italy the "Berlusconi" Government made a Law (Bossi-Fini) that said that every "illegal" immigrants from extra UE countries (also the Yanks Wink) should be kept for some days in "immigrant's camps" (for identification purpose) and then brought back to their home country. Well, it was a very harsh law (that by my point of view violated some human rights) but didn't solved the problem: the immigrants (most from north africa) once in their country, come back in Italy as soon as possible and today they continue to come in Italy as they did before the "Bossi-Fini" Law. So, if you want to really "screw" all those illegal immigrants that you have in the US, you really need stronger solutions, that maybe could include some barb wires, minefields, machine guns exc......(as the good Arktoris suggested Wink)....well, theese solutions could even work (even if I doubt), but would you keep calling your country "Home of opportunities" and "land of freedom"?

yes, while i can agree that "immigration camps" is going to an extreme, there is no real solution as to *how* to curb the illegal immigrancy....while illegals should, and are obligated, to maintain some level of humanitarian rights, ie no torturing, being treated with dignity and respect, etc etc...it still doesn't change the fact that they should receive no *constitutional* rights....constitutional rights are, and should be, reserved for US citizens, and people who come here by legal means, such as work visas, passports, etc etc...

and yes...irregardless of the means of how the borders are protected, and illegal immigrancy is dealt with, i would still call the US "home of opportunities" and "land of freedom"....protecting our country does not remove us from those qualities...because any person going through the proper channels to come to the us, or become citizen, is openly, and freely given those same opportunities and freedoms....it's the people who illegally come here, who "invade" our country, who leech off of our society, that do not deserve those things...

Mnemon wrote:
... this I just can't leave standing like this. You can very well be racist while you follow and uphold the law if those laws and the ideology behind it is racist in the first place. This is maybe the one thing people should have learned from my country's history. Even if something is a law (and be that an actual law of state, or one of culture/religion) it doesn't have to be correct.

Of course I don't know the implication of the whole situation. I don't know in which manner "the racist" remarks have been made, what people say to back it up or not - which is why I can't really contribute to the discussion - I lack the information shadow and other US citizens have, and don't know what's implied.

I just heavily disagree with the basic idea here - laws are not always impartial or neutral (and again I don't know the specifics of the US situation, I am just answering to a point that I feel is much to generic, or not truth in the generic way it has been put down. It's something dear to my heart, though, and I can't let opportunities like this to point it out, time and again Smile .).

while i stand behind my original statement, i will make a clarification to it....i still believe that you can't be racist because you choose to take a stance agaisnt someone who commits a crime....the people who *create* the law, though...could be...maybe that'll help clarify things...

as for the delving into racism and whatnot...at a few of the "illegal immigrant" rally(yes...go figure..why the police didn't arrest every single one of them is beyond me), people were throwing out comments about the US being racist towards mexicans, in wanting to make anti-illegal immigration laws...which frankly is the most ridiculous thing in the world...mexico is the largest source of illegal immigrants to the US, so while it may seem racist in making an anti-illegal law, since mexicans would be the largest group persecuted...they aren't the only nationality being persecuted by it...it would be anyone who broke an illegal immigrancy law...i'm not at all saying anyone here is harboring any racism at all...just real events that have been occuring over the past 2 or 3 weeks with these stupid protests going on....

Macavity wrote:
A message for Fumbblers: Move to Winnipeg, and Mac will help you out (unless you turn out to be a jerk, or touch one of my little sisters, then I will cut you off, or kill you respectively) Razz

are your sisters hot?....and legal? Wink

*snicker*...sorry couldn't resist...

--j

ImageImage
Mnemon

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 20:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Different perspective on that shadow Smile. I think there is a moral and personal responsibility that extends beyond the mere laws. All those nazi officials that just followed the law by signing of death treaties, or that applied the law sheepishly - yes they were responsible and yes what they were doing was morally wrong, no matter what the official laws stated.

Disobedience can be a positive thing, if you are very clear about your reasons and thought about what you are doing well. But I am an idealist in general.

No rules/guidelines (and I mean that in any direction - that's why I mentioned culture/religion too) should be an excuse to not think about what they mean and what they cause, specifically if you are asked to enforce them. It's a safe guard against blind idealism and fundamentalism sort of - asking for the why, in anything you do, and thinking about the purpose and implication of laws yourself.

But as I said this is really going far off topic and is just something that is too close to me to pass by, even if it doesn't fit to the topic at hand necessarily.

-Mnemon
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 20:37 Reply with quote Back to top

meh...it's still somewhat relative to the task at hand Wink

while i can appreciate your viewpoints, and to a certain extent, i can agree with them as well...i still think that laws are there for a purpose....but just because they exist doesn't mean there are not ways to go about changing them...but then again, once you start delving into military laws, in reference to your nazi official example, that becomes a whole other mess, due to chain of command, treason, etc etc....i can't really make any educated comments on that, since i try to avoid "military" type discussions if i can....my family is a military family, and i'm the only one who refused to join, so that's kind of a touchy subject through my family...meh

--j

ImageImage
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 20:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Mnemon wrote:

I just heavily disagree with the basic idea here - laws are not always impartial or neutral.

I can't tell you the number of times I've had to (somewhat painfully) explain to my wife that she must never get 'the law' confused with 'justice' here in the USA (though I suppose it applies everywhere) Sometimes, hopefully most of the time, the two overlap. But not all the time. Of course it is possible for a law to be 'racist' - take the 3/5 amendment* way back when.

Yes, perhaps Shadow should have phrased his remark more along the lines of 'it doesn't necessarily mean you are racist if you object to criminals breaking an particular law, who are coincidentally often of a similar racial background.' It is possible to be racist while supporting a law that is racist.

But to claim that our immigration laws are inherently racist is a bit deceiving (I'm not saying that you are saying that Mnemon, I am making a general point here). Sure, it might look that way since the center of the controversy is illegals entering from Mexico. But my wife is from Hungary, and trust me when I say that it is really fecking hard for a white Eastern European to get even a tourist visa for the USA. I think it has more to do with the fact that due to whatever factors you want to interpret as having shaped the world today, countries with a large caucasian population tend to be more affluent on average than countries with large black or hispanic populations. ("On average" - don't get mad at me Spain...)

Therefore, illegals tend to flow in from these countries more readily.

I don't parade about saying 'All illegals out now!' But if I were to do so, someone would eventually label me a racist here in the USA for saying such - I think this is what Shadow is referring to.

EDIT: Completely forgot my footnote about the 3/5 Amendment! For you who aren't as familiar with US history - it was a law concerning slaves. Each slave counted as 3/5 of a person for census and taxation purposes. It was a law, and it was plenty racist.

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 21:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Furious_George wrote:
Very Happy 'I own this town' Very Happy

Macavity the Mighty Very Happy
As i say, its been a longtime dream, and an unreasonably attractive canadian girl I was (infuriatingly just) friends with last year before she returned home has invited me and my mate over for a week or two this coming summer holiday, (aha, victory is mine!) so I shall see how your lovely country suits me then Very Happy

lies!

you sure she was Canadian, or was she an immigrant? Laughing Wink
Furious_George

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 21:08 Reply with quote Back to top

HMmmm, im suspicious now Very Happy Trust nobody! Specially folk emmigrating to Canada Very Happy

Me Loves Futurama
Wreckage

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 21:46 Reply with quote Back to top

hmmh.. the us-mexican relationship is not much about my concern but i sooner realized that us tends to get really agressive if they are unable to create free trade..also called modern imperialism.. as far as i know mexiko is a free-trade zone with us and canada... mexico in this case seems to me to be to poor to be part of such a system... from my point of view the united states blooded mexico out.. this means trading all the products the mexicans former could produce for themselves goes for trade reasons to the us while more expensive and worthless us - luxus is importet to mexico... on my point of view the united states are fully and alone responsible for the situation in mexico...
but however if they did or not... the united states have the power and the money to help their mexican neighbours... noone else can or should, so mexican buisness is exactly us buisness and mexican immigration underlines this... so you better start slowly dealing with the fact there will immigrate many mexicans if you want or not, because they life under really bad circumstances in their own country... ok... us may not be better at all but there is a small chance at last to have a better live.. with enough to eat every day... a room to live... such things

...there is a connection between beeing poor and immigration ^^
Meech

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 21:56 Reply with quote Back to top

The US is to blame because Mexico isn't as prosperous? Can I blame my neighbor for me being not as wealthy? Shouldn't my neighbor support me because he has more money. Maybe I should move in to his house, demand money from him and make him educate my kids. Oi, that gives me a great idea.

Mac, can I have your full address please?

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 22:00 Reply with quote Back to top

The U.S. is to blame for one-way free trade that is impoverishing people in the lumber industry in Canada.

Ok, I'll bite... what do you want my address for, exactly?

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 22:08 Reply with quote Back to top

your neighbor DOES support you if he has more cash, isnt that called taxation? Taxed an amount based on what you earn?
He pays moer because he has/earns more, so yeah, spose he does support you to some degree

Me Loves Futurama
pac

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 22:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Meech wrote:
The US is to blame because Mexico isn't as prosperous? Can I blame my neighbor for me being not as wealthy? Shouldn't my neighbor support me because he has more money ...

The comparison is not entirely apt, however. You and your neighbour are (I would guess) equals in most respects. The same is not true for the US and Mexico - not to mention every other country in the Americas.

Since the Monroe doctrine was adopted, the US has very explicitly taken responsibility (to one extent or another) for the state of affairs in every other country on the continent, intervening with political, economic and military pressure when and where things have not been as the US would wish it. In the last two centuries, the policies of the US have been the major outside force shaping events in every country in the Americas. So 'you and your neighbour' just isn't an accurate metaphor: the rest of the Americas corresponds to the US's backyard, not its neighbourhood, imo.

Jump to: