29 coaches online • Server time: 09:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Spaceman_Spiff

Post   Posted: May 05, 2006 - 03:18 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=128052
I'm having trouble deciding what to do next with my Amazon team. I was hoping some of the more experienced coaches could help me out with a bit of advice.

Two main speedbumps i've come across:

1) The niggled Thrower. not the big issue but I still cant seem to make up my mind on whether to replace her or not. I already know that the majority of coaches out there have this strict law about their teams firing niggles immediately. While I can agree with that, I just plain like this thrower. She's the only thing on the team that even comes close to the elflike ability to move the ball (ok my ma8 lineo comes close), and I'd like to keep her around at least untill my other thrower gaines Sure Hands, and my other catcher gains block.(I like having as many blodgers as possible. Preferably 13 of them)

2) Linefodder. This is now my big problem simply due to fear of losing good players that took a long time to build up. I came to the realization last night that my team now lacks any form of fodder to throw on the line to soak up hits. 4 out of 5 of my linewomen have been around since the founding of the team and all but one of them I feel uncomfortable at putting on the line for D. And that one happens to be the AG+ Lineswoman. Ever since she got hurt and lost a point of MA, I really could care less about her. (personal preference, but feel free to flame about my lack of using ag+ properly) Also I can use her as a backup thrower, so she does still have her uses. The rest are all valuable as well having minimum of 2 skills.
Should I A) just throw the two blodge/tacklers (or rookie blitzer) and the ag+ on the line and hope for the best, or B) buy two rookie linewomen solely for D and hope they get killed?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Lee
Bacillen

Post   Posted: May 05, 2006 - 03:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Linefodder doesn't have to be complete chaff, just the lesser lights of your team ! They might not be killed after all, and may even get up to play a useful role...so I'd say blodge/tackle linos make good line placements anyway.

The 4 game blitzer would be my #1 choice to go there too, with no dev time lost if that one niggles and zons can always afford the new player.
For zon teams, line is a great place to blood a rookie !

I'd keep the AG4 lino and the MA8 one off the line though, they have real value. Yeh MA5 is a blow but an AG4 blodger is an AG4 blodger: useful (consider pass block on this player for example, and catch on doubles).

People sack nigglers because they're competitive and not especially attached to their players. They do it because they don't want their TR to carry the "weight" of a player who doesn't actually play the match. I think they have a point, if your team is all about the winning that is. That one is your call and I won't advise you on it.
Tinkywinky

Post   Posted: May 05, 2006 - 03:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Amazons should stay away from passing anyway and it is ranked so I think you should fire that niggler. With the same reasoning you should put those linewoman on the LoS: You don't want to get any higher up in TR with amazons and you don't want more reserves than needed to get better matchups at the lower tr.

Post   Posted: May 05, 2006 - 04:06 Reply with quote Back to top

los duty for the niggled so she can die on the pitch and the two Tackle linos, you have a good share of Tackle and Strip Ball and your Blitzer can take Guard and is 80k instead of 50k
Amazons put Blodgers on the los with certain frecuency Wink
Laviak

Post   Posted: May 05, 2006 - 04:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I personally like having one rookie lino that i can pair up against a block-less big guy, (or a low SPP one with just block once your team gets to a high TR). Eventually they'll get hurt, but it's not exactly a big loss, and keeps the big guy from tying up multiple players (this is especially a problem if you don't have a dauntless player / much guard, as it leaves you outnumbered on the rest of the field). I'd buy a brand new lino to fill this role (she can also fill in on the LoS when there are a few blockless players on the other team - pretty rare at TR200). You really want blodgers on the line where possible, but you don't need them to have anything else, so i'd buy one new lino for now, and another later on when the first gets block (with AV7, you're bound to lose a player or 3 at some stage Razz)

Throwers - well, all i'm going to say is that the 51 SPP roll seems to fail an awful lot for my guys, think about what you will do if the second throwe niggles too - imho you probably need to replace one of them at that point... good luck with it Smile

All in all though, it looks like a pretty solid team - maybe look at dauntless and/or frenzy next time you roll a doubles - it's great to have one of each if you get the chance. Guard is nice, but sometimes there are other skills that end up being more useful.

Spaceman_Spiff

Post   Posted: May 05, 2006 - 04:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Bacillin: The 'lesser lights' of my team these days seem to be my catchers and blitzers. heck, my linewomen are better blitzers than my blitzers. and i'll be damned if i'm putting 2 single skill catchers on the line, and blitzers... annoyingly expensive to replace. I lose quite a bit so my FF tends to be low. in fact this is the highest it's been in probably 30 games. as for ag+ I cant rely on them. I seem to have a nasty curse with with any player who rolls ag+. they have a tendancy to die after so far an average of 3 games. the fact that this one has survived 7 being put on the line astounds me.
as for being competitive, I am not in the slightest. I play for fun and team development, and in the case of the zonz, practice for TT. especially since i'm one of the lowest rated teams in my league sitting around 190. others go up as high as 310.

Tinkywinky: I thought about your comment on the amazons passing game, and you're quite right. I realized that i rarely if ever make those long passes and much prefer the running/bashing game. however. If i ditch that thrower, I not only lost my only Surehands player, but the option of making those long passes becomes quite risky. I like to keep my options open but will think more on your advice.

Laviak: As much as I rarely have problems dealing with big guys (khemri are one of my favorite teams to beat up/get beat up by) a cheap lino to tie up annoying players is a good idea and along the lines of what i was thinking with getting expendable line fodder.
as for losing a player or 3, I seem to have very good luck when it comes to losing players. only 4 deaths (all of which the apo failed) and a handfull of niggles/stat-'s about half of which are aging. and thats even with playing a number of games vs Dwarves/CD/Khemri.
I choose guard frequently because it suits the way I play much better than dauntless/frenzy, both of which i am afraid of. I have bad enough in game luck as it is, and I dont like the idea of skills that I have to roll for just to make them work (and again, no problem dealing with stronger opponenet), and skills that FORCE me to do something I may not want to do if I want to hit. just my personal preference.
as for the 51spp aging thingy, I'll be keeping that in mind for sure. I'll not be too keen on replacing my other thrower, but I cant afford to not skill her up to get sure hands. I need another one. but thats my fault for not giving sure hands to anyone else.

thanks for the advice so far, feel free to keep it coming.

Last edited by Spaceman_Spiff on %b %05, %2006 - %05:%May; edited 1 time in total
Spaceman_Spiff

Post   Posted: May 05, 2006 - 04:57 Reply with quote Back to top

*edited* sorry, I gotta stop smoking so much dope....
LordSnotball

Post   Posted: May 11, 2006 - 00:13 Reply with quote Back to top

here's a different line of thought for a thrower... when one day you do ditch a thrower, consider getting hail mary pass as a skill. your thrower takes the ball and runs deep in your end, and suddently your opponent is split in 3. does he slaughter the LoS, chase your catchers running in deep or chase the thrower... and Hail mary pass is highly under-rated i reckon...

and catchers get diving catch anyway, so hell, why not!

now, let the flames and 'bad idea' posts come!

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
Oblitzamanger

Post   Posted: May 11, 2006 - 00:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I actually agree with Lord Snotball. Hail mary is an underrated skill, although a really good player who is not under pressure to score would cream your catchers then work the line of scrimage, leaving your stranded Hail mary passer to sit and watche her team be destroyed. Are there any Hail mary threads? I may start one on how to correctly use and defend against it. (It wouldn't be all me either. I want advice on how to use it too as well as putting my own two cents in.)

Anyway, your Amazon team is good, especially at that TR. Keep the thrower and use the Blodging tacklers as linefodder. An inexperienced coach would put non-blockers on the Los and get smashed. Besides, those Zons only get knocked down 1/6. If you must, sack the niggler and get rookie thrower sure hands as fast as possible, although I advise against this as you have many more options in front of you.

You could cage your +ag linewoman with some guarding blodging blitzers whilst keeping your passers nearby. Send the catchers downfield on one side and the cage down another. So when your cage breaks, which hopefully doesn't happen and sometimes might not, toss the ball to the cathers. Your opponent can't defend against both a cage and catchers. Of course, this would take really good positioning...

But of course, what do I know?

That means you.
 Jump to: