38 coaches online • Server time: 16:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IV
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Bascrebolder

Post   Posted: May 17, 2006 - 09:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I am totally new to coaching wood-elves. I just created a team with 1 WD 10 line elves, 2 RR´s and 8 FF. Í´m planning on buying an apothacary as soon as possible and get all my lino´s at least one completion fast!

I have always considered wood-elves weaker than either the dark or high variant of elves. You always need lots of Line-elves and imho the huge drop from AV8 to AV7 is not compensated by an increase in MA.

Can any of you please tell me how to change my play if I change from playing darkies to woodies.
*How can I best utilize the higher movement allowances?
*How to use the Tree and the Wardancers best?
*How to survive with AV7 and expensive players?
*How to prevent my catchers from hogging all the SPP´s?
*What to buy and when?

All ideas and advice are welcome.
Bas
Synn

Post   Posted: May 17, 2006 - 09:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Never expect to bash.....you should end each of your turns with every guy outside a TZ. Use the wardancer and any dauntless cacthers to blitz other guys free to roam around. Woodies can not afford to get pinned down as it highlights their crap AV and limits their speed. As soon as you buy that apoth.... expect to start buying linos. Make sure you win each game and don't be afraid to grab some MB on the dancer. A high FF is helpful when you realize that GFIs and failed dodges kill you.

Also.... on linos, take dodge before block. You should not be making more than 3 blocks a turn with woodies... aside from your whacking pole known as a tree.

__Synn
heinz

Post   Posted: May 17, 2006 - 09:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Some guidelines - follow links at the bottom to Pacs article in Grotty Little Newspaper (2 parts).

Post   Posted: May 17, 2006 - 10:00 Reply with quote Back to top

What yo dont need to buy at all (maybe as a luxury later on) imho is a thrower. The catchers are the better throwers and cost the same. Two catchers alone can cover the whole field for a back to back pass-hand off td.

Skilling up the linos is important as a good team rises and falls with the quality of its linemen. First buys if you got money to spare should be catchers and the second wardancers.

I would go as far as saying that the first skill you get on a lino should be kick not block or dodge.

Post   Posted: May 17, 2006 - 10:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I like to start a new Team with 1 Wardancer, 2 Catcher, 1 Thrower and the rest are Linos. Cause this Startup is very weak, u have to outrun your opponents. Dodge away form Tacklezones und give Dodge to the linos as first skill. I like to give Block then Side Step to the Catchers. Wardancers with Tackle/Side Step are also nice.
But you have to find out your own way to play Woodies and how to develop them. This are just Basics.
Smile

Post   Posted: May 17, 2006 - 10:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Get a +Ag on both Wardancers... You'll never lose again! You won't need a thrower until you've filled out all positions in my honest opinion since their rookie throwers outclass most 16 spp throwers on any other team... Wardancers are top priority by far after your tree... so my order for you would be Treeman, Wardancer, Catcher, RRx2 then Catchers barring replacements along the way...
Wreckage

Post   Posted: May 17, 2006 - 10:35 Reply with quote Back to top

*How can I best utilize the higher movement allowances?
the best about fast movement is that it allows you fast blitzes into the opposing field, catch the ball and decide the game before it has even started.. As on all fast teams the first answer is also kick....

in offence you just need to run a few squares into the opposing half to be able to score... you don't need to put players on the frontline to get them in td range without gfi

slow teams must always have their guys on the right field in range... woodelves can dodge around tacklezones and are very fast what means even if they are bad positioned you can use them effective ... there will be situations where you will have just 5 guys on the field and your opponent has 11... but with woodies theres always everything possible...

a real help is also a mv9 catcher... movement 7 on everyone is already good but many teams have such guys and it will not be easy to run all of them out... but there's only one other team that has movement 9 and yours is more agile... and it allows you to oneturnscore if you know how, but ask someone else how this works...

*How to use the Tree and the Wardancers best?
the tree always on the frontline... he's a protection for the elves... just two elves can get hurt... let him stand around... like on every other big guy you have to be carefull to use him... and using him as the last guy in the turn will be a wise decision... in offence you can consider to use him as a part of a cage in the opposing field because you havent to move far into there to be able to score and position the other players around him

for wardancers there are two possible strategies ... the really effective suizide strategy ( i wouldnt use this) this means: first skill strip ball... then leap into a cage, knock down the ballcarrier, take the ball, dodge out of all tacklezones and run to the td line.... this might work.... it really could... you will probably fail and probably the wardancer will not die if you try it and fall to the ground but probably the wardancer will have 4 opposing players standing around him while he's lying alone on the pitch... and these opposing players will be really scared by what the wardancer has tried... and you can imagine what happens next....

id prefer to use him from the second line ... protect him with lineman... just let him come into action if there is a good a chance... an uncaged opponent or a ball lying on the pitch... and if there is no need to use him use another guy... you might consider using him more agressive if you are running out of time and succeding the game depends on him....

*How to survive with AV7 and expensive players?
Obviously, the av7 means you are unable to survive... its always a question of luck at a certain point... try to get skills that help you surving (block, dodge, side step)... your ballplaying game is already perfect and needs not that much attention. You will see that it is really difficult to play such a team on the long run because its hard to get enough money from the games... so do everything to get a maximum of money and a minimum of losses

i wouldnt always dodge.. if you have block on the player and no dodge or the opponent has tackle (and no SF) or you can make a two die block try to push him away instead of dodging.... but if you stand in several tacklezones and cant get rid of all it might be wiser to run and position the player at a safer place.... you really should try to be tacklezone free at the end of your turn

*How to prevent my catchers from hogging all the SPP´s?
well you dont need them to score ..especially on the 3:0 and 4:0... every member of the team can score... overrun the defense with several players... maybe your catcher will be stopped maybe one of the other guys but its impossible to stop woodies from scoring at all.... better hope your leaping wardancer (you shouldnt use leap as long you dont have ag5 and there is any way to prevent it) dont accumulates to many spp at all...

*What to buy and when?
difficult decision... you dont have enough money.... 13 players help to survive... rerolls help to survive... wardancers and catchers are the overkill, they give you so much advantage noone can stop you anymore.... so you dont really need them (maybe one of both... nah maybe two wardancer because they are good survivors)... try lineman... try a tree if you can afford it...
RandomOracle

Post   Posted: May 17, 2006 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

xcver wrote:
What yo dont need to buy at all (maybe as a luxury later on) imho is a thrower. The catchers are the better throwers and cost the same. Two catchers alone can cover the whole field for a back to back pass-hand off td.

What the...? Catchers may be faster, but they have no pass reroll and get no access to passing skills. If you're relying on a pass/hand off routine, you may be in for a rude awakening when you're opponent blitzes/marks the second catcher and all other intermediate players. Good luck throwing that long pass with no pass, accurate or safe throw that a decent thrower would have.

Against other elves, especially at higher TR, a decent thrower is pretty much a necessity. He's also very useful even at low TRs, because the pass reroll makes a world of difference. I also wouldn't worry about him hogging all the completions, 7 MA, AG 4 players are the easiest linos in the game to skill up.
Panda_

Post   Posted: May 17, 2006 - 11:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I remember there is a fabulous article in the GLN (one of the last GLN).

And the userguide provide also very good advices.

Post   Posted: May 17, 2006 - 11:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd agree with almost everything written above, these are the lessons I've learnt from having to build my now 4th Welf Team (And this one's actually lasting)

Best way to spread your SPPs around away from your positionals is to not have any positionals. 1 Tree, 10 Lineelves (Or 11 Lineelves) will work, as long as you are careful with your first few games, and don't go challenging any Dwarves for the easy win. (You'll definately win, you may just never play again)

First Three LineElves take Dodge, then next Kick, then start thinking about Block.

I have a team, where first double took Frenzy, then Guard after that on any Doubles for lineelves, just to help you get out of bashfests. The Frenzy prevents opponents forming cheap-as 3 man cages on the sideline, forcing them to use full cages to protect the ball, leaving less players to maim your AV7 fodder. Dont buy any positionals until you have at least 10 skills on your lineelves, and that should give you a good core of players.

The true use of speed is just as much in defence as offence. On a team where anyone can achieve 2 Turn TDs, your catchers (except for one OTS) are for defence. Dauntless, Block, StripBall, SideStep, Diving Tackle are your friends here (and MV9 Daunt, MultiBlock, Leap presents a tactical nightmare if one scores 2 doubles on their SPP rolls). Any WarDancers rolling Stat Increases are to be protected at all costs as they make unstoppable safeties.

Trees are basically roadblocks, and used for crowd control. Block is essential on the first double (Sometimes even on 6+6), then guard and MultiBlock to try cause as much carnage as possible. Any Tree that dosent have either Block or +MV by 31SPPs should probably be recycled if you have the cash (But thats a big if).

Finally, from my own experience, Woodelves can score even 3, 4 or even more players down, so dont be affraid to keep 2 or 3 nigglers on roster to take the LoS pounding. This will help you stretch your bank account further in replacing positionals above 200TR.

Post   Posted: May 17, 2006 - 12:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Misschien ook eens hier kijken.

http://www.blood-bowl.net/Tactics/BBTactics.html

Jazz
epox

Post   Posted: May 17, 2006 - 12:40 Reply with quote Back to top

cr33p
LordSnotball

Post   Posted: May 17, 2006 - 13:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll just add that for armour 8+ teams u need 13 players, for AV 7, you would be better off with 14...

but in the long run, woodies, like all elves, need work to learn how to play... its will take quite a few matches to achieve that...

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
HolyG

Post   Posted: May 17, 2006 - 13:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with most points, but i usually go for hit hard and hit fast, if your 1 foul per half can remove a big guy os some other nasty dude then do it, if you can manipulate some crowd surfing then do it, if you have 50k park and 14 players then Line up that fireball dude, but don't turn the game into foul frenzy or you'll get a creaming.

Oh and Guard wherever you can, if you have a litte already I like to take a leader and ditch a re roll to balance things out a little.

Oh I usually cherrypick as well as playing dirty....Whatever it takes to keep them alive and win.
xcver

Post   Posted: May 17, 2006 - 13:32 Reply with quote Back to top

The back to back td was theoretical of course. normal wood elf offense relies on just one pass and i like to do it when the players havent advanced at all (but after the critical blitz to clear the path). so you'll usually have two 2+ rolls with one team reroll to pick it up and pass it...if you roll 2 1's out of 3 rolls your most likely screwed anyway.

Of course as the team progresses it's nice to have one player with accurate/safe throw. but that's nothing for the starting wood elf team imo.

RandomOracle wrote:
xcver wrote:

What the...? Catchers may be faster, but they have no pass reroll and get no access to passing skills. If you're relying on a pass/hand off routine, you may be in for a rude awakening when you're opponent blitzes/marks the second catcher and all other intermediate players. Good luck throwing that long pass with no pass, accurate or safe throw that a decent thrower would have.

Against other elves, especially at higher TR, a decent thrower is pretty much a necessity. He's also very useful even at low TRs, because the pass reroll makes a world of difference. I also wouldn't worry about him hogging all the completions, 7 MA, AG 4 players are the easiest linos in the game to skill up.