26 coaches online • Server time: 08:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Macavity

Post   Posted: May 22, 2006 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I make sure to keep 2 throwers, 4 Blitzers, and 3 linos active (plus the Ogre), so no one important is on the LOS, but I always keep catchers around.

Human teams have two advantages: higher than average movement, and MORE STARTING SKILLS. I do put catchers in the opponents half, but I put blitzers there to. Catchers are blodging with one skill, Side-stepping with one more, and have a surprisingly good shelf-life. One double or Stat increase, and you get monsters (doubles being dauntless most of the time), who last just fine. I have a catcher currently, who got -AV just after his 1st skill, and refuses to die.

The key, as always with humans, is to play the positions. Blitzers need to blitz, catchers need to go deep, and linos sit on the line.

Post   Posted: May 22, 2006 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Catchers are awesome defenders. Sidestep-Blodge-Divingtackle at 31 spps makes them a real pain if you can stick them to the ball.

Just expect them to die in the process.

Post   Posted: May 22, 2006 - 15:59 Reply with quote Back to top

and if they survive one more skill, getting Shadowing is hilarious!

Post   Posted: May 22, 2006 - 16:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, and of course Dauntless on doubles! (hi Mac!!!!)

Post   Posted: May 22, 2006 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

70k in a not expensive team... and Dodge great potential for scoring to get Block, Sidestep...
They are not so frail and they are threatening

Suggestion: move them 4-5 squares in your opponent's half, a couple in one side and try to get your Blitzers free of tackle zones yuo may as well have a third one behind the Blitzers (and Ogre?)
outcomes:
1 your opponent marks the catchers. That's 4! players in one side to be really efective, with fewer it takes a blitz to free one
2 your opponent blitzes and marks the catchers (most efective). That can be done with as few as 2 players... if he's lucky and you knew where the blitz was done, and your blitzers where free so you can probably bash a little. If he's not lucky, he may waste the blitz and need again all the 4 players

That's just to show a different option, I think that Human catchers just give extra versatility to a team that makes a live of it.
Furious_George

Post   Posted: May 22, 2006 - 16:15 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=2524107
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=2524112

My two best Catchers, both designed for forays into the opposition half, they take at least 3 men each to effectively mark them due to NOS, which means I can easily win the scrimmage on the line, if theyre ignored, simple pass and TD. They dont need to do their job to have the right effect on the game, just being there makes an opponent reconsider his strategy, and can divide his forces between bashing you and covering potential scorers.

"Hugh Mann eh? Now theres a name I can trust!"
Me Loves Futurama
Arktoris

Post   Posted: May 22, 2006 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Lots of good advice already given.

In short, catchers are wonderful when you need to dodge someone out of a tackle zone and move across the board to help with anything; either as an assist to a block, screen for the ball carrier, to foul a player right off your planet, or to bolt into the endzone for a quick TD...basically anything. That 8 movement will drive your opponent nuts.

And for 70k and wonderful SPP generating skills, replacing them isn't difficult.

Last edited by Arktoris on %b %22, %2006 - %18:%May; edited 1 time in total
Uber

Post   Posted: May 22, 2006 - 18:18 Reply with quote Back to top

They're always one roll away from being great: +ag makes them amazing ballhandlers, +st almost turns them into an extra blitzer, +ma gives you a shot at a one-push ots, a double and dauntless is almost as good as +st, and just a few normal skill rolls will make them blodge/ss/dt nuisances.

Post   Posted: May 22, 2006 - 18:32 Reply with quote Back to top

wrong button pushed