80 coaches online • Server time: 23:33
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MelchiorX

Post   Posted: May 23, 2006 - 18:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, i like coaching orcs but everytime i encounter a team with a notable number of STR5+ i seem to panic. this means the prospect of undead etc is a bit daunting to me and Ogres a particular achilles heel. what should i do to beat them (especially if i only have 2 BO's)?
Pardus

Post   Posted: May 23, 2006 - 18:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Dauntless & Guard.
Plorg

Post   Posted: May 23, 2006 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Tie them up by putting one expendable player next to each one.
Zombies are perfect for this. Block zombies are better.
If there is a goblin that you can attack without leaving players in Ogre TZ's, then attack the goblin and foul it.
If no goblins are handy, individually target one Ogre on the flanks or otherwise with many TZ squares available for many of your players to assist.
Knock the Ogre down and foul it.
If your valuable players are dodgy and in Ogre TZ's, dodge them out.
Repeat.
It is like peeling an onion. Many layers, and they can make you cry.
Gebannus

Post   Posted: May 24, 2006 - 01:50 Reply with quote Back to top

This is why ogre coaches get lots of break tackle Very Happy

Post   Posted: May 24, 2006 - 02:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I advise you to kick them in the groin when they are not looking. I do this to Macavity everytime he starts telling me how good his terrible football team is.

Jeffro
Borgen

Post   Posted: May 24, 2006 - 02:33 Reply with quote Back to top

sounds like orcs have made you one-dimensional. the way you think about winning games is by beating the opposition into the ground. For orcs, this works for most teams but not all. Against ogres, you can outball them so win the game that way. Dont let them score by restricting their movement instead of by knocking them down. Ogres are actually pretty crap and fairly harmless (bone head, lack of block...), they should be an easy win for orcs if you dont try to outbash them

Post   Posted: May 24, 2006 - 02:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I tend to play ogres by sucking them all in when you're attacking then have the blitzers fly by leaving them tied up in TZ's. If you get 3 or 4 ogres tied up, some are always going to bonehead meaning you can tighten around them. Its a bit easier with this style when every orc has block and you have a good block troll too. Hopefully if you can get them desperate enough the goblins will come chasing your blitzers giving you a free go at removing them from play for the next drive.
nin

Post   Posted: May 24, 2006 - 02:51 Reply with quote Back to top

2 BOBs... low TR I supose, that means many gobos and few RRs for the Ogres... make them roll, use the blitz a gobo every turn tactic (variant of blitz a skink anti-lizard) (you probably have 4 Blitzers).
Instead of slow cages, move quick, with mv5 and bone head that means few ogres can folow you.

good luck, I think Ogres are a funny race.
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: May 24, 2006 - 03:24 Reply with quote Back to top

The best thing to play Ogres with are Halflings! My game last night has seen my Donut Boys go 11/1/1 vs Ogres!

Sure, lots of pain, but winning's the easy bit Smile
Oblitzamanger

Post   Posted: May 24, 2006 - 03:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm scared silly of Chaos simply because they essentially have St 4 all around. Ogres I'm not worried about since they have bone head and most coaches don't use them effectively (not that I'm an expert or anything). Besides, they have a tendency to get dice-raped by bone head rolls and poor 3 dice blocks. With few or no ball handling re-rolls for them, you can just outplay them with reliable players.

Undead are different I play them because they are slow enough and their fast ones break easily. Chaos just scare me though. Listen to these guys! They know hwta they're talking about. Especially Blocking Zombies. But for orcs, don't use your BOBs to tie down Ogres, then they tie you down. If you can knock one down with a BOB, go for it, but stay away from them otherwise.

That means you.
shagga

Post   Posted: May 24, 2006 - 04:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Last time I played ogres my stand firm, dodge, block blitzer really caused them problems. Its all about making them throw lots of dice and ultimately the dice will take their toll.
Laviak

Post   Posted: May 24, 2006 - 04:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Lav's tips for beating ogres:
- spread your guys out -- if the ogres can only zone 1 player each, you should end up with some players free to move around
- try to tie up the ogres that lack block so that there is more chance that a RR will be "wasted" (and most ogre teams at low TR don't have a lot of them to go around).
- you can beat up on the goblins when they're not hiding - blitzer with tackle does a fine job of it.
- you can use a DP to foul an ogre when it's prone - all that armour does nothing against a good gang-foul.... but watch out that you don't get your team surrounded in an ogre cage
- you can use players with block to hit ogres at 2d against ... most times they'll end up out of the way (rough stats are: 25% knocked down, 30% you go down, 45% pushback .. something like that anyway) - it's about the same as dodging with AG3, and there is a chance of knocking the buggers over, so it can be worthwhile...
- after a while they will fail bonehead rolls - makes it much easier to gang up on a few of them, and very easy to re-form a cage in a safer location if you need to.

imho, ogres are one of the easier teams to win against (now that they don't have easy access to block/tackle) ... though they can do a bit of damage, so you need to have a few expendable players to tie them up with.

Oblitzamanger

Post   Posted: May 24, 2006 - 04:41 Reply with quote Back to top

What Laviak said. Perfect by the way. That should be in the User Guide.

That means you.
MelchiorX

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 16:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice one guys - I knew I could count on the FUMBBL pros helping me out! Razz
MelchiorX

Post   Posted: May 30, 2006 - 01:10 Reply with quote Back to top

And after practicing a bit i'm feeling a lot better about it - bring on the ogres!
 Jump to: