34 coaches online • Server time: 10:54
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What do you think of Coach Ratings
Just a number of useless meaning ???
8%
 8%  [ 7 ]
Just an Ego Issue for some Coaches ???
62%
 62%  [ 49 ]
Just causes more Cherrypicking ???
29%
 29%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 79

OverDose

Post   Posted: May 29, 2006 - 11:55 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
Overdose, I'll gladely "cherrypick" you (since I must be a cherrypicker).
You must've misunderstood. I did not say that every coach with a 50 % win percentage and high CR are cherry pickers. I said that even though it is rare, some coaches with low win percentage and high CR cherry pick.

edit.
sk8bcn wrote:
Vanguard however has a specific profile. He won smacks. Question is, can he stay at his ranking or not?
I dunno but I've seen him play ; )

And seriously, how can a coach with a ranking of 94 rise to 150 in a few matches?

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=coach&op=development&coach=6052
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: May 29, 2006 - 12:02 Reply with quote Back to top

OverDose wrote:

And seriously, how can a coach with a ranking of 94 to 160 in a few matches?

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=coach&op=development&coach=6052

ranking reset!

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=coach&op=development&coach=1521 Laughing
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: May 29, 2006 - 12:03 Reply with quote Back to top

94: too bad it was before the reset. The recordopedia doesn't save these records?

ps: yes Overdose, I mis-understood you. My apologies.

Post   Posted: May 29, 2006 - 16:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Just dont compare winn % to ranking, you will only missread it, its foolish.
pac

Post   Posted: May 29, 2006 - 17:05 Reply with quote Back to top

To examine only Coach Rating is like looking at a player and looking only at the number of casualties that player has caused (for example) - and nothing else about it whatsoever. By itself it's not very useful information.

If the player has caused no casualties, it might not be dangerous - it might be a Thrower who never blocks. Or it might be a Mummy, which just hasn't played any games yet. Without looking at more information, you have no way to judge.

If the player has caused quite a lot of casualties, you still don't know quite how or why that came about. It could indicate lots of bashy skills, or it could be a lucky streak. It could be that this is the coach's favourite player with whom he prefers to blitz each turn. Or it could just indicate a very large number of games played and blocks thrown.

To consider win% alongside Coach Rating adds a little more information - like looking at number of blocks thrown as well as number of casualties caused - but it's still not very enlightening. There are a large number of possible explanations for a player with an unusually high or low rate of casualties per block, just as there is an extremely wide variety of explanations for why a coach might have a CR and win% which seem out of kilter with one another.

In short: if you only examine two variables, taken from a complex system, in isolation, you can hardly be surprised when the data throws up patterns you can't explain.

In even shorter: what Fischerking said. Smile

Post   Posted: May 29, 2006 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
To examine only Coach Rating is like looking at a player and looking only at the number of casualties that player has caused (for example) - and nothing else about it whatsoever. By itself it's not very useful information.

If the player has caused no casualties, it might not be dangerous - it might be a Thrower who never blocks. Or it might be a Mummy, which just hasn't played any games yet. Without looking at more information, you have no way to judge.

If the player has caused quite a lot of casualties, you still don't know quite how or why that came about. It could indicate lots of bashy skills, or it could be a lucky streak. It could be that this is the coach's favourite player with whom he prefers to blitz each turn. Or it could just indicate a very large number of games played and blocks thrown.

To consider win% alongside Coach Rating adds a little more information - like looking at number of blocks thrown as well as number of casualties caused - but it's still not very enlightening. There are a large number of possible explanations for a player with an unusually high or low rate of casualties per block, just as there is an extremely wide variety of explanations for why a coach might have a CR and win% which seem out of kilter with one another.

In short: if you only examine two variables, taken from a complex system, in isolation, you can hardly be surprised when the data throws up patterns you can't explain.

In even shorter: what Fischerking said. Smile

CR is IMO has a close correlation to coaching skill. It's not all but strongly linked. I don't think that that 180 is wayyyyy better than that 170, but certainly better than that 140. Not 100% sure. yes! but very very likely.