28 coaches online • Server time: 01:10
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Who is your tip for the World Cup?
Brazil!
30%
 30%  [ 54 ]
England - but they need Rooney
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
England - who needs Rooney?
8%
 8%  [ 16 ]
Germany!
15%
 15%  [ 28 ]
Sweden! ... well, you never know
10%
 10%  [ 18 ]
Italy - it's not just Serie A they can fix!
6%
 6%  [ 12 ]
U.S.A - U.S.A. - U.S.A.
8%
 8%  [ 16 ]
Other - (apologies for limited poll options) ...
17%
 17%  [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 179

pac

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2006 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Now really ... If this were a competition the Americans were involved in, the forums would be awash with World Cup discussion by now! Oh wait - they <i>are</i> involved! No excuses then!

Could it be that the English, German and Swedish (amongst others) fans around here are too coy about their chances to post? Well anyway, here is my expert (Confused) analysis of the teams as they line up for the group stages:

<b>Group A:</b> <i>Costa Rica, Ecuador, Germany, Poland</i>

<i>Costa Rica</i> are not widely fancied, but have only ever been beaten by Brazil in first round group matches. Then again they've never got past the second round either. The present team is an attack-oriented side, which may help them cause some surprises in the group stage. (500-1 for the tournament - UK betting odds from Monday)

<i>Ecuador</i> were magnificent in qualification, but owed a lot to their home performances in Quito, 2,800 metres above sea level. A team featuring such Premiership 'stars' as Ulises de la Cruz (Villa reject) and Agustin Delgado (Southampton reject) may prove to be out of their depth. (400-1)

I predicted that <i>Germany</i> would not escape their group at the last World Cup, and I'm still convinced that they shouldn't have done ... With Michael Ballack their only truly top-class player, it's hard to see how they can prosper, but a combination of home support and minimal pressure due to low national expectations could yet work wonders. (8-1)

<i>Poland</i> were high-scorers in qualifying, but their back four can look statuesque at times. The dropping of Jerzy Dudek and Tomasz Frankowski has caused controversy to the point that the coach was summoned to explain to the Polish Prime Minister. Perhaps too much turmoil and too little quality in the squad to cause any major upsets. (100-1)

Group prediction: Expect goals and surprises in a group featuring a couple of carefree attacking teams in Poland and Costa Rica - one or both of whom is bound to throw away a great chance to eliminate the hosts.

Predicted qualifiers: <i>Germany</i> and <i>Costa Rica</i>.

<b>Group B:</b> <i>England, Paraguay, Sweden, Trinidad & Tobago</i>

It is very hard to take my partisan hat off when considering <i>England</i>, but I will do my best. In terms of personnel, they surely feature the strongest squad of the European teams, with an enviable defensive and midfield four. Questions remain as to how effective all these acclaimed players can be alongside one another. The squad selection has also been a little mystifying, with a range of moderate back-up midfielders (Jermaine Jenas, Owen Hargreaves) preferred to options up front. Peter Crouch is effective, and an ideal foil for Michael Owen, and this combination should prove sufficient to comfortably progress through the group. Ultimately though, the hype is not mistaken: any chances of success at the tournament rest upon the Lazarus-like powers of recovery of the boy-wonder, Wayne Rooney. (13-2)

<i>Paraguay</i> enjoy a reputation as dogged defenders, but in fact much of their veteran defence has moved on, including characterful, free-kick-taking 'keeper José Luis Chilavert. The current side play a more attacking style, but have looked vulnerable at set pieces in pre-tournament friendlies, which is a weakness neither England nor Sweden will hesitate to exploit. That said, it would be a surprise if Paraguay failed to take a point off <i>either</i> of the European sides, but which one will they upset ...? (200-1)

Judging from the tone in #fumbbl, fans of <i>Sweden</i> aren't confident of anything beyond that England will fail to beat them (as usual). With Larsson unlikely to last 90 minutes (despite impressing in cameo in the Champions League final), Zlatan in poor form for Juve, and Freddie Ljungberg carrying a foot injury, it's not hard to see why little is expected. An ageing defence reliant on the likes of Olof Mellberg and lacking a recognised right-back will limit their ultimate progress. (40-1)

Okay, I know that we all have to spout platitudes about there not being any easy games in international football, and about how the teams from outside South America and Europe are <i>not</i> just there to make up the numbers any more, but <i>Trinidad & Tobago</i> really do fit the cliché of a team who are 'happy just to be here'. To see them enjoy any success at all would be great entertainment - as long as it isn't against us! (1000-1)

Group prediction: Despite nerves and moments of embarrassment, England and Sweden should qualify comfortably, before playing out a nice quiet 1-1 in which neither is prepared to risk their players for the sake of a better place in the draw.

Predicted qualifiers: <i>England</i> and <i>Sweden</i>.

<b>Group C:</b> <i>Argentina, Netherlands, Ivory Coast, Serbia & Montenegro</i>

FIFA's crack-down list given to referees ahead of the World Cup targets: diving; elbowing; reckless fouls; shirt-pulling; time-wasting; dissent; behaviour in walls; and wearing jewellery. If there are any teeth to this dictat, then <i>Argentina</i> could be in trouble! This side has not changed vastly from the one which, at the last World Cup, gave the impression of buying into their own hype, and again they find themselves in a very difficult group. If they buckle down and work hard enough to progress, anything is possible. (8-1)

The <i>Netherlands</i> qualified unbeaten, but do not quite have the calibre of player in the squad that we have come to expect. At least they have a coach with the sense to drop Clarence Seedorf though. The Dutch will be desperate to be at their best on German soil, and the team seems to have fewer cliques and ego-clashes than usual, but a lot will depend on the mood of Van Nistelrooy in his lone striker role. (12-1)

<i>Ivory Coast</i> may not be a name you know - indeed, this is their first World Cup - but they feature players you do, such as Arsenal's Kolo Touré and Emmanuel Eboué, and Chelsea's Didier Drogba. Every member of their squad plays European club football, predominantly in France. Though Cup of Nations finalists, and a very-disciplined counter-attacking unit, it would still be asking a lot of them to achieve much in their first tournament appearance. (50-1)

With the recent secession of the Montenegrins, this will be the last outing for the excessively long name of <i>Serbia & Montenegro</i>. English observers may expect little, not least because no Serb has ever successfully established himself in Premiership football - Mateja Kezman and Savo Milosevic being amongst the past failures, but Nemanja Vidic hoping to buck the trend at Man United - but the team qualified ahead of Spain and possess a determined defence and creative midfield centring on Inter's Dejan Stankovic. (100-1)

Group prediction: This is such a cruelly tough group ... Any of the four teams is capable of gracing the latter stages, but only two can make it, and each of the teams has reasons both for hope and for doubt. Far too close to call (except that I'm going to do exactly that ...).

Predicted qualifiers: <i>Netherlands</i> and <i>Serbia & Montenegro</i>.

<b>Group D:</b> <i>Angola, Iran, Mexico, Portugal</i>

<i>Angola</i> are another team in their first World Cup. A well-organised side which features one English-based player: Rui Marques of Hull City! All attention is on their opening match against former colonial rulers Portugal. A morale-boosting performance or result there could inspire them to qualification ... but don't count on it. (750-1)

The statements of President Ahmadinejad of <i>Iran</i> in a visit to Germany ahead of the tournament have drawn all eyes away from the country's actual team. Mehdi Mahdavikia - scorer of the winner against the USA in 1998 - leads a small contingent of Bundesliga players, but the squad as a whole lacks experience at this level. (500-1)

<i>Mexico</i> are always a bit of a mystery to followers of European club football, as so few of their players - just three members of the squad, including Bolton's Jared Borgetti - come to play on this side of the water. It is easy to forget that Mexico has a huge, thriving league of its own from which to draw considerable talent. That said, they have never gone further than the quarter finals, and that only when they themselves were hosts. Despite the absence of Cuauhtémoc Blanco - the 'mad dog' of Mexican football - expect some moments to savour (such as the magnificent Borgetti header against Italy in the last World Cup - one of my personal favourite goals ever) before they depart. (50-1)

Is this the last chance for the Golden Generation of <i>Portugal</i> to win a major trophy? Er, no - most of those 'golden' players have long since retired, despite Figo still vainly clinging on. Their best opportunity was let slip two years ago, and the more experienced opponents they will face later in the competition have no excuse for not being familiar with Portugal's attacking system - Figo, Deco and Ronaldo messing about behind a lonely-looking Pauleta. Deeper in midfield, neither Maniche nor Costinha have made too many regular club appearances this year, and their condition will be critical. (20-1)

Group prediction: One of Angola and Iran to get a deceptively encouraging result in their opening match ... but then fall apart.

Predicted qualifiers: <i>Mexico</i> and <i>Portugal</i>.

<b>Group E:</b> <i>Czech Republic, Ghana, Italy, United States</i>

Ever the dark horses, for key <i>Czech Republic</i> players like Pavel Nedved, Tomas Galasek and Jan Koller, this will almost certainly be their last appearance on the big stage. An attractive style with attacking full backs asks a lot of Petr Cech in goal, and much will depend on whether Milan Baros's headless-chicken act will lead to magnificent goals - as at Euro 2004 - or to very little - as at all other times. (33-1)

<i>Ghana</i> - like all the African qualifiers bar Tunisia - are at their first World Cup and are an unfamiliar name to many. Midfielders Michael Essien and Stephen Appiah are amongst the representatives of the country with whom you may be more familiar. Two of their players play club football in Denmark: so here's a team for you guys to get behind! The coach is focused on defence, but this outlook has let the team down before, as at the African Nations where Zimbabwe beat them 2-1. (250-1)

Under Marcelo Lippi, <i>Italy</i> can be expected to bring their traditional defensive approach, no one having apparently told them that it <i>doesn't seem to work</i> in the knock-out stages these days. Expect any set-back to be blamed on a global conspiracy, as the Italians leap to the assumption that all football in the world is as corrupt as their own league. Will the knowledge that they may return to their club sides after the tournament to find them relegated to Serie C disturb the mood of the squad? (8-1)

Not that any of you over there will care, but the <i>United States</i> are able to field a quite respectable side at the World Cup. Their FIFA ranking of 4th only serves to demonstrate the meaninglessness of FIFA rankings, but they do have plenty of players with experience in European club football. The fitness of key midfielder Claudio Reyna is a worry, however. (80-1)

Group prediction: I can't believe that no African side will reach the second round, and Ghana are my pick to be the ones to do it. The off-pitch fireworks will not be reflected in Italy's on-field performances, and they will get through with a minimum of fuss.

Predicted qualifiers: <i>Ghana</i> and <i>Italy</i>.

<b>Group F:</b> <i>Australia, Brazil, Croatia, Japan</i>

<i>Australia</i> have finally cleared the hurdle of the hated play-off qualifier against the fifth-placed South American side to reach another World Cup. Like the US, they are not to be underestimated, with players from club sides all over Europe. However, there are doubts over each of their very best players: Tim Cahill is recovering from injury; Mark Viduka can be notoriously lazy; and Harry Kewell's record in big games is dreadful. [Edit: I promise not to edit this post to cover myself, but to use 'notorious' twice in the same sentence just demanded to be rectified.] (80-1)

<i>Brazil</i>! The best team in the world. We know it and they know it. Some nations scrabble around to find players good enough to take to the World Cup, but the Brazilians argue over which world-class talents to leave at home. The biggest hurdle most can find to put in their way is a statistic: only once has a South American team won a World Cup in Europe (Brazil in 1958 in Sweden). On the pitch Ronaldo, Adriano, Ronaldinho and Kaka will prove a challenge for most defences to manage to say the least. Things are less formidable at the back - when a team is disappointed not to have Leeds reject Roque Junior available as cover, you have to have doubts - but coach Carlos Alberto is the same man who led them to an underwhelming victory in 1994: so there can be little question that he is prepared to employ negative tactics if and when they are required. It will take something special to stop them. (9-4)

With names like Covic, Kalac, Popovic, Skoko, Viduka ... Hang on a minute, those are all Australian players! The final group match for <i>Croatia</i> against their cousins from down-under is one of the hidden derbies of the tournament. The side lacks any real stand-out players, but a 1-0 victory in Sweden in qualifying is testament to their capabilities. (66-1)

<i>Japan</i> are the strongest team from Asia, with an industrious, disciplined team which just lacks bite going forwards. Brazilian coach Zico has made attempts to inject some flair, but this has then brought criticisms that he does not issue enough instructions ... (200-1)

Group prediction: Brazil to strut their stuff while the rest battle tooth-and-nail for second spot. Croatia have the slight advantage of getting the ordeal of the Brazil match out of the way first.

Predicted qualifiers: <i>Brazil</i> and <i>Croatia</i>.

<b>Group G:</b> <i>France, South Korea, Switzerland, Togo</i>

<i>France</i> come to the World Cup dependent on players - Zidane, Makelele, Thuram - who have retired from international football once already. To a worrying extent, this is the 1998 side eight years on. In Thierry Henry, France possess - for me - the world's greatest current player, but have rarely demonstrated that they are able to deploy a system which uses him to the fullest extent. His performances for Arsenal have shown that when the team around him is not right, Henry cannot carry the big games on his own. Surely though, France will not treat us to such a delightfully abysmal performance as at the last World Cup. (12-1)

Semi-finalists on home turf four years ago, <i>South Korea</i> will want to show that that wasn't just a fluke. While Park Ji-sung has not exactly lit up the Manchester United first team, he hasn't looked out of place either, and should provide the attacking quality needed to supplement a hard-working side. (200-1)

<i>Switzerland</i> were surprise qualifiers after being unbeaten in a tough qualifying group featuring France, Israel and Ireland, and coming through a bitterly-contested play-off against Turkey on away goals. The team plays neatly - although it may lack for a little in attack - and they have already demonstrated their ability to trouble the French in qualifying. (150-1)

<i>Togo</i> were magnificent in qualifying at the expense of Senegal, but have been in and out of crisis since, sacking their coach amidst schisms in the squad. Arsenal signing Emmanuel Adebayor is amongst the names you may have heard of. The team's new German coach only had one match in charge of the side before naming his squad, so progress looks unlikely. (500-1)

Group prediction: The Swiss to stifle France in the opener, but then disappoint in their remaining games while Les Bleus muddle their way through.

Predicted qualifiers: <i>France</i> and <i>South Korea</i>.

<b>Group H:</b> <i>Saudi Arabia, Spain, Tunisia, Ukraina</i>

Perhaps this will be a World Cup in which <i>Saudi Arabia</i> do not completely embarrass themselves, as they did with an 8-0 defeat to Miroslav Klose's head in 2002. More likely, they will provide a perfect foundation for Shevchenko to make his assault on the Golden Boot. (750-1)

<i>Spain</i> bring a hugely-talented squad - they felt able to leave Valencia's Ruben Baraja at home - to Germany, but is it strong enough to alter the age-old pattern of disappointment at World Cups? Raúl has surely seen better days and Xavi is short of matches. Is the answer to look to youth, and much-praised teenager Cesc Fábregas? (12-1)

<i>Tunisia</i> are coached by Roger Lemerre - which gives me the opportunity to refer again to France's display under his direction in 2002 when, as holders, they departed without even scoring a goal. An experienced side will not give anyone an easy time, but looks too limited to progress far. Their pride rests on dispatching Saudi Arabia competently. (400-1)

<i>Ukraine</i> - aka Team Shevchenko - should not be thought-of as a one-man team. Hmm, perhaps I need to rephrase that. But seriously, in a tournament which is packed with disciplined, hard-working, technically-capable sides which lack quality in front of goal, Andriy Shevchenko - the complete striking package - really does provide an edge that could take the team - who were the first European qualifiers for the tournament - a long way in their first World Cup appearance. He'd just better be fit. (66-1)

Group prediction: Shevchenko fails to make it for the Spain match, but reappears to hit five against the Saudis.

Predicted qualifiers: <i>Spain</i> and <i>Ukraine</i>.

--
(Please let me know about any factual errors in there. The poor predictions I'll just have to stand by. Sad )

Last edited by pac on %b %06, %2006 - %16:%Jun; edited 2 times in total
MelchiorX

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2006 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Its all about Italy this year I'm afraid, the omens are just too similar to 82 ton ignore... defensive? You didn't watch the qualifiers then did you, they have played some beautiful stuff recently.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2006 - 16:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Italy won't win this tournament, BUT writing that we always claim something is fixed when it goes wrong is a bit... well, offending.
All those who spectated the Italy vs Korea in 2002 saw what a referee can do... and in the following game Spain was dealt with the same way. Even spanish newspapers like El Pais (who laughed at italian misfortune when Korea did qualify) titled "Italy was right" after the Korean robbery.

Anyway. I think we can make it to quarter finals if we menage to pass as first in our group (I see a 60-70% chance to do so). If we happen to qualify as second, we face Brazil and we are out of it in the first KO round Very Happy

I see Brazil strongly accreditated for the win. Their only weakness is that they KNOW they are the best, so they sometimes become a bit overconfident and can be taken by surprise.Germany, Italy, England and France all could be winners, and imho all with the same slight chance. This cup is Brazil's.

My two cents.

Last edited by JanMattys on %b %06, %2006 - %16:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
Oblitzamanger

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2006 - 16:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Um, your picks suck. I am American so this may be biased... I don't have time now, but I'll post my own picks (which are a little more reasonable, come on! Ghana and Serbia and Montenegro???) later.

That means you.
Borgen

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2006 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Ghana and Italy?!??! Are you mad! I leave on Thursday to Germany to watch the US win their group, the with the Czechs finishing a close second. Round 1 - US and Czech tie 2-2, Italy and Ghana tie 0-0. Round 2 - Czechs win 3-1, US wins 2-1, followed by a riot by italian fans in which borgen narrowly escapes with his life. Round 3 - Czech-Italy 1-1, US beats Ghana 1-0.

All bets are off for the knockout stage, as I wont be around to influence those results

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2006 - 16:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Ps: Under Marcello Lippi's quide we had a streak of 14 consecutive wins in the qualifiers, we won against Holland and Germany in friendly matches, and still have record of 18 straight matches without losses. Don't underestimate us, even if I agree that the defensive approach doesn't work well in 3-matches groups.

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2006 - 16:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Almost agree with you except for group E where I think those teams you listed will be the ones who DONT qualify.

Ghana I think are a happy to be there team again (althoguh admitedly not as bad as togo), while Itlay I think have too much distraction going on at the moment, and to me just dont have the players they have had in the past. The Czechs I think will score goals for fun, I also think they will let tons in, but if ever there was an elfbowl game it would be czechs and brazil. USA, while we all love to take the p*ss out of them, are gettign much better (no not 4th in world better I agree there) and I think there is a lot of the old bias in judgements here
pac

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2006 - 16:13 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
Italy won't win this tournament, BUT writing that we always claim something is fixed when it goes wrong is a bit... well, offending.

Sorry, Jan. Given the state of Italian football at the moment, the opportunity to put the boot in was just too good to pass up. Wink

And I should note that it was not just the last World Cup. There were accusations of conspiracy after they went out of Euro 2004 as well. Is it all baseless? Maybe not - but either way it's certainly very funny. Laughing

As for defensive play - it's easy to impress and play beautifully (assuming you aren't England) against relatively weak opposition in qualification. I expect Italy to revert to type when it comes to the big matches.
pac

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2006 - 16:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Oblitzamanger wrote:
Um, your picks suck. I am American so this may be biased... I don't have time now, but I'll post my own picks (which are a little more reasonable, come on! Ghana and Serbia and Montenegro???) later.

There are always surprises. Rather than picking the favourites in every case - which would do little to generate debate - I've tried to guess where those surprises will be.
Jeppan

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2006 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Serbia has a very strong team and I would not be surprised at all if they went through.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2006 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, I somehow missed Ukraine's qualification! GO MOTHERLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I assume I'll be cheering for France and/or Germany before long, though Wink

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2006 - 16:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Missed group C, think the opposite for that, argentina are just to good to go out in the group stage and I (and everybody else) tip ivory coast for the dark horse award. Holland yet again will start fighting in the squad and underperform, but atleast if they loose in the groups they wont loose a penalty shootout again!
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2006 - 16:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I see Holland (among the biggies) and USA (among the lesser) being the best surprises in the World cup.
Holland is not as good as the Brazil-Germany-Italy-France-England lot, but I think they have a VERY good team and a very good coach (Van Basten, that is).

USA has improved quite a bit lately and their enthusiasm can breach through older and more traditional teams. USA can really decide who will proceed to the KO: Italy, Czechs or USA themselves.

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2006 - 16:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the Dutch will perform like they always do. Start off really, really bad. Then miraculously get through the group matches. Then slowly start to perform ok, until they go down in either the quarter of semi finals.

Still, I could also see Ivory Coast squeezing in before the Netherlands to go through.

Italy will take home the win, I guess. Especially because they failed so miserably at the last European Championship they will be keen to perform well.

Regards,
Jazz

PS. And I am not from Holland. I am from the Netherlands. It's the Netherlands. Sure, we have two provinces called Nothern and Southern Holland. The country itself is called the Netherlands. (Yeah, I know I am a whiner. Just keep calling it Holland. It is easier to type. Wink )
PPS. And please, no more mentioning penalty shoot-outs.

Last edited by Jazz on %b %06, %2006 - %16:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
Skulll

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2006 - 16:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Brazil is the strongest candidate, if they remember to play as a team, not as skilled individuals.

I hold my thumbs up for Togo, Ghana and the Ivory Coast though. It's about time for African teams to have some real success. And african football is the most entertaining to watch... Why just these three? You got to have some favorites...

Last edited by Skulll on %b %06, %2006 - %16:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
 Jump to: