40 coaches online • Server time: 11:57
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post 1150 - OWA TT Tourna...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Star Rating For My Job (dont vote till i have tryed to help)
15%
 15%  [ 9 ]
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
16%
 16%  [ 10 ]
13%
 13%  [ 8 ]
52%
 52%  [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 59

Nature_Warden

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2006 - 21:36 Reply with quote Back to top

You mean I've made a name for myself already?? Who would've thought all it would take is longwindedness and a tendancy to seek to wholly explain a thought rather then leave it half complete... Further proof I did good to drop out of college to prepare my opinions for a 9 year run at PhD in Philosophy... as for the "Lash" formation it is the last desperate attempt of a failing team involving a mad dash to effectively use your tackle zones to best effect involving dodges and gfis and a random blitz or two! A warning to newbs though the formation is only effective against other newbs or pros who are over-confident! I prefer being Wood Elves when down players... much more effective down surprisingly! Sometimes all an Elf team needs to get their juices flowing is a few quick cases against to get the scoring spree started! Laughing
Fama

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2006 - 21:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Nature_Warden wrote:
You mean I've made a name for myself already?? Who would've thought all it would take is longwindedness and a tendancy to seek to wholly explain a thought rather then leave it half complete... Further proof I did good to drop out of college to prepare my opinions for a 9 year run at PhD in Philosophy... as for the "Lash" formation it is the last desperate attempt of a failing team involving a mad dash to effectively use your tackle zones to best effect involving dodges and gfis and a random blitz or two! A warning to newbs though the formation is only effective against other newbs or pros who are over-confident! I prefer being Wood Elves when down players... much more effective down surprisingly! Sometimes all an Elf team needs to get their juices flowing is a few quick cases against to get the scoring spree started! Laughing

You've got a name for loooong rants without using the enter ( Wink ), which sometimes sound like they're written while you're on an acid trip or something. No offense, of course.

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2006 - 00:07 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
You don't know the 'lash' formation, Pete?

It's where you get <i>lashed</i> - preferably on cheap lager - and then deploy your players with random clicks. Very effective in desperate situations.

thats the name of one of my stratagies, i give my plans names, like ive named the replay of mine and pete's game, its called i kicked his ass and liked it formation

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2006 - 01:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Is it better to kick off or receive against elves if you are a slow team?

__Synn
nurgling

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2006 - 02:50 Reply with quote Back to top

kick! (i wrote receive first, buy hey, is english my first language?)

Last edited by nurgling on %b %19, %2006 - %03:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2006 - 03:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I always opt for receive, because I want first blood.

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2006 - 11:23 Reply with quote Back to top

If you receive you can grind out the first half trying to hurt the puny little fellas , if they are being cheeky they will leave some players on you for you to bash on .
Hopefully then second half the elvesy will be a bit bashed up and less likely to score on you ,more likely for you to be able to stop the runners they send into your half and get the ball back to either score or stall for a win .

How come any team I try to make with elves , humans , skavens is always one bad game away from having to be retired or go through a long and boring recovery ?

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2006 - 01:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting idea on the receive or kick. I played a skaven team recently (with orcs) and proceeded to let them receive the first half off the toss. I forced them to score in 2 turns then started the long slow 6 turn drive to level at end of the half. By the time the first half was done they were down to 9 men at the start of the 2nd, so I then started a 8 turn crawl to win 2-1, by the end of the match there wasn't enough men left on the field to score a one turner as they had no rerolls and were short on Gutter runners.

I like the idea of first blood but if you do mess up the drive when receiving first then it can mean your down 2-0 by early in the second. Swings and roundabouts I guess.
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2006 - 01:27
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

The kick or recieve question is a corker.

Recieving gives you the first 4 blocks to try and cause damage true, BUT if you stall out and score turn 8 (as you probably should if trying to win the game) it gives the opponent 2 rolls to recover the KO'd players. One on their turn 8 and one at the end of the half. Also is the first 4 attacks a really big edge? Likely they will feed you three stiffs on Kick off and protect the players you really want to blitz.

Kicking means they have the chance to stall yuo out and score late (though good play should prevent this) and if you can force a turnover and score turn 8, or force a quick TD and grind down the ptch for a turn8 score it means 1 roll for KO recovery and more likely a player advantage with ball in hand second half.

At this stage I should state which i prefer, but in truth I've never truely decided. Mainly i recieve, but more from force of habit than a belief it is tactically better.

As a side note who'd have thought Thorpes comedy thread would throw up an interesting point!
Synn

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2006 - 02:11 Reply with quote Back to top

c'mon Thorpe...... i already know the answer to this but i am asking you to test you.....

Kick or Receive?

__Synn
Tinkywinky

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2006 - 03:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Dear Thorpe:

Why is it so much more annoying when a bad coach starts his turn with a 1d block and rolls a pow compared to when a good coach makes the same move as a calculated risk in a tight spot?

also: Why does 1d blocks so often end up being RIP:s?

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2006 - 08:37 Reply with quote Back to top

im back!

Tinkywinky wrote:
Dear Thorpe:

Why is it so much more annoying when a bad coach starts his turn with a 1d block and rolls a pow compared to when a good coach makes the same move as a calculated risk in a tight spot?

also: Why does 1d blocks so often end up being RIP:s?

you answered that yourself, the bad coach knows no better, and when it works pepole get annoyed at his insane luck, while as if a top coach does it, its thought of as desperation in a tough spot, and pepole think there doing good to make them do that

1d blocks end in r.i.p's, i honestly dont know why

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2006 - 08:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Synn wrote:
c'mon Thorpe...... i already know the answer to this but i am asking you to test you.....

Kick or Receive?

__Synn

kick
so that when they come forward with the ball, slow moving teams are normally quite powerful, so when they hit a barrier in the back lines, on most occasions they get pummled

recieve
keeps the ball deep for a slow 8 turn touchdown, and kills off all fast teams in waves, making that easier too

i have no affliation with either one synn

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2006 - 09:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Nature_Warden wrote:
"Who are the Vikings? What did they do? Why did they do it?"

I sensed a small helping of racial hatred and a decent dose of ignorance towards the Viking people in the answers to these three, no insult intended naturally... The Viking people are most likely the most misunderstood race in the history of Earth, they were a far cry from the simplistic and barbaric raiding nomads they seem to be painted all to often! They were a formerly nomadic people who as many others did around that era turned from simple scavengers to more advanced agricultural methods and began their slow climb from fighting for survival to fighting to define what the world was and their place in it as any civilized culture would do! Intrigueing digression is that our own cultures have given up on this aspect thanks to an odd tendancy to overwork when with modern technology feeding your family happily only takes about 2 man-hours a day... They actually had one of the more advanced and intrigueing designs for their culture and a more then passing pantheonic polytheistic religion! Smile They did everything you'd expect a recently fallen and now growing dark ages culture to do, they hunted, they married, some wrote poems, some were remarkable artists! Some... happened to really like cutting up people destined for their heaven-like hell for warriors and became raiders... As for why the raiders did it, what you're dealing with is a highly advanced culture which just so happened to be based in a caste like system which as always involved an aggressive "soldier" sort who eventually through the use of advanced weapons and philisophy quashed the resistance to their gentle domination and the roving bands of ne'er do wells only to find nothing left to kill... so they outsourced their deadly habits to lands afar! That's the birth of the crazed madmen we call the Norse... no more crazed or mad I'm certain then the British soldiers in land for training near my home would be without the pacts of allegiance...

again no reading from me. It's really annoying to have to ignore your post because you are unable to press on enter to make some spaces.

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2006 - 09:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Dear Guru,

my whole nation counts on you so please help us!

How can France manage a win against Togo

please please please!