48 coaches online • Server time: 16:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Emphasy

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 13:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Please stop..

I got most games played in ranked, i got atm 180 CR (not that i even care...). If should sit and pick my oppos all the time i wouldnt have played that many games at all.
High CR doesnt equal one being "powergamer" "cherrypicker" whatever you call it, some play to have fun, like me. Some play to get high CR, some for teambuilding, some to kill a lot, some to try and go elf all the way... We have different ways of looking at what is fun, stop trying to change other, but accept that we are different instead.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 13:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Emphasy wrote:
Please stop..

I got most games played in ranked, i got atm 180 CR (not that i even care...). If should sit and pick my oppos all the time i wouldnt have played that many games at all.
High CR doesnt equal one being "powergamer" "cherrypicker" whatever you call it, some play to have fun, like me. Some play to get high CR, some for teambuilding, some to kill a lot, some to try and go elf all the way... We have different ways of looking at what is fun, stop trying to change other, but accept that we are different instead.

You have CR180? Most games played> win % 69%

Every game you play must be a cherry pick!

Cherry picker! Cherry picker! Burn him! burn him! He's an affront to decent people everywhere!

OK, I take it back.

Just funnin' Smile

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 13:49 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
Problem with cherrypicking is that we use it as a category.

THERE ARE NO CHERRYPICKERS. Those who do cherrypick consistently are powergamers.

The cherrypicking is itself is something we all did once in a while. Cause we wanted a relaxing match, cause we had enough of rough games and wanted some easy challenge, cause the guy challenged us, cause he was the only one in range, cause he is a RL friend, no matter how much he sucks at bb...

We all cherrypick once in a while.
And those who do that more than 6/7 every 10 games or so are not cherrypickers but powergamers.

Cherrypicking is the act of accepting - offering a challenge we know it's not even (in our experience). We all did that.
Powergaming is achieving success (win ratio, high CR, whatever) by the constant use of cherrypicking.

Cherrypicker is an adjective for a SINGLE game choice. Trying to label coaches with an adjective indicating an action we all performed in our bb history is the big flaw in our logic, imho.

well skyjunkie's definition is nice but not completely exact.

Well, if I am low ranked (and I was) I might accept with pleasure a challenge of a high ranked coach (I did). So when I ask for a fine offer, I never tell myself "oh if I was weak as him, I would never play a genius like myself" Very Happy

ps: don't debate about the fact I am or not a genius. That's obvious :p

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 13:56 Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="Emphasy"]Please stop..

[quote]

hehe just checked a couple of your teams to bask in your glory Razz

Humans Vs cr143
Humans vs cr143
Humans vs cr 148
dawgs vs cr133
dawgs vs cr143
dawgsvs cr148
dawgs vs cr147
dawgs vs cr148
dawgs vs cr157 woah
dawgs vs cr141
Emphasy

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 14:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Ohh yes, take a few games out of more than 2200 games play...

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=1112914 <--- i also play games like that

As i wrote earlier, i play to have fun. i dont care about CR, therefor i dont look at CR when accepting games or asking for games
Sysiphos

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 14:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Emphasy wrote:
Ohh yes, take a few games out of more than 2200 games play...

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=1112914 <--- i also play games like that

/Me smashs an egg over Emph´s head Cool You picker (2 TS more than the dorfs)!
Grey

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 14:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I know I was only messing with ya Razz , at low tr a lot of players are new or inexperienced so newer teams are likely to play some low cr guys Evil or Very Mad
pac

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 14:08 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Is this the 'Official' Fumbbl definition of cherrypicking? Is it in the help?
I think that an official definition would help clarify some of these arguments.

Personally, I think that the definition without the 'constantly' still fits 'cherry pick'. Even if you only do it one game in fifty. The person on gamefinder does not know how often you do it. All they see is an unfair match up and an attempt to 'cherry pick'.

I think you're looking for a definition for the verb 'to cherry-pick', whereas SkiJunkie's definition is of a 'cherry-picker'.

The person who is challenged does not <i>know</i> how often you do it, no: but they can very easily find out by checking your match record and match stats.

I can't see there being an official definition while there are no rules against cherry-picking. A generally-accepted definition would be a great step forward, as it seems clear that different people mean quite different things at the moment.

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 14:27 Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="Grey"][quote="Emphasy"]Please stop..

Quote:

hehe just checked a couple of your teams to bask in your glory Razz

Humans Vs cr143
Humans vs cr143
Humans vs cr 148
dawgs vs cr133
dawgs vs cr143
dawgsvs cr148
dawgs vs cr147
dawgs vs cr148
dawgs vs cr157 woah
dawgs vs cr141

Heh, I am one of those teams in that bunch. Replay the game and see how "easy" it was. Part of the reason my CR is so low is I enjoy playing with my flings and my necros. I lose a lot with them. What I don't get is why people are so concerned with CR. I play to have fun. You guys remember what fun is? What the hell does a number on someone coaches profile have to do with your fun? Are you jealous? Get a therapist, tell them that you are insecure and get over it.

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 15:17 Reply with quote Back to top

i don´t look at coach rating when accepting games
i thinkl system is weighted anyway, so that 180 coach winning over 130 coach don't get a lot rating pts
and if 130 coach wins he gets a huge lumb of pts. This maybe why *some* high-CR get exceptionally whiny when dice are against them (because they loose a lot of points)

i think most care more about individual teams records and team survival

i got wood elf team http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=116734

And i really like them and in theory i play any fair opponent (you can see i played more or less a random mix of opponents). but after placing on gamefinder i can get 3-4 offers very fast. So i tend to choose the least bashy offer because... well... if i get mauled over really good thats more than just a game lost. its struggling for several matches to replace players, being kinda forced to go for elfy opponents... at high team rating rebuilding is very hard (for me anyway). Sometimes i do play really bad match ups, thats how i learned this lesson Smile

So I guess I (sometimes) do carefully consider match ups and by some definition chery pick. But it has nothing to do with coach rating and everything to do with team survival. I admire much those that can play 100+ matches with elves against a lot of bash teams and still have a team. Thats what i try to do and its more important to me than 180 CR or whatever (like i could ever get that anyway lol).
Smess

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 15:42 Reply with quote Back to top

At times like these I think fumbbl would be a better place without a forum, or maybe future threads about fouling, stalling and CR just should be blocked upon appearence. It's the same discussions and the same crap (and yes I include my own crap) over and over and over again.
Hardly ever there is a thread actually worth reading.

Anyway, the thread will die, and nothing will have changed, just like the times before. Why bother?
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Also, can we move away from this whole thing about "High-CR Coaches" cherrypick.

The amount of times a low CR coach has challenged my Goblins with 20 TS higher Dwarves is rediculous, but I just laugh it off and say 'no thanks' as anyone not interested in a game for any reason should!

The orignal poster alluded to me refusing a game where his 2 Claw team challenged my AV7's ... I am sure Claw versus AV7 is is a fun match up anyone would look forward too ... wait, maybe not ...
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 15:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Smess wrote:
At times like these I think fumbbl would be a better place without a forum, or maybe future threads about fouling, stalling and CR just should be blocked upon appearence. It's the same discussions and the same crap (and yes I include my own crap) over and over and over again.

Anyway, the thread will die, and nothing will have changed, just like the times before. Why bother?

why bother?

Easy, I might make a joke in the thread. Look forward for it.

Wait on me my sons, my genius skills will show up soon! Cool

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Smess wrote:

I wonder why you bothered, then. And you bothered twice.
Very Happy

As for the why... to let new ppl have their say. And to let us old geeks to state our points again and again and again and again and again...
Hey, real life out there is scary... Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 15:58 Reply with quote Back to top

.... and everybody knows I am the greatest cherrypicker of them all. At least I was when I suddently found myself at CR 190... luckily I'm way below that now.