27 coaches online • Server time: 08:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Exempt teams
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How long have you been playing?
Day one, around 2003 (Christer vote here!)
26%
 26%  [ 24 ]
33%
 33%  [ 30 ]
25%
 25%  [ 23 ]
2006.. nOOb..
13%
 13%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 89

Wizard

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 14:13 Reply with quote Back to top

After posting this in another thread:

Quote:

My 11 Thugz were an early team back in the day when most people were still trying to figure out how to play.
2 - 3 years later, and no new significant rules changes means there are a BIG bunch opf core players out there that understand how everything works now all the way down to selecting your opponenets.
Back when the Thugz were active, it would have been easier to get games because :

1. New coaches that would take most games that came there way.
2. Not many opponents to play against anyway as the membership still needed to grow
3. The ranking system would have been just settleing into peoples brains (these days its a basic "no" to any coach of higher than 155 - in my experience anyway)

The current day fumbbl community is made up of some hard core gamers that really dislike losing there little pixels and really like to build there teams up, thus they take games that are easy to win.

Just some thoughts anyway

i got thinking about how the older players of fumbbl remember how things were back when it all first started.
If any of you "originals" are still out there, i would like to know your thoughts on how the fumbbl community has evolved for better/worse.

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 14:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Well.. one thing is for sure...

The forum thread topics have not changed.

Post 13 Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 15:58
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I arived late 2003, so not at the start but not that long afterwards.

Sadly things do seem to have gotten a 'little' worse. People are more concerned with their own pleasure than sustaining a community where we can all relax and play games.

There does seem to be a great deal more aggressive attittudes around.

Fouling is even more endemic, and to me very importantly, less about winning the game than about having a 'hard rep' and getting cheers from spectators.

even the legendary Wuhan, who was as big a psycho foul monkey as they come, did it with a style and sense of humour almost totally lacking in the current community. To me there is a nastier 'feel' to the current crop of uber foulers. They seem to gain pleasure from the distress of others. maybe Wuhan is partly to blame, he got so famous for his style that countless people seek to be the new Wuhan. Well tough, he was THE ONE, he did it first and he did it best. Anyone else is simply an amstrad version. Dell to his IBM.

Unforgivably there is also a total disregard to the health of the community. The number of times i have seen new coaches arrive on IRC and post 'hi' or 'can someone help me' and be totally ignored at best, or abused at worst, is frightening.

Maybe it's down to age and the loss of many of the original crew, but people seem to take fumbbl for granted more and more. i wonder if they will regret this should Christer lose interest and turn the whole thing off.

Every community needs new blood. people leave, they need replacing.

On the plus side the site is far more user friendly. the community IS currently healthy and has a decent number of active players and there are nioce friendly people out there (anyone who helps in A springs to mind, and the bunch that started academy as an idea then got huffy when it became so popular Christer adopted it).

And in spite of the above comments as to tone there are actually substancially less flame wars here than on most, if not all other, gaming sites i know and have been involved with.

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

29 Feb 2004 man!

I don't see much of a difference between 2004 and today.

I still find ppl quite friendly here. And some new guys (pac, to state a name that comes to mind) are giving some nice fresh air.

Last edited by JanMattys on %b %23, %2006 - %16:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 16:04 Reply with quote Back to top

2004 , but ive been away for about 15 months Razz
Meech

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 16:11 Reply with quote Back to top

BunnyPuncher wrote:
Well.. one thing is for sure...

The forum thread topics have not changed.

For some reason I found this funny and sad.

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

13 april 2004, after Jan thus (gosh, I thought I was here before him Evil or Very Mad ).

Differences?

Maybe:
-fouls lost a bit of his evilness. tactical fouling is considered as ok.
-One turn threads doesn't exist (anymore?)
-More "Vault is crap threads"
- I am more involved in the community (thus the site is now better- thx thx, call me God Very Happy)
-post count removed
-I was ignored in my first answers now I get answers to things I write
-The gasp has somehow widen in casual gamers and hard core.
-silent bastard attitude remains more unnoticed (I knew Wuhan or Deathgerbils names, but who knows current team killers names?)

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Aah, the good old days...

Well, they're gone and will never come back, so as things change, so unfortunately we have to change too.
The best part in the beginning was, that there was no cherry picking, if someone offered you a game, you took it, since there weren't so many players around. Handicaps? Nah, you played up without handicaps, just for the fun of getting a game...

I still remember I happened to play the 1000th game on Fumbbl... With gobbos and won, the only time ever I made it to the news page Smile

Just noticed, on the forums it says joined august 2nd, were those dates reset when the server was upgraded?

Last edited by odi on %b %23, %2006 - %18:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
prophane

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

i started fumbbl-ing back on Feb 18, 2003. not quite day one, but it was a loooong time ago, to say the least.

Dooby

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah the good old days when trees wouldn't turn up first half and your flings would get pummelled.
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 18:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually Fumbbl goes back before 2003, sort off. Just not that automated and easy to use Smile.

-Mnemon
Macavity

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 18:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Back in the day, I was not here, ergo, it was dull. Next question?

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 18:42 Reply with quote Back to top

wow.. i apparently joined back in march 2004.. but i hadnt started actually playing games properly till very recently! now that i'm a mediocre coach i can lose AND win.. not just lose.. which is why i didnt play much before! i'm such a baby! haha

PandaPower

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 18:51 Reply with quote Back to top

There isn't a "I can't remember option"... Some people have memories even shorter than a goldfish's apparently, considering Macavity can still remember ... 2005 / 2006 im not sure :p

Edit: Maybe i should have looked at previous posts, it says next to my name (p.s. yay now i can vote!)
Azurus

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 19:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Had to check my bio to find out...but it seems it was March 17th 2003.

I do think the community has worsened. At the start, the only people on where those who were already BB addicts, and thus played tabletop. As fumbbl got older, it attracted increasing numbers of people who were 'internet gamers' before BB players, many have never played a tabletop game. And it's had a detrimental effect on the community, in my opinion.

Of course, my main problem with fumbbl these days is I don't have the time to play any games. Don't think I've even posted for months...

NB: Those of you looking at the date to the left of your post to check...that only goes back so far, everyone who joined before August 03 will come up the same...don't remember why.